TN: Brane Cantenac et al

AKR

TN: Brane Cantenac et al

Post by AKR »

Some of our local group convened at Ten22 last night to sample California Cabs vs. Bordeaux. All the wines were popped and poured, without decanting. Generally served on the cool side. Other than the 78, these had been held since release. Food, stemware, and service are all good at this reliable offshoot of The Firehouse.

We started with

NV Schramsberg Rose - A California sparkler, from one of the best producers. Its priced similar to Champagne, but generally better for the price point. Really very good, and the whole bottle was guzzled up. B+ or maybe an A-. Did get better as the night went on, and a nice starter for a warm night.

and then moved to the dry reds

85 Clerc Milon [Pauillac] Smooth texture, no tannins. 11.5% abv. Medium weight wine. A lighter, finesse Pauillac. I don't think I've had this vintage before. Like the d'Armailhac's of this era, they don't really shine to me. I'd give it a B. If still holding, I suggest consumption.

99 Brane Cantenac [Margaux] A point! A sweet, yummy Margaux. Very polite, drinkable. The 2000 is slightly bigger, denser with a more interesting nose, but the difference isn't night and day in quality. I think this is at a very good stage now. A B+ for me.

00 Brane Cantenac [Margaux] Dense, deep flavors. A nose that continues to develop in the glass. Still quite young and dark. There is no hurry on consuming this, for those who have it in their cellars. I'd give this an A-. Lots of flavor but not heavy, nor clunky. Great bouquet.

85 Cardinale [Napa] This is a wine one doesn't see much. It's KJ's version of Opus One - their best barrels from all over in a small production run. Maybe 1000 cases. I've only had a couple vintages, but its good. This shows mint, eucalyptus and menthol. 13% abv. It's lovely. A- Surprisingly humble bottle and label in this era, now they are all jazzed up to fit their $100+ prices.

78 Freemark Abbey CS [Napa] The ullage on the bottle was disheartening, and the cork came out wet, but we got lucky as the wine inside was in perfect shape. 13.1% abv. This was back when F-A was made with estate grapes, perhaps even with what is now the single vineyard Bosche grapes. Modern Freemarks aren't what the old ones used to be. Iodine, minerals, concentrated flavors. Extraordinary depth, balance, and color. Its hard to explain how good this 40 year old bottle was. Solid A and my WOTN. 1978 was a strong vintage in Napa, mostly forgotten about by now.

Nice time with everyone, and we finished all the wine, chatting late into the night.
William P

Re: TN: Brane Cantenac et al

Post by William P »

Fun night last night.

My surprise of the night was Arv's Freemark Abbey a splendid California cab. I'd have to say it was my wine of the night.

Clerc Milon, opened nicely but by the end of the night it lost its way. Low acidity was its weak point.

Cardinale, very Bordeaux-like. Much more acidity than the Clerc. Nice bottle.

1999 Brane. Coming into its own. Proper Margaux. Medium bodied. Good wine from an over-looked vintage.

2000. Brane. Wonderful wine, a little young yet. Balanced. Good power and length. At the ended of the dinner it was starting to open. Hold for another five years.
Last edited by William P on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

always thought Freemark Cab was vastly underrated
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice note guys.

00 Brane Cantenac I liked many years ago. Count me in as a fan of Freemark. Last fall, the lonely bottle I brought back from SF was a 2004 Bosché.

Where all these great California Cab have gone?

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

They've gone up in price, that's where! What's Bosche now $90 or something? ouch
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

An eye opener for me was the 92' Freemark Abbey Bosche, just a incredible Napa cab. I paid $40/btle and now it goes for $125 for the 2013. I'm still tempted to buy a bottle just for old times sake. Is Ted Edwards still the winemaker?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Vineyard land in the area is so insanely expensive. I saw the Ritz Carlton is cranking up some development there of condos, which will start at 3.5mm per. I guess that's for wealthy Bay Area folks who want a weekend place, but I don't completely get the idea of leaving some place temperate, to go somewhere hot and inland.

Normally city slickers want to be by the ocean.

I don't get Palm Springs either. My sister went there when it had to be 110+F or something. Her friends were excited that they were getting a deal on some $800/night place for $1xx something. But who wants to be in the desert in the middle of a hot summer.