2000 Tasting

dstgolf

2000 Tasting

Post by dstgolf »

8 guys recently got together for good wine,company and food. Great laughs and fabulous wines.

2000 Bordeaux has had some raps brought against it but every bottle we had on this night was nothing shy of superb so I'm not sure of where the complaints are coming from.

2000 Pontet Canet was my star of the night and having this wine many times before this certainly didn't disappoint firing on all cylinders with well integrated but present tannins. Dark purple with little to no signs of aging this wine has a beautiful dark brambly nose with matching smooth palate with long finish. Lead pencil,cassis,spice and great length made this a superb wine with lots of life yet with no signs of tertiary notes as of yet. Not sure where this will develop but delicious right now. 97pts

2000 Leoville Barton was a very close second and starting to show some age with slight bricking on rim but still purply dark. Dark berry fruit and leathery lead pencil ever present with resolving smooth tannins. No harsh edges and smooth long length. Nothing disappointing here. 95pts

2000 Calon Segur beautifully perfumed on the nose and lighter more femine wine than previous two with more prominent bricking with background ruby red in glass. Another beauty with lighter berry fruits,spiced cedar and nice length complimenting the more masculine of the three wines so far. 93 pts

2000 Leoville Las Cases left us divided amongst the lovers of this estate and those that were indifferent. A very well crafted wine with muted nose and typical black cherry/cassis with some cedar notes but more unidimensional to me than the others. Didn't show the same progression in the glass over the evening that the others did but I'm certainly biased and usually underwhelmed by LLC especially in view of its pricetag. 90pts

1998 Leoville Las Cases for me was actually showing better than the 2000 with much more open nose with similar black fruits/current/cedar and lead pencil. Smoother more balanced and great length with everyone surprised at how it showed so much better than the 2000 on this night. 92pts

2000 Caymus Special Selection thrown in as a ringer and no fooling anyone that this was Cali Cab and a long ways behind its Bordeaux brethren. Amazing how this wine on its own typically shows well on its own but so unidimensional compared with everything else tasted on this night especially when cost is worked in. 88pts.

1998 Dominus thrown in for comparison as a typical Bordeaux styled Cali blend also disappointed. Lighter style and a very weak showing. Again on its own this has shown well but side by side this is blown away and a step shy of the Caymus. 86pts

Great night with wonderful company highlighting some wonderful Bordeaux wines that were showing very well with none really disappointing. Select Cali wines were overshadowed by comparison once again confirming our passion for great growth Bordeaux. My/our only fear is that with escalating pricing is that the millennials will not be able to enjoy the future of Bordeaux with their improving winemaking skills because of escalating costs in the years to come. It will be interesting to see the sustainability of classified Bordeaux as these wines should not be deemed such a luxury item that they can be only afforded by the very top tier of society but I'm afraid that this is where it will end up. First growth are one thing but when second through fifth growths are pushing multiple hundreds of dollars a bottle I think this house of cards will come tumbling down with the next pullback in the economy and we're overdue for that unless Donald can pull a rabbit out of his ...! :D
Danny
AKR

Re: 2000 Tasting

Post by AKR »

Very impressive lineup.

And yes I don't think the next generation of enthusiasts will be able to enjoy the regional highlights.

But on the bright side, better wine is being made in every corner of the world all the time.

Global warming is really making some of these marginal terroir interesting.
brodway

Post by brodway »

i'm glad i have all of these 2000's in the cellar.....Thanks for the report....i think i'm going to sneak up one bottle this weekend and give it a go
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

brodway,

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of these 2000s or others and you'll enjoy all of them for a decade or more. They are drinking so well now apart from the LLC maybe being a little closed by comparison and hoping that it just needs a little more time.
Danny
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Fascinating notes Danny, thanks for sharing.

I need to host a wine dinner in a week's time, and you have given me a few ideas, so thanks!
I have both the LB and Pontet Canet in 2000 and you make me want to open one of them...

I am suprised by the 2000 Léovile Las Case showing, but not by Caymus Special Selection.

All the best,
Alex
(who had 2009 Ogier Côte Rôtie for din-din).
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I have friend who claims LLC is the most overrated classified bordeaux...could he be right?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good stuff, Danny, 2000 is standing up to the test of time, as far as I can tell.
JimS

Post by JimS »

Very nicely done - thanks for sharing these notes.

I actually had a 2000 LB a few months ago and had much the same impression as you. Other than the 2003 vintage for them (where the house style + vintage characteristics combined for a truly awesome wine), this is one of my favorites. I place it near the top of all wines I've tasted from the 2000 vintage. Thanks again for sharing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2000 Leoville Barton is a stellar wine.
Sadly I only have one bottle left in my cellar.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I always knew 2000 would be great. I had Pontet Canet, Branaire, Clos Fourtet, Clerc Milon, Duhart Milon, Cos d'Estournel (thanks dstgolf), Canon La Gaffeliere, Lynch Bages (thanks Jimhow), Léoville Poyferré, Gruaud Larose, Lagrange, and all were excellent.

In that group, I really liked the Lynch Bages, Clos Fourtet, Pontet Canet nd Gruaud Larose.

I have only some Pape Clement left. Ah well, they were all so goo.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great tasting, Danny. For me the main surprise is that Calon Segur showed feminine characteristics in that line up.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Bizarrely, only the 2000 Calon Segur was dull to me, in that blind tasting of a BWE convention dinner.

Nic
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nicklasss wrote:Bizarrely, only the 2000 Calon Segur was dull to me, in that blind tasting of a BWE convention dinner.

Nic
how about a tasting where there are 3 (arbitrary #) bottles of the same producer same vintage....I bet you will find all 3 are different a lot of times.
it's just the luck of the draw sometimes I guess.

very hard to judge a bottle by one tasting...ex.1995 pontet...drank 3 in 6 months....one shy, one very good, one jaw dropping incredible
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Danny,

Thanks for the great notes, very interesting to hear the development so far of the vintage. I may have missed it but did you decant beforehand? I have all the 2000's you tried but am disappointed in your experience with the LLC. I had the 89' not too long ago and it was singing.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Great notes, Danny.

One of the few advantages of being old is having nice bottles tucked away when they were still semi-affordable.

Other 2000s I have enjoyed: Mouton (super wow), Margaux (super wow), Cos (wow), LMHB, Ducru, Pape-Clément, Lynch Bages, Léo-P and Pichon-L.

I'm also finding LLC to be surprisingly simple, although still delicious, even after 30+ years.

Stu
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amen on the 2000s Stu.
This is an excellent/outstanding vintage.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

A very fine vintage - and one that is drinking well now in many (most?) instances.

Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have an unopened case of 2000 Pichon Baron. Mmmmm.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Just picked up 10 cases of 2014s including the Baron,Pontet Canet, Malescot, du Tertre, LAGRANGE and others...can't remember. Thats probably because I forgot about the order and didnt expect to pick it up Sunday. Nice Canada Day surprise package!

Oh the 2000 Baron was stellar last year Jim and the case needs to be cracked open.
Danny