So what's the story with this Tour St. Dildo stuff?

JimHow

So what's the story with this Tour St. Dildo stuff?

Post by JimHow »

I keep hearing how they are "building their brand." <rolls eyes>
Put me in the "very skeptical" camp.
If it is SO good -- like, 95-97 point good -- how is it selling for $24.99 in 2015 and 2016, two supposedly great Bordeaux vintages?
I've ordered a few bottles of the 2015 en futuro, but those won't be in for a while.
Has anyone other than pomerollover actually tried this wine?
Nicklasss

Re: So what's the story with this Tour St. Dildo stuff?

Post by Nicklasss »

I won't answer as I have so many bad word play to go with dildo.

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I haven't seen any mention of wood in the wine notes I've read.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Racer Chris wrote:I haven't seen any mention of wood in the wine notes I've read.
It's not a question of wood it's more a question of is it any good ... oh wait, I see what you did there :mrgreen:
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:I keep hearing how they are "building their brand." <rolls eyes>
Put me in the "very skeptical" camp.
If it is SO good -- like, 95-97 point good -- how is it selling for $24.99 in 2015 and 2016, two supposedly great Bordeaux vintages?
I've ordered a few bottles of the 2015 en futuro, but those won't be in for a while.
Has anyone other than pomerollover actually tried this wine?
You rang? Trust me Jim, any Bordeaux wine you are ever going to want to know about is on my site :mrgreen:

But as I'm done writing up 600 tasting notes for 2016 Bordeaux, and have time to hang for a bit, hopefully this will help.

http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... eaux-wine/
AKR

Post by AKR »

At one point Garagiste was selling the 2015 for $20, EP.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but there may be some reluctance to buy unknown estates EP, and thus the prices, for a wine which has some critical regard, but no installed user base of enthusiasts.

So perhaps these are promotional prices to get them into people's cellar racks, and hopefully into their glasses.

But the amounts of emails I get for the estate is bizarrely disproportionate to its production.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I predict Tour St Christophe 2018 or 2019 BWE WOTY!! First Chinese owned/produced wine to be worthy of the honour on this board. Never tasted it but I'm looking forward to the futures order arriving in 2018 taking her for a test ride.Has to be better than 2012 Barde Haute...2016 WOTY!! :D
Danny
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I've tried and imho, it's certainly not worth 95-97p, too high score.

With this high score, it would mean, that this wine is better then Corbin, La Lagune and Petit Village. Never.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Izak,

Seems like you nevertheless liked it even though not up to your comparative Chateau that may be stylistically different or is it something else? Certainly the latter day Parkerized highly rated overoaked/extracted wines in no way compared pointwise to many of my favourite old style Bordeaux wines. By my readings it seems this wine may be crafted in a new world Parkerized fashion??? Putting a wine on a relative point scale can be confusing. How many 98 pt Aussie shiraz's / German riesling's/Cali Cabs etc etc have I tried that I wouldn't give 80pts because I don't like their style. 2012 Barde Haute was 2016 WOTY and I just didn't get Jim's excitement when we tried it in San Francisco. Not a bad wine but not to my style and I didn't think it had the stuffing to place it in such lofty company with other BWE WOTYs but that's just me and maybe we just have differing palates.
Danny
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Danny,

I gave it 91p. I liked it but this wine isn't a big deal, just well-made and tastes well, but the stuffing isn't as in the others. All my 419 ratings - http://www.greatbordeauxwines.com/vinta ... -2015/2016

95-97p in my rating scale is between "very focused wine with great precision, personality and complexity" and "truly remarkable wine with lot of style and class, great, great potential, fabulously made".

I hope you can figure out what I mean.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

greatbxfreak wrote:I've tried and imho, it's certainly not worth 95-97p, too high score.

With this high score, it would mean, that this wine is better then Corbin, La Lagune and Petit Village. Never.
I do not agree. I gave it 94-96 Pts and for me, it's a much better wine than all the wines you mentioned. So, there you have it :mrgreen:
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Jeff,

It's your palate.

However I don't quite understand wine writers underestimating La Lagune and Petit Village, some of these are big guns.

I visited Tour St.Christophe last year during harvest and tasted quite good 2015. It's maybe better in 2016, than some GCCs, but I'm not convinced at all, that it's better than Corbin Michotte (GC), Clos St. Martin and Grands Murailles. 94-96p means wine with great distinction and great potential...

I'll retaste about 35 2016s in Copenhagen early September and probably several 2015s/2014s.
stefan

Post by stefan »

"However I don't quite understand wine writers underestimating La Lagune"

Chant with me, Izak: "La Lagune sucks; La Lagune sucks; La Lagune sucks". I do that whenever I am around wine critics who can affect prices.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I apologize for the thread drift but Stefan, judging by the fact that you appear to be a die hard La Lagune fan, do you see any stylistic changes since Caroline Frey took over the estate and do you believe that they are making their best wines ever now (barring that 100% Cabernet 2013 offering) or ... ?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Time will tell, jckba. Recent La Lagunes have been fruit forward young, while older ones generally were not even if they matured earlier than many classified Medocs. OTOT, 1996 La Lagune was very good from the beginning and is drinking beautifully now as well. Probably the differences are more due to the weather than to winemaking practice. I do not notice a stylistic change. Except for 2013, which is NOT a La Lagune, as the Estate itself proclaims on its label.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Stefan - Well I have the several of the 2009 and 2010 and I would be happy to pop them both in the name of science if you are ever in the tri-state area.
stefan

Post by stefan »

That would be great, jckba. I have a case of the 2010 but have have not tasted it since release. I bought a case of the 2009; unfortunately, from Premier Cru...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Stefan, Jan, and other BWEers at La Lagune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kZaUnaPF8
William P

Post by William P »

I'm sitting here in Hawaii reading this and, again, I must agree with Stefan, LaLagune sucks. For those who made the mistake of buying this swirl of any vintage, I'll take it off your hands - at fire sale prices. Regards to all. Sorry, it's time snorkel.

Bill
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I opened my bottle of 2014 last night. A bit of a rubbery character on opening. Not as intense as some RB wines but noticeable. I suppose if I had time to decant for a while it would blow off.
Otherwise I had no trouble downing 3 glasses around dinner. I'll see what the rest is like tonight.
It will surely benefit from a few more years in the cellar. The tannins are quite drying for now.