Robert Parker has sunk to a new low

Rudi Finkler

Re: ROBERT PARKER HAS SUNK TO A NEW LOW

Post by Rudi Finkler »

And I thought this forum would be a nice place for real Bordeaux enthusiasts... but it seems to be a nice kindergarten for Parker/Squires dispraisers and haters.... :shock:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Aww I'm so sorry to disappoint you, Rudi.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

:( :( :(
jal

Post by jal »

Again, if you don't like a thread, don't read it.

The Parker bashing is fairly new on BWE. At one point or another, any disagreement with Parker was mainly because of his taste, never because of his character. We all bought wines in the past based on his reviews and while he was not always correct, and his taste may have changed to the more spoofulated style, we never once thought he (or his independent contractors and employees) was dishonest in his reviews.

At this point, however, what he has shown is not only a lack of integrity but an unprecedented arrogance. I speak only for myself, but I, as a customer of the Wine Advocate, feel like I've been taken for a ride. I have said so before, but I will repeat it again; these guys (Parker, Squires, Miller) are using my subscription money to supplement their lifestyle and not to provide me with a service. They are at best helping their buddies sell me their products and at worst, taking bribes. They are also arrogant in that they think they can just go ahead and delete any threads questioning them.

I think that as customers we deserved better than some half-baked apology by Mr. Jay Miller and a statement by Parker claiming he "disciplined" him. Give me a break - and they expect me to buy wines based on their objective and honest assessment? I don't think so. I have canceled my subscription to the Wine Advocate and to the eroberparker.com website.
Best

Jacques
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Folks,
I have stayed out of the debate as I don't think there is a lot more to say.
But I'll just make a few comments.

I have been threatened with being kicked off ERP/Squires board as I teased some of the arch terroirists and had a bit of frissance with one particular pom writer and a German wine importer (who I felt were spruiking their own wares). The first was when I asked if they were part of a secret society that sacrificed goats around campfires at midnight and spoke ion toungues to the terroir gods. The English writer is now quite famous and has the most annoyingly turgid, florid writing style.... Oh well.

I have been quite surprised how many have been bumped out. Some admitedly were annoying jerks but I just ignored the egos and the sophistry.

I have not used ERP for months and quite frankly, could not be bothered.

I do use a few local (Australian) boards and with one exception, the behaviour is pretty good. many are friends.

I do however think that Squires is hypocritical at times and has been very rude to Michael Boradbent and a few others over the years, and RP is now being somewhat duplicitious.

Having said that, I do think it is time to move on.