Oh Canada...

Nicklasss

Oh Canada...

Post by Nicklasss »

Well, Canada is surely one of the greatest country in the World, but when we get to quality wine production, I have since a long time some reserves. The quality of canadian wines is improving since the country started it wine production, and an interesting spot is the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia.

Tonight I opened a 22 $cad 2014 Black Sage Vineyard Cabernet Franc, made by Sumac Ridge, and let me say this wine represents something really top notch for what it is. I guess this is beating hand down almost any Californian red wine of the same price, and would even stand it own a good way again some 22$ Bordeaux.

Medium to dark red color, nose is very nice, with a nice mixture of the Cab Franc vegetals, fruits and oak. Green pepper, smoky red cherries, blackberries, light spices, light vanilla, green wood. Even some violet flowers. In mouth, still very young, but nice blackberry fruit, sweet vanilla oak, cherries flavors. Structure is soft, not very tannic, lot spirity cherry finish, a bit warm on the final for the 13.5 % alcohol. A nice wine and I guess as the vines will get older in our country, the wines will only improve. Tn: 88-89.

Nic
dstgolf

Re: Oh Canada...

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

There's some pretty good stuff coming from the Okanogan and probably best region is Black Sage Bench. I was a big fan of Black Hills Winery for years but like anything the prices got a little out of hand once they became discovered with their Bordeaux Blend Note Bene being a bargain at $19 15 years ago and now pushing $70+ with extremely limited quantities selling out within the first day or two of its release. Not fun when a favourite becomes a Canadian cult wine aka Screaming Eagle but at a fraction of the cost. Many other examples of good wines from the region but QPR in question. I'll have to try and find the Sumac Ridge to try.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Burrowing Owl is another excellent wine producer in that area.

I don't know what top quality will reach canadian wines in the next 20 years.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Global warming will make each vintage's opportunity set even better as time goes on.

More degree days and all that good stuff.

Tough on the polar bears though!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Nic,

You were kind enough to give me a bottle of Burrowing Owl that you had brought all the way from Canada.

I served it blind to wine friends (including a Québécoise !) at a dinner in Bordeaux and it received a very warm reception.

A class act.

Alex R.