BWE NYC wine gathering: July 11th

Blanquito

BWE NYC wine gathering: July 11th

Post by Blanquito »

Fellow BWEers,

A group is convening in NYC on July 11th to partake of good wine and better company.

At the moment, the definite guests include:
- Blanquito (myself)
- JimHow (our beloved BD)
- Ramon (in NYC)
- Chasse Spleen (Jim Morrison)

Anyone interested in joining us? We were thinking of a group around 8, but if there’s more interest, we could scale up to as many as 12.

The theme is fluid (double entendre intended) at the moment, but we are thinking of opening some BWE stalwarts from Sociando-Mallet, Lagrange, Lafon-Rochet and Pontet-Canet. Unless they are horribly closed right now, the long-anticipated 2003 S-M vs. 2003 P-C showdown will be a featured event.

Best,
Patrick
Comte Flaneur

Re: BWE NYC wine gathering: July 11th

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I will be with you spiritually Patrick and enjoy accounts of the evening vicariously
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Patrick,

Ramon (in NYC)? I gotta get a cool and catchy handle ... a la "Jim Morrison".

Looking forward to the SM-PC showdown. I don't have much of the other producers, but, I can bring '03s of both wines and/or the Lagrange, or I can bring and stage the PC vs SM 2002 (this vintage has got me curious with Houndsongs TN on the 2002 Clerc Milon).

Somehow, I feel that we can slot in the Branaire Ducru in the mix. Imho, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Branaire Ducru would be in the same category as the ones that youl listed. I have some of these, too.

Comte: Thanks for wishing the evening well. Hopefully, we can set something up when you're back.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I had the 2003 Lagrange this week and it was as awkward as a constipated duck

The 1996, on the other hand, which I had tonight, was pure silk
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Was the '96 as good as our bottle last year?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Probably yes Patrick - it was was very good especially after an hour in a decanter; classic St-Julien/(hint of Pauillac) pencil lead, cedar with subtle fruit, a silky palate and a long finish. A gorgeous wine, not a heavy hitter, but a wine with fine poise and equilibrium, you only find in Bordeaux. I note it is now entering its plateau - I doubt that is true for the LLC - but I am very happy for the $66 I paid (I bought nine).
jal

Post by jal »

Jeez, Jill and I are supposed to go to Nova Scotia that weekend. If that falls through and there is still room, we'd love to join.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Hi Jacques, I sent you a PM.

If it makes any difference for folks' schedules, we can meet either on the 9th and 10th if those dates are better.

Cheers,
Patrick
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I agree with the earlier comments that the 1996 lagrange is a great wine. I tasted this wine (again) several weeks ago and I think it is one of the best wines Lagrange has made, similar in quality to the 1990 and the 2000. Maybe a bit less flamboyant, but it makes up for it by its perfect balance and purity. For me, it is one step better than the BWE favourite SM 1996.

As far a my recent experiences with the 2003's are concerned: the 2003 PC will probably be fine to taste if you give it some exposure to air. Same for SM: the 2003 is probably easier to taste than all other recent SM's. The lafon Rochet 2003 is also very much ready for business. I thought it was a bit forward two years ago, but maybe it has improved in bottle.

Maybe it could be interesting to include a 2003 from the Margaux appelation in the line-up. I've had some less positive experiences with some of these wines and I think this maybe shows the very special nature of the 2003 vintage: some wine are great whereas some other wines are below par.

Enjoy yourselfs in NYC and I look forward to your tasting notes.

ChrisW
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Blanquito wrote:Hi Jacques, I sent you a PM.

If it makes any difference for folks' schedules, we can meet either on the 9th and 10th if those dates are better.

Cheers,
Patrick
It's less than 3 weeks to the proposed dates. At some point, and hopefuilly very soon, we should nail down the exact date in order to afford more flexibility in the logistics. Reservations for venues can get very difficult here in NYC with short notice.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Hi Ramon,

I think we should go for Saturday the 11th. Do you want to confirm with Fabio's? Right now we have 6 folks total.

Cheers,
Patrick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm in for any of those dates, I just need a week's notice.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

OK Jul 11 it is.

For those who have not had the chance to offline at Fabio Piccolo Fiore, it is Italian cuisine along 44th Street between 2nd and 3rd Ave. We've had good offline experiences at Fabio's and we now that we will be treated very well over there.

http://www.fabiopiccolofiore.com/

Just to throw in another option, Square Meal in the Upper East Side serves very good American comfort food with excellent service, also BYOB. Here’s a web blog:

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2008/09/ ... e-nyc.html

Preference?
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I'll check out the Square Meal website shortly, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in re Fabio's. I'm not a huge fan, mostly because I don't think Italian food matches up well with Bordeaux. Also, the only time I was there, they completely overcooked my $45 steak. By the time it came, there was no way to send it back. It was completely well done, and I had ordered medium rare. For an Italian offline, I think Fabio's would be excellent. But not for French wine.

-Chris
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've enjoyed Fabio's the 3 wine evenings I've attended there, but I am not attached to it. One time my steak was also over cooked, so I hear you Chris, though the other 2 times things were delicious. So, if there's another wine-friendly restaurant, I'm happy to go there (and it's fun to try new places from time to time).

I checked out the Square Meal website, Ramon, and it looks excellent, so I am happy there too (plus it's closer to where I stay in the city).

Patrick
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

There are a couple of very nice French places near me and I'll talk to them and see if a deal can be made. Times are tough, and they might be amenable. However, Saturday night is always a bit more difficult. I guess everyone is off Cafe Loup. I understand, especially in the summer, the AC is not the best.
-Chris
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

In support of Fabios. They cooked the best Veal Chop I've ever had! If my steak is overcooked I've always sent it back with no problems whereever I've gone. How long does it take to cook a med rare steak, 7-10 min. I'll gladly wait to get my infrequent steak, cooked as I ordered it.

The Wait Staff was superb, as was Fabio. No corkage and I belive he may have compted us on some items. He also served some half orders. I look at his rest as more Steak House than Italian. Aside from some Mushroom Pasta dish (Outstanding), I don't remember anyone ordering Manicotti, Lasagna, Eggplant Parm, most ordered Steak and Chops if my memory serves me well.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Any word on alternate venues, Chris?

I am still very game for Fabio's (see Pappadoc's post), so given the short timeframe, I am all for settling on a venue. If nothing else comes up in a day or twp, let's go for Fabio's. If need be, we will speak to the waitor about the proper temperature of medium rare!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Have we decided what wines we are bringing?
If anyone is interested, in the name of science, I could bring both a 2006 Sociando and 2006 Pontet Canet, plus a Sauternes.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I'd be happy to be able to taste the 2006 PC and SM.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll bring those two wines plus a nice little Sauternes. I was in a nice little Brazilian restaurant on Ninth Avenue last night, near Times Square earlier when I got the text message from my brother Dan that the King of Pop had had a heart attack. My first thought was, I hope Elton is alright!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

It's no go on the really nice French bistro near me, Jean Claude. They wanted $15 per bottle corkage.
-Chris
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

ok, let's go with Fabio's. Do you want to contact Fabio's, Ramon? If not, I can give them a call.

I'll bring the Sociando 2003 and something else.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Blanquito,

Before I contact Fabio's and make the arrangement for 6, and since we know that Italian is not one that Chris prefers, let me offer another option.

I recently had an offline with small local group and we all enjoyed the service and dishes at Allegretti's on 22nd St (bet. 5th and 6th). Everybody in the group commented on the good FRENCH food. Our wines were corkage-free and efficiently served to us by the sommelier, who also organized the flights for us (blind). I can attempt to set it up there, if there's interest.

http://www.allegrettinyc.com/
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Allegretti looks great. Seriously. Let's go for it!

Can you make a corkage-free reservation for 6, Ramon, since you've dined there before? How about 6:30 PM?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

OK, so we're on at Allegretti's. I made the reservation for 6 persons on July 11 at 7 pm.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Ramon, looking forward to it!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks, Ramon. Sounds great.
-Chris
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I'm going along with the shape of the line up, so far. It's tannin galore and I'll bring a 2003 Pontet Canet ... plus another bottle tbd.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great, we need a 2003 PC to kick Houndsound's '03 Sociando across the floor.
Perhaps we should drink that flight blind?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Blind? I'm for it. I was just thinking along the same line.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, for that flight, the main event, we should do blind. We'll know what the wines are, just not which is which. What is that, single blind? No discussion on the wines allowed while they are being tasted, then each person votes at the end, so nobody is influenced by anyone else. It is time to get to the truth.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks for making the booking, Ramon, and great idea on the blind 2003 flight, Jim. I will bring the 2003 Duhart Milon (or we could do a Lafon Rochet 2003, but I do not have any) to round out the flight into 3 blind youngsters.

Should we double-decant these 2003 or will the air cause them to tighten up?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This has shaped up to be a classic BWE tasting, focusing on younger wines.

Here's the line-up so far:
Blanquito: Sociando Mallet 2003 and Duhart Milon 2003
Ramon: Pontet Canet 2003
JimHow: 2006 Sociando and 2006 Pontet Canet, plus a Sauternes
Brendan: St. Pierre 2003
Chasse-Spleen: ?

I plan on opening a Left Bank 2003 before the tasting to see if these are actually drinkable now and to strategize decanting approaches.

We can still accomodate any other BWEers at this point, if there's any late interest, but the window is likely closing soon, given restaurant reservations in NYC.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I could bring a '96 LLC instead, Patrick, if we want something with a little more age on it. Or a '96 Lafon Rochet, Sociando Mallet, or Montrose.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

For my other tbd wine, I was thinking of bringing one that has a little more age on it. How about a '96 Pape Clement, which would be in the same vintage with the '96 that Jim may decide to go with?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yes, let's do a flight of 1996 and another flight of 2003. I'll grab a 1996, something good and not listed (probably a GPL).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok that makes sense, let's do 1996 and 2003.
From 1996 I can bring LLC, GPL, Sociando, Lafon Rochet, Montrose, I also have half bottles of Leoville Barton.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I'm looking for an older wine to bring. I also want to try and recruit a friend of mine to join BWE and come to the dinner. He's a really great guy and loves wine, also plays harp in a band that I've joined. Not sure if he can make it but if so, it would be great if we can squeeze him in.
-Chris
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

We have one floating spot right now for a reservation of 6, so it's your friends if he wants it Chris. If Jacques and Jill free up, it would be great to fit them in too (reservations permitting).