TN 2001 Poggio Antico Brunello

jal

TN 2001 Poggio Antico Brunello

Post by jal »

TN 2001 Poggio Antico: drank this with lamb chops and roasted potatoes. Stewy nose, purple red with some bricking, the wine at first protested at being opened. Puckering, acidic with a nose of stewed prunes. It calms down considerably after about thirty minutes and is lovely with good fruit, a nice perfume, albeit a few stewed notes remain, good structure and decent finish. Not bad at all but seriously behind any 2001 Bordeaux I may have opened instead.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN 2001 Poggio Antico Brunello

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Just before I left the Tristate area I went to a 2001 Brunello offline, and the wines came across as being disjointed, unbalanced and a bit souped up. Could have come from anywhere. Probably going through an awkward stage but I have steered clear since. Maybe time to revisit.
AKR

Re: TN 2001 Poggio Antico Brunello

Post by AKR »

Oddly enough, I am reading Rosemary George's book on Tuscan wines, and just finished the chapter on Brunello.

It's an old book, and its striking how much expansion/development/marketing has been in the DOCG since it was written.

I had a 2007 Domus Vitae BdM some months ago. I think that is a rounder vintage than the classic 2006 style.

Still that example was quite underwhelming.