Bberg on Bdx frost

Comte Flaneur

Re: Bberg on Bdx frost

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Alfred Tesseron said he lost three hectares to frost (out of 81) but he lost 60 % of his cognac crop
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Alfred Tesseron said he lost three hectares to frost (out of 81) but he lost 60 % of his cognac crop
Wondering when Tesseron said 'lost three hectares to frost'....does that mean, 3 hectares of vines were lost and needs replanting? or 3 hectares of grape production is lost this year? I presume it's the latter...

Just curious...Does severe weather such as frost can do such a damage that it would warrant replanting of vines?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes the latter CV

On the second point I doubt it but I will let the experts chime in
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Frost alone won't kill the vines, just that season's crop if it hits at the wrong time. If it's really really cold long enough it can kill the vines. I don't know how cold for how long but there have been a few brutal winters in past centuries where significant numbers of vines died off.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

When I was thinking of planting a few vines in Virginia I recall reading that -5 F is cold enough to kill some vinifera types. I believe Cab Franc is one of the hardier varieties. Now, hybrids, considering the production in the Finger Lakes and also the Great Lakes regions, I assume can withstand much colder temperatures.
AKR

Post by AKR »

If its a really bad frost and damages the vines that would suck.

The 1991 frost year might have compounded the poor weather problems experienced in 1992 and 1993.

And in the fullness of time 1994 has ended up more in the functional/useful camp than memorable/pleasurable camp.

It might ever so slightly push me toward buying a few wines EP.