The fraud that is Grand Puy Lacoste.

JimHow

Re: The fraud that is Grand Puy Lacoste.

Post by JimHow »

We had a 1985 GPL with Nic in Nashville, what was it, Nic, about 3-4 years ago?
It showed nicely for a very brief period during dinner but quickly dropped off.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

If it makes anyone feel better, Jim and Jacques have a more general aversion to GPL than most of us on this site.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A brief period of 60-70 min Jim. It is because they could smell the nice aromas of the 1985 GPL on you, that those four/five ladies came to you after the dinner...

:-).

Nic
Jürgen Steinke

Post by Jürgen Steinke »

Jim,

I am not upset. And I have no problem with other opinions. Thats life. My only complaint is that overblown language. GPL is fraud ... 09 is undrinkable ... I find this insulting to the people who stand behind GPL ... the owner, winemaker and people who think GPL is fine ... if you say you do not like this wine ... ok.
jal

Post by jal »

By that logic, I should not criticize a restaurant because I'll be disrespecting the chef, cooks, waiters, and the rest of the staff.
I should not criticize a movie because I'll be disrespecting the director, screenwriter, actors and everyone else involved in production.
Same with books, works of art, architecture, etc...

Let's just stop criticizing, we may offend someone!
Best

Jacques
Jürgen Steinke

Post by Jürgen Steinke »

That is certainly not what I wrote and meant. You made a caricature of my former post. Did you read it actually?
jal

Post by jal »

I read your post
You're complaining of overblown language
I disagree it's overblown
Best

Jacques
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jacques,
Welcome to post-modernism.
In 2020, it is fine if you are a murderer, rapist, pedophile or dope pusher provided that you don't offend the fragile sensibilities of snowflakes or disagree with them.
Even worse, disagree with somebody who identifies as a being part of some minority. In that case, you are sexist, racist, transphobic, Islamophobic, misogynist, or whatever meaningless slogan is touted at the time.
Now if you are just an old white guy like me, you are clearly an oppressive overlord with unearned privilege. Of course that ignores the fact that my parents died when I was young, I had to work part time throughout high school and sell everything I ever owned to avoid starving to death. Merely being white and male makes me the enemy of 94% of the world's population.
Yes I know I am being obtuse but in my world there was always room for divergence of opinion and different views are to be respected.
I would of course not just be laughed at in 2020, I would be burnt at the stake for even thinking that different a point of view can be tolerated.
Western societies are becoming like China. You think like us or we will destroy you.
There can only be diversity of identity characters (race, religion, gender, sexual preferences, whatever) but never, ever of opinion or ideas.

As for GPL, it has been an irregular performer in my mind. I did like the 88 and 90 and quaffed down cases of them.
I did not like the 96 or 2000 much and sent them to auction. Bought cases EP.
I am surprised that the auctioneers did not have me executed for my folly.
Jürgen Steinke

Post by Jürgen Steinke »

My last comment to this issue. Fraud is a criminal act. Is GPL a criminal operation? I think it would be helpful if everybody is sensitive with words. But that seems to be more and more difficult. Especially in the internet.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol. Good grief.
Lock them up.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:.
So maybe the word “fraud” is hyperbole for making my point, but the point nonetheless is that I think GPL has been a major underachiever for a terroir from that region. And others agree with me.
Jürgen Steinke wrote:My last comment to this issue. Fraud is a criminal act. Is GPL a criminal operation? I think it would be helpful if everybody is sensitive with words. But that seems to be more and more difficult. Especially in the internet.

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
"he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"

Examples of Hyperboles:

1. It's already been said MILLION TIMES on this thread that the word 'Fraud' about GPL is a Hyperbole...
2. If I had liked GPL, I would easily DRINK MY BODY WEIGHT in GPL...
3. Well, 2003 GPL was hotter than SATAN'S HOUSE CAT...

How dare you use a hyperbole on a wine forum, Jim? :twisted:
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

(x^2/a^2) - (y^2/b^2) = GPL?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jurgen,
You should try reading my post above.
Sad when metaphors and hyperbole are considered crimes.

Chateau Vin
I wonder what breed satan's cat is.
And how come you can talk about 2003 Bordeaux without getting thrown in hell??
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jurgen,
You should try reading my post above.
It is sad when metaphors and hyperbole are considered crimes.
Next we will have to appoint a trust and safety council to screen all posts, rate them, edit, censor or ban them.

Chateau Vin
I wonder what breed satan's cat is.
And how come you can talk about 2003 Bordeaux without getting thrown in hell??
tiesface

Post by tiesface »

ahem, a fair rate on the '16 below, with free shipping. To my palate, this one is worth your time. My previous favorite vintages: '96, '10, '14, and '16. Mediocre: '05 Misses: '02, '06, '12, '15

https://www.finewinesinternational.com/ ... ance-750ml
tbabes

Post by tbabes »

I remember reading this thread a couple of years ago, and bit my tongue in responding. I am a huge fan of Grand Puy Lacoste, and it is on the short list of my favorite Bordeaux. I haven’t tasted anything newer than 2005, although I have a case of the 2016 sleeping in the cellar. My favorite vintages, in order of preference are 1990, 1982, 1996, 1995, 2005, 2000, 1989. I’ve had (for my taste) perfect bottles of both the ‘82 and ‘90, and was blown away by the 2005, tasted blind, at a Chaîne tasting a few months ago...I think it will be a shining star for several decades. Anyway, I’m still puzzled by how a Bordeaux lover could so despise GPL, but there’s plenty of Bordeaux for everyone! And maybe a little more GPL for me...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm glad you love it, tbabes.

As I think I've said elsewhere here in this thread, I think Phil Bernstein, the Bordeaux buyer at MacArthur's in Washington said to me and Nicola when we were there a couple years ago:

"For decades, Grand Puy Lacoste has underperformed its terroir."

I think that pretty accurately reflects my view. Phil Bernstein also said, however, that he has seen a big improvement since the daughter took over the winemaking. I don't know if she was involved with the 2014, but I really liked that $50 wine the one time I had it, so much so that I bought another six bottles. I have not had any vintages subsequent to 2014.