TN: 05 Greysac [Medoc]

AKR

TN: 05 Greysac [Medoc]

Post by AKR »

05 Greysac [Medoc] This is one of those times when the critics reviews are totally spot on. 13% abv, nice and dark still, no lightening. Great nose with a hint of licorice and red berry fruit. Good long finish, tannin is still lightly present, and a full bodied example of this estate. After Seagram's got out of the Bordeaux business I don't see this that much around, especially on the West Coast. It was always a very popular wine in the North East, and I particularly remember enjoying the 1996. Sherry Lehman used to be an advocate of this producer vintage in and out. I had this with a Harris Ranch steak, which lined up perfectly well. This is somewhat North of St. Estephe and Sociando Mallet, so I'm expecting that 2016 will be very good for this estate. I hope it gets brought to California as that might be a rare situation for me to buy multiple bottles. Anyways, this 2005 has lots of life left, no need to drink up, but its already very tasty, and age 12 is normally fairly advanced for the cru bourgoise. My favorite vintage in Bordeaux has always been 1990, but 2005 is also way up there, and as a practical matter, still sometimes available for ok prices. 2015 also seems like it could be like 1990 too, at least if the critics early call are right. This is an easy B+ , and because its popularly styled, more useful than its score might suggest.

Racer Chris

Re: TN: 05 Greysac [Medoc]

Post by Racer Chris »

I bought 3 bottles of 2010 and drank them in late 2015/early 2016, but they didn't yield much pleasure, so I didn't buy more.
On the other hand, I've found the 2011 to be closer to other 2010 Cru Bourgeois in general character, in that it is tannic, but very approachable with a lengthy decant. So I've picked up nearly 2 cases over a year or so at less than $15 per bottle.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

This estate was bought by Jean Guyon of Château Rollan de By, making him the largest landholder in the Médoc.

Like the latter wine, Greysac represents tremendous value for money.

All the best,
Alex R.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Back in the day Greysac was an initial gateway drug for my Bordeaux habit. Pretty merlot-heavy for a left bank wine but still has that true left bank crunch and mineral quality to it. Surely has to be one of the best if not the best "supermarket" Bordeaux available (by which I mean widely available to neophytes through normal distribution channels and not something that has to be sought out at stores, etc.).
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think it has a supermarkety context in the metro NYC area, or at least when it was the Seagrams C&E portfolio, but Sherry Lehman also sold a lot of it, and they're no slouches when it comes to BDX. Out west, it's not as widely seen and the mass market supermarket bdx is Clarendelle.