00 Pape, 05 Latour-Martillac and some Rhône

Nicklasss

00 Pape, 05 Latour-Martillac and some Rhône

Post by Nicklasss »

My brother came for dinner on Friday, and another couple of friends, so altogether 6 adults. It was party time and we opened not less than 8 bottles of wines. As I'm leaving with my little family to Puerto Plata tomorrow (no wine for a week!), to have an idea of the 2003 vintage heat, here are quick impression about the wines.

2016 Muscadet famille Lieubeau: with raw oysters, was perfect. Nose of white melon, lemon, minerals, white peaches. Mouth with light fruits, strong mineral, fresh. Tn: 85-86.

2014 Ropiteau Bourgogne : light yellow. Nice oak itegrated in the nose, light vanilla, pears, citrus. Very fresh, with nice grilled oak in mouth, vanilla, honey, pears and lemongrass. Kind of waxy too. Excellent for the price, like a Meursault second wine. Tn: 90.

2015 Yannick Alléno and Chapoutier Côtes-du-Rhône: medium red, with a fresh nose mainly fruity (rasberries, cherries). Light herbal aromas too. Mouth is fresh, elegant, with cranberries and rasberries. Light structure but medium intensity in mouth. Very good. Tn: 88.

2011 Cornas Barcillants Les Vins de Viennes: dark color. Nose was woody, with concentrated red berries, ashes, blackpepper. Mouth of medium concentration, mainly on oak and darkred berries. Seemed less integrated than the two previous bottles I opened in the past. Still very good. Tn: 89.

2000 Chateau Pape Clément: i wanted to open that since the last few weeks. Dark color. With a nose that defy logic. One of the great nose I smelled from a Graves. Smoky, fruity (rasberries, blackcurrants, dark berries), ashes, noble wood, fresh sweet tobacco, intense nose. Some spices too. A beauty on the nose, you don't want to drink. Mouth was excellent but not as impressive as the nose. A bit less complex and with a strong green pepper taste. Also concentrated dark berries, spicy meat, red berries, light chocolate. Big mouth, with good structure, the green pepper flavor is there from start to finish? I have other bottles so will see next time is the intense green pepper is limited to that bottle only, but I guess it was just polluting that lone bottle, as I never could get that aromas on the nose... Anyhow, a excellent to great wine. Tn : 92-93 (let say 96 for the nose and 90 for the mouth).

2005 Chateau Latour-Martillac: that night, show the greatness of 2005. Dark color, with a great nose of red berries, rasberries, charcoal, smoke, chocolate, spices, light vanilla and blackcurrants. Not as intense as the Pape, but great intensity anyhow. Mouth was slightly less thick than the Pape, but more structured. Intense old rasberries and cherries flavors, with spices, light violet flowers, chocolate, minerals. Very complete flavors in mouth. Very long mineral, with oak light grain tannins, berries and ligth charcoal. Has improved a lot in the last few years and there is place for more improvements! Tn: 93+.

2010 Guigal Hermitage: a simple way to describe the wine : Purple rain! Dark with, with a nose of almost everythings that is purple : grapes, blackcurrants, flowers, olives, light soap. Mixed with a burned wood flavor. Still young and distinctively Hermitage. In mouth, grape and blackcurrants flavors, with the flowery character. Spices, meat, dense wine, dense tannin, probably the most tannic that night, with a long final on creosote, blackcurrant syrup, and smoke. Already excellent, and very promising. Tn: 92+.

Alla in all an excellent night. The meal to match the wines was perfect: canadian platinum AAA beef filet mignon, grilled on the charcoal and with a french shallot butter puck.

A very nice day.

Nic
AKR

Re: 00 Pape, 05 Latour-Martillac and some Rhône

Post by AKR »

Those are some heavy hitters! Impressive show for Latour Martillac to beat out Pape Clement.
jckba

Re: 00 Pape, 05 Latour-Martillac and some Rhône

Post by jckba »

Nic I like how you broke out the difference btw your appreciation for the nose on the '05 Pape Clement vs the palate as this these are differences that I encounter frequently as well. And if only we both had cellars full of mature Bdx ;)