TN:06 du Tertre [Margaux] 98 Clos Fourtet [St Emilion] et al

AKR

TN:06 du Tertre [Margaux] 98 Clos Fourtet [St Emilion] et al

Post by AKR »

Bill and I, along with other members of the small local cadre, got together to sample some wines tonight. All were tasted under double blind conditions, which might have been a little disconcerting at first, but is instructive. I felt like I was in tune with their character though.

I believe most of these were held since release.

=========

NV Bruno Pailliard 'Rose' [Champagne] A light airy rose to start with. I've not tried them before. Very likable.

06 du Terte [Margaux] This shows young, vanilla oak. Over time it richens up, and improves with my oily caesar style salad. Despite being a tweener, its still very youthful to me, dark in hue. I have not had younger du Tertre in many years, perhaps the last experience was a 1996 at age 20 or so. IIRC Giscours and du Tertre have some relationship, so enthusiasts might find that if they enjoy one, they'll like the other.

98 Clos Fourtet [St Emilion] This was my contribution to the table, and my only hint to the loyalists, was the cryptic word - limestone. One of the group is a winemaker and familiar with typicite, and suggested it was a 1990 St Emilion, which is a good call for a double blind tasting. Despite its age, it shows little bricking, with some minty/herbal cab franc notes. There is still a light touch of tannin, despite the double decanting 24 hours ahead of time. I'd consider this a very traditional example for the AOC.

00 Roberto Voerzio 'La Morra' [Barolo] I'd drunk a Barbaresco over the weekend, and this seemed to have some attributes, so I didn't think it was a difficult wine to typecast, despite blind. It showed lots of road tar, anaesthetic, rubbery notes to me. Later on the palate one picks up mint, and eucalyptus. But there is still lots of underlying fine grained tannin. It pairs well with the food, but is a long way from being resolved. My guess was Piedmontese nebbiolo, although villages/vineyards are beyond my ken.

93 Guigal 'La Mouline' [Cote Rotie] Although blind, the bottle shape here gives some cues. My guess was that this was a fully mature Rhone. Bill suggested it was syrah based. It's very balanced and rich. One doesn't pick up excessive oak today. All around delicious. We encouraged our waiter to try some, and take a picture, since he was 'wine curious'. There is only a light sediment. I pretty much love anything Marcel Guigal makes.

We had a couple more bottles of wine in the satchels, but its a school night, and we're not 20 anymore, so those were left to live another day. Good times all around. Ten22 was a great venue, and gave us the superb corner circular dinette table, absolutely perfect for tastings.
William P

Re: TN:06 du Tertre [Margaux] 98 Clos Fourtet [St Emilion] et al

Post by William P »

Thanks Arv for setting this dinner up. The blind tasting was fun though I realized how poorly I do at this type of challenge. Still the wines while different were palate pleasers. Nice to see the we (Sacramento) are finally gathering momentum towards a healthy wine group.
JimHow

Re: TN:06 du Tertre [Margaux] 98 Clos Fourtet [St Emilion] et al

Post by JimHow »

I like that you did this totally blind.
That is BWE ballsiness.