Officially on vacation to Paris, 02 Pichon Baron uncorked.

JimHow

Officially on vacation to Paris, 02 Pichon Baron uncorked.

Post by JimHow »

It has been a wild winter/spring in legal, political, and other endeavors, now a brief respite in Paris, heading off tomorrow.
Celebrating with the uncorking of a 2002 Pichon Baron, purchased at $39 last year at MacArthur's in an epic flash sale....
Attachments
FullSizeRender-11.jpg
FullSizeRender-11.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
brodway

Re: Officially on vacation to Paris, 02 Pichon Baron uncorked.

Post by brodway »

if around, you must see Tim in Paris. not only is he a great host, he can point you in the direction of great wine lists and good food.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have indeed been hosted by our man in Paris, Emil, an exhilarating experience. This will not be a BWE trip but I look forward to much food and wine pleasure nonetheless.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Looks like a great way to kick off your vacation.
Have a great time!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks my man, I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
We're flying out of Logan tomorrow.
Have you gotten any 2014 deals in CT.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When I come back from vacation I have to come back and save a 200-year-old city, we are having a big debate:

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2017052 ... ENTEDITION

Ugh.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

One of the great Pichon Barons. Wow, what a finish. My mouth is still feeling that final kick, some two minutes later. It has some 1996 in it, but wonderfully more austere. Stoic. A punch in the teeth, a street fighter, where you catch one flush in the mouth and your gums are bleeding, a little bit numbed. It hurts, stings, bites, but you rally around the sting, the pain, you smile, like Roberto Duran in his prime after he caught one flush in the face, alive now, ready to sting back, way back in the days before he got the living shit kicked out of him by the Hit Man, not sure if your nose is broken, not giving a damn, this has Hemingway and Mailer and the old man in the fucking sea, blood, and salt, and brine, did you know we have as much salt in our blood as there is in the sea, Kennedy heard that once, and he wrote about it in a speech, or so Schlesinger said, anyway, I'm sure they drank many gallons of this type of stuff in the halls of Cambridge and Oxford, damn, ten minutes later and my mouth is still numb, what, wait, there's none left, I'll drink some cold Maine spring water to bring my nerve endings back to life, wait, the cool Maine spring cleanses but I still long for the stolidity, the Minsk-ness of this wine, the sovietness, how can that be, is there truth in suffering, in vino veritas, can we only live if we know suffering, can it be, am I seeing Christ in the purple/ruby of this wine, like some madonna on the internet seen by some crackpot in a deformed cornflake, except, maybe, indeed I AM seeing the Christ, in all His/his passion, in this bottle of Pichon Baron, from that bend in the road on D2, where everything comes together, and I mean EVERYTHING -- love, faith, vulnerability, beauty, bring me Paris, history, Gibbon, Rome, millennia, the Ice Age, Aquitaine, sediment, glaciers, clay, gravel, rocks, earth, forest... forest... buffering the estuary... more sediment... more sediment... more sediment... brown... gray... stone... bone... micro-organisms... micro-fossils... it could turn in either direction... blackness... radiation... Mars... Venus... cold... hot... Mother Earth... Gruaud Larose... heat, ice, radiation... 93 million miles... radiation... radiation... radiation... radiation... radiation... radiation... death... death... death... blackness... blackness... heat... warmth... sediment... estuary... oxygen molecule... carbon... hydrogen... water... air... air.... water... air... water... photosynthesis... speck... speck... death... LIFE... death... LIFE.... LIFE... green... brown... green... more green... more green... more green... yet MORE green... SUN.... more green. Millenia... Bordeaux... Purple. Wonderful purple. Life. Fucking LIFE! And it was good. Dinner tonight... Pichon Baron... 95+ points. Hallelujah.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Faulkner would be proud. Has anyone else noticed how much easier it is to understand the dense parts of Faulkner by reading it aloud?

Just relax and enjoy Paris, Jim - all that crap at home can wait for some moment after your return.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done Tom! I was indeed channeling my inner Fsulkner.
Yes, I am looking forward to putting everything behind for a few days.
tim

Post by tim »

I know you are fairly booked up during your visit, but if you have some time, definitely let me know! And enjoy the City of Lights!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Have you gotten any 2014 deals in CT.
I went to total wine a week ago and had '14 Talbot on my list but there was none in the store. Instead I took a 2012 Gruaud Larose.
I've picked up a few Cru Bourgeois 2014s already but I'm still loading up on remaining '09 and '10 inventory of some of my favorites.

In 10 days we'll be staying at a nice B&B in Friendship, ME to attend my youngest brother's (2nd) wedding at his new farm in Waldoboro.
Looking forward to seeing my brothers and their families again.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This 02 Pichon Baron looks marvellous, especially at that price! I think I never had a bad or common Pichon Baron.

Jim in Paris, "not a BWE trip"? Honeymoon?

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Best ever tasting note...and not taking Christ's name in vain

Any chance you can pop across La Manche Jim for a quick stop over in Old London Town before they cement up the Channel Tunnel?

02 Pichon Baron always been a True Believer
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Stay away from men wielding hammers Jim.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Tim

my wife can't forget the great time we had in Paris......we may be back in December with the kids this time....hope to see you and catch up if you are going to be around during the holidays.
tim

Post by tim »

If I am here, Emil, sure thing! However, at this point there is a greater than 50% chance I will be moving back to the US in the coming months...
brodway

Post by brodway »

We will welcome you back home with open arms :)