La Grande Maison Bernard Magrez, Bordeaux

ThatPurpleStuff

La Grande Maison Bernard Magrez, Bordeaux

Post by ThatPurpleStuff »

Hi all, new here.

Will be going to Bordeaux later this year. Has anyone been to La Grande Maison Bernard Magrez and had the caviar dish that looks like this: https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto ... vuaw/o.jpg

I can't seem to find a name for the dish, and wanted to know if it's something that you can order year round/if it's only seasonal, if it only comes with a set tasting menu, if you can order it a la carte, if it's available at lunch etc.
AKR

Re: La Grande Maison Bernard Magrez, Bordeaux

Post by AKR »

That looks disturbing. Like something out of the Men in Black alien movies.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

The restaurant is a 10 minute walk from my house. They have 2 Michelin stars and are gunning for a third. Australian friends ate there last week, and another friend I saw on Saturday said he went there recently.
I've not been.

The feedback is that La Grande Maison is your high-falutin luxury French restaurant with all the bells and whistles. And a bill to match.
There are many tiny portions and courses within courses.

As for your specific questions, they all speak English, so I would simply send them an e-mail!

Best regards,
Alex R.
ThatPurpleStuff

Post by ThatPurpleStuff »

Thanks, will do.
Ryan DB

Post by Ryan DB »

Just went to La Grande Maison a couple of months ago. The previous chef was Joel Robuchon, and that was one of the dishes in his tasting menu.

Robuchon left a little while ago, and his replacement was Pierre Gagnaire (another Michelin chef). My wife and I ordered the tasting menu, which we both enjoyed. Even though they were all small portions, we were very full by the end of the meal (and couldn't even finish the dessert). The food was great. Was it worth it? I think that's an individual thing, but I've spent more in restaurants in the U.S., so it wasn't outrageous.

The wine list was pretty good, and just like at many other restaurants in Bordeaux, the best values for high-end wines was in Burgundy and Rhone. There were plenty of great low and mid-range Bordeaux on the list as well.