TN: Rauz(s)an Segla et al

AKR

TN: Rauz(s)an Segla et al

Post by AKR »

Some of the inland Western cadres got together last night for an impromptu dinner. It's pretty hot out here currently, so perhaps BDX isn't the best call, but it's difficult to dissuade enthusiasts from consumption at any point of the year. I didn't take any notes, so these are more impressions. It was a good, sociable time -- thanks for organizing.

We started with these two before dinner

95 La Grave a Pomerol [Pomerol] This has had some name changes over the years, so was called Trigant a Boisset in very old vintages. This was an Italian reimport (!) and the only bottle of the evening not held since release. It's fully mature and has some mulberry notes on the nose. Nice texture and easy drinking even without food. There's some better notes on a prior bottle here http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 92&p=58401 I'd give this example a B. Not decanted or anything, just popped and poured, with a light chilling.

95 Gruaud Larose [St Julien] This was the only wine fully decanted, and lightly chilled. It's been a long time since I've had any G-L, or this vintage, as I don't buy the estate anymore either. I thought there was a slight touch of greenness here, but actually quite liked the bottle, more than the right banker paired with it. It has good depth, and should continue to keep well for some more time, if desired. I'd give it a B+, maybe more. In general I've been underwhelmed by the 95 Medocs, considering the time/expense in laying them down, but this one was good. Maybe some of the other B+ vintages of Gruaud will shine more by age 20+.

And then with dinner we had a pair of Margaux...

89 Rausan Segla [Margaux] This bottle is back from the era when the 'S' faction of the estate's spelling reigned supreme. It was delicious - well resolved, mature, complex, interesting. The estate is now owned by a luxury brand -- Chanel -- and modern vintages are well regarded and costly. But they made some great wines in the 80s too. This is an A- for me and my evening's favorite.

12 Rauzan Segla [Margaux] By now, the 'Z' faction was victorious, and changed the label. It was interesting to compare the two bottles separated by roughly a quarter century of age and cellar techniques. I liked the 89 better, but it was mature and complex. For my tastes the 2012 still has structured tannin, primary flavors, and oakiness. The other three didn't show any of the oak dimension to me. It might be a deeper, more concentrated wine than its older sibling, but its hard to parse that out today. Personally, I'd give this a lot of cellar time. B++

Great time all around, and I'm glad we avoided over-imbibing, as my home alarm cooked off (inexplicably) at 5am this morning.
JimHow

Re: TN: Rauz(s)an Segla et al

Post by JimHow »

Well done, ALR, very well done indeed.

I've never quite understood the "it's too hot to drink Bordeaux" argument, can someone explain it to me?
William P

Post by William P »

Too hot for Bordeaux probably means we had to eat inside with the air conditioner blasting as it was 102F outside. I agree, it's only too hot if you are drinking the wines outside.

For me the wine of the night was the 95 La Grave a Pomerol. Resolved, balanced and excellent structure. Using Arv's scoring A-.
Next in order was the 89 Rausan Segla. Not a big as the 2012 but a substantial wine. Reaching maturity but definitely not over the hill B+
The Gruaud was still evolving with maybe a few more years to its zenith. Others liked this more than yours truly. B
The 2012 Rauzan was young but shows and of energy and backbone. Yes there is oak but I didn't find it overwhelming. It should integrate nicely with a few years of age. I think it will be a splendid wine in 10 years. I've had it a few times now and it seems to be closing down a little. B today, higher in the future.

This morning Glenn and I had the St. Innocent 2005 Seven Springs. Splendid wine. Tastes younger than it age, highly enjoyable. I'd wait another 5 years before opening another. It appears I'm drinking my SIs far too young.

Bill
AKR

Post by AKR »

Did anyone pick up the Cordier funk in the Gruaud? I don't seem to remember any.
William P

Post by William P »

No, I did not Arv.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I am finally back to my computer. Joanne and I had a wonderful time with Bill and Linda, and Arv and Jen. Great food and company as always.

We kicked things off with 2014 Walter Scott X-Novo Chardonnay from Willamette Valley. Subtle use of oak, nuts,vibrant acidity along with earth paving the way. Long finish and Meursault like. Better in a couple of years but very good now.

The La Grave a Pomerol was a Pomerol at its zenith. Just a wonderfully textured Merlot with that Pomerol clay/earth. Really good.

1989 Rausan Segla was a Margaux of class. Nicely aged and fragrant. Really good. The 2012 was young and should evolve nicely.

1995 Gruaud Larose was tasted shortly after decanting and was closed up. I did not get another taste nor detect funk.

On Sunday we had the St. Innocent Seven Springs Special Selection after to die for Dim Sum. Drinking well now with more in the tank. Lively acidity with a Gevrey Chambertin like iron note and developed tertiary notes. Top level Oregon PN.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

What vintage of the 7 Springs SS, Glenn?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Thanks for the note on the 2012 Rauzan Segla. I picked up a bottle at Total Wine a few weeks ago for $60, and I may add one more to my cellar for a long sleep.
Claret

Post by Claret »

It was 2005 stefan.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

The 2005 is great, in my experience.