TN 2001 Cantemerle

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2001 Cantemerle

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

From magnum over a couple of weeks, frozen a couple of times. Nice work here. Based on the rep this wine has as a somewhat lighter style of claret, plus the character of the vintage, I was expecting this to be fully ready. It's fully secondary, perhaps even a little more mature than I thought (for comparison, it gave a similar impression as some much older wines of equal or slightly lesser pedigree from stronger vintages). Not a heavy palate impression but nicely balanced with adequate sweetness, mild acidity and light tannins. A touch of caramel in the bouquet. Goes great with ahi poke.

I have the 2010 (or is it 2009?) and 2014 Cantemerle in quantity and I know I tried a bottle of the 10/09 and found it to be very classically styled. It's seems almost odd (sadly) that given it's a fifth growth (albeit with a story, and that it is entitled to the Haut Medoc appellation only) someone hasn't taken this and souped it up. It certainly lags in pricing behind many other fifths (although it does command a some premium to most "cru bourgeois" of the Haut Medoc. Anyway, it's a nice wine and it delivered and solid aged claret experience.
AKR

Re: TN 2001 Cantemerle

Post by AKR »

Sounds good. If I had to save wine, I think putting in small bottles, vacu-vinning them, and putting them in the fridge is about the best one can do sans a Cora Vin or what not. I can't be convinced that freezing doesn't really alter the taste. I can taste the effects of freezing in most normal food, and would rather have fresh.

Supposedly they have a new form of super fast freezing that they use at sea for fish, that chills the filets so fast that ice crystals do not have time to form, and rupture the cellular structure. Supposedly high end sushi fish gets this treatment and Japanese chefs claim they can' tell the difference. But this requires freezing technology that I think goes to -45F, compared to normal freezers that are 5-10F or so.

But on a more practical level, this leftover wine problem is not something we are afflicted with. I used a cup and a half of cheap syrah to make a beef bourgogone last night!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, Cantemerle is really what Bordeaux SHOULD be. Consistently excellent for at least couple decades now. Has anyone tried the 2014 yet?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Orl Bobby and I popped the '83 this weekend

Forest floor/wet leaves, mercurochrome, earthy notes, acidity is fresh, dried maraschino cherry...completely ready and beginning its slow decline...a wonderful drink...consume now!!
marcs

Post by marcs »

Please god I hope no one "soups up" Cantemerle! Not many places to go for the lighter, pure, lower-alcohol Bordeaux experience any more.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

marcs wrote:Please god I hope no one "soups up" Cantemerle! Not many places to go for the lighter, pure, lower-alcohol Bordeaux experience any more.
Amen. Thank goodness, it's a fairly large estate...
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

found a couple of 2001 cantemerle's local here for $50each

lost my job of 16 years a month ago so all I am doing is staring at them like a lost puppy!!! Killing me!!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Sorry to hear about the job - been there myself and went through the same non-buying experience. Good luck on finding something.