TN: A Few 2014 White Bordeaux

sdr

TN: A Few 2014 White Bordeaux

Post by sdr »

I know white Bordeaux doesn't excite many of you, but I find it delightful, especially in the summertime. Whether at the very modest end or the more serious big names, it has a place. It seems 2014 is very successful and they are now available in the marketplace.

• 2014 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (7/1/2017)
    Very nice young white Bordeaux, the '14 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc has good energy, natural sweetness and an intriguing top note of basil. Delicate but not fragile, it's light in body yet pleasingly flavorful. Quite refreshing and an especially good match for mildly spicy tuna poke at Market 17. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Château Guiraud Le G - France, Bordeaux (5/19/2017)
    This is absolutely delicious for drinking right now. Perfect summer wine. Smells like honeydew melon, tastes like pear juice. Soft yet not weak. Not at all too tart, at least this bottle. The Semillon gives it a nice rounded mouth feel. Very short finish but delightful, especially at the gentle tariff. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Château Larrivet-Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (2/25/2017)
    Still seems to me an intriguing and lovely gentle white Bordeaux. Quite subtle but if you pay attention there's white flower, honeydew and white peach which render it elegant. One of the more interesting white Bordeaux of this fine vintage I have sampled so far. I like it better than the '13 Les Hauts de Larrivet Haut Brion. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 La Clarté de Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (2/21/2017)
    Brighter, fresher and less grassy than a previous bottle, this one was stylish and interesting. I hoped for more intensity, though. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Château Cos d'Estournel Blanc - France, Bordeaux (1/14/2017)
    Light and delicate with an attractive top note of mint. Good acids. Refreshing but could use more punch, even in white Bordeaux terms. Pleasant, though. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Château Pape Clément Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (1/14/2017)
    So reduced and tight on opening I could not discern its character regardless of how much I swirled it. A couple of days later a bit of fruit and honey peeked out, then died a few hours later. It does not sound at all like others describe so I must re-taste.
  • 2014 Château Cos d'Estournel Blanc - France, Bordeaux (11/24/2016)
    The most impressive feature of this wine is its marvelous texture, akin to whole milk, much denser than the usual Sauvignon Blanc. Faint but attractive scent of lime, tarragon and mint, light to medium weight and pleasantly citric on the palate. Overall a delicate wine with lovely finesse and balance. The Sémillon (34%) provides welcome counterpoint to the herby Sauvignon Blanc. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 La Clarté de Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (11/19/2016)
    While I didn't expect Haut Brion, I was surprised that the style was so different. This one is forceful and flavorful in a green apple and grassy way, some even immediately detecting the telltale cat's pee note. Medium body, assertive and really quite good - if you like this style of Sauvignon Blanc. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Château Larrivet-Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (11/5/2016)
    Surprisingly and impressively good. Light yellow, limpid, delicate with fine acidity and light touch of oak. Faint but very pleasant aroma of citrus, pear and melon and good follow through on the palate. Light to medium weight. Yet somehow the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Very refreshing and subtle which invites sip after sip. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
AKR

Re: TN: A Few 2014 White Bordeaux

Post by AKR »

Wow you must really like the stuff - that's a lot of examples.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Count me as a big fan of white Bordeaux too. My only complaint is I just don't drink it often enough.

Thanks for the notes, I'll will seek these 2014s as my stash is running low.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report sdr. Unfortunately, not my cup of tea. The only dry white Bordeaux that really impressed me, was that Smith Haut Laffitte we had at the Chateau with oysters.

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I was enjoying an inexpensive white Bordeaux yesterday before dinner.
2015 Chateau Cote Montpezat Cuvee Compostelle Blanc.
A bit earthy on the nose. Nice complexity of fruit flavors on the palate. Soft but slightly tart finish.
I've had a couple bottles of the 2014 and this is slightly better IMO.