2012 Chateau Lestruelle

Nicklasss

2012 Chateau Lestruelle

Post by Nicklasss »

Last weekend, for Eastern, some wines opened. Some very uninspiring for the price, like 2015 Domaine J. Chamonard Fleurie or 2014 Bodegas Maranones, some very good like 2015 Pierre Gaillard La dernière vigne Syrah, some completely undrinkable like 2014 Domaine Prudhon Saint-Aubin 1er cru Frionnes (nose was nice, but mouth very very hard), and finally an excellent Médoc that 2012 Chateau Lestruelle.

The 2012 Chateau Lestruelle is not a great wine, but I can say that Maison Bouey with Stéphane Derenoncourt achieved a very typical Médoc, respecting the terroir, the vintage and the grape. Medium dark red, defined aromas of blackberries, smoke, violet flowers, black currants and earthy mineral. In mouth, soft but with a good presence, fruity, light austerity, strong mineral kinda lead with black licorice, fresh 2012, not very long but genuine and deserving very well the aoc. Of course, you can look for and drink more expensive wine, but at the end, this 2012 Chateau Lestruelle is representing the real Médoc most northern wines, produced simply, without any fla fla. Tn: 87.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Re: 2012 Chateau Lestruelle

Post by AKR »

Thanks for the note. I saw some 2010 at one point a few years ago, but can't remember if I squirreled away a bottle or not. I did not recognize / know the name at the time.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Good value early drinking wine.
Belongs to up-and-coming négociant, maison Bouey.

AR
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Out of four or five Medocs from the 2010 vintage I tried, the Lestruelle was my least favorite. Not a bad wine but very sweet and simple. 85% merlot in that vintage. I found that the other wines, which all contained at least 40% cabernet, were just much more like the classic Bordeaux style I appreciate.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

70 % merlot and 30 % cabernet sauvignon for the 2012. Like I wrote, not great, but defining really well what should be a ''basic early drinking claret'' today.

Nic