2005 D'Issan uncorked

jckba

2005 D'Issan uncorked

Post by jckba »

Was in the mood for a Margaux today to go along a fatty hanger steak as my mom cut me some lilacs that are about to bloom and boy did this one deliver initially that is.

Decanted 2 hours and the nose changed dramatically within this span from a floral and Margaux berry driven nose to a darker blackberry, cedar and tobacco nose that lead way towards a silky, full bodied palate that echoed similar flavors along with a floral note that lingered ever so pleasantly on the long finish. 94 points

I will also add that I much preferred it upon opening as it was much more perfumed and elegant, but the longer it sat in the decanter, the more it changed and the pencil shavings theme (aka wood) emerged from being a component to dominating the nose and that really changed my impression.
Attachments
2005D'Issan.JPG
2005D'Issan.JPG (147.34 KiB) Viewed 523 times
AKR

Re: 2005 D'Issan uncorked

Post by AKR »

I don't know why but I find getting hanger steaks as well as skirt steak (cut the way I'm use to) much harder out here than in NYC. Basically if I want those I have to go to Corti Bros. here.

Did you fry up your own o-rings too? impressive
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice comment and picture jckba.

Sound like a great Chateau d'Issan. So from a split, seem like the 05 Issan is ok to be consumed now, and for long.

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I love "bavette".
There are two types in France: "bavette l'aloyau" which my dictionaries say is "flank steak" and bavette de flanchet" is called "skirt steak".
"Onglet" is described as "thick skirt steak".

I'll be danged if I know the difference. Fact is, the beasts are butchered differently here.
I don't know the difference with "hanger steak" either...

In any event, the French way to cook all of the above is grilled with shallots (either raw or cooked in butter).
Yum!
It is not a tender cut of beef, but it is an extremely tasty one.

As for 2005 Isaan, I find it very interesting that you found it better upon opening than later on with aeration.

Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Our friends are ranchers, and my understanding is that the traditional hanger steak is named because it dangles when the carcass is hung from the hook.

The skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle underneath the lungs.

And the flank comes from the underbelly near the back end of the steer.

All that being said, markets are a little fast and loose with the names.

Even when there is a proper butcher counter, an ever dwindling rarity in our modern society, which prefers case ready meat.