The Hard reality- Futures vs Mortality

Gerry M.

The Hard reality- Futures vs Mortality

Post by Gerry M. »

It's that time of year again when many of us are pondering whether or not, or to what degree, we jump into the latest futures fray. From many conversations I've read some of us, myself included, wrestle with ourselves over if it's worth it given our advancing years. It's disconcerting to face your own mortality when engaged with something that brings you so much joy. As I have mentioned in a previous post a somewhat comical rational for me is 2017 looks like a washout so I can regard this as my last hurrah. I also have three grown children who could benefit from my cellar when I pass on. None have yet gotten the bug, as I have, yet but they've all gained an appreciation for fine wine and know what's good vs plonk. They're also either early in their careers or in grad school so they'll have ample opportunity to look back when they have more disposable income to get serious. As a last resort I've told my wife that if I should pass unexpectedly then to reach out to a couple of friends of mine to help dispose of the cellar. I've also detailed exactly what I have for future deliveries just so nothing slips though the cracks.

Damn futures, I should have stuck to collecting coins and stamps, lol.
AlexR

Re: The Hard reality- Futures vs Mortality

Post by AlexR »

Gerry,

I'm in much the same situation as you (time of life, decent cellar, children not interested…).

My cellar would be difficult to sell because, wishing to discover new wines as often as possible, I eschew case lots.

Ideally you say to yourself that you'd like to drink the last bottle the day before you die, but the likelihood of that is very slim...

I think it’s like so many things: you simply do the best you can in the face of uncertainty.
It makes you realize that you shouldn’t put off drinking those “special bottles” ad infinitum.
I no longer need a special occasion to open up an expensive (at today’s prices) aged wine, and that is a nice feeling. You just need to shake off the idea that such wines are only for just the right moment, because that moment may never come…

As for en primeur purchases, I’m totally with you there. It makes no sense if you’re an old codger like me, with children who are largely indifferent to fine wine.

Ecclesiastes 3:13 - And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Best,
Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This is why younger BWEers exist ! (like blanquito and me). You can dump any cellar content our ways!

Seriously, i live every day fully, doing most of what i want to do, considering I can die at any moment. Wine wise, it is the opposite, i consider I will live forever and enjoy all my bottles one day.

I'm happy like that.

Nic

AKA The Simplest Man
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I am happy to buy younger Bordeaux in small quantities but certainly my sweet spot is currently back vintages where I can find them at reasonable cost and quality. I generally want 12-15 years minimum of age before opening just about anything of classified quality, so in about 10 years it won't make much sense to even buy small quantities of new releases. I might change if the kids grow up and take a more enlightened view of my "hobby", but that's my plan for now!

-Michael