TN: 2005 Nicolas Potel Volnay Vieilles Vignes

jal

TN: 2005 Nicolas Potel Volnay Vieilles Vignes

Post by jal »

On a dark and stormy Sarasota evening, we opened this with a pan sautéed filet and mashed potatoes.
Subdued nose, purplish muddy color, some dusty tannins, sweet entry, not a lot of length and a weak finish, good enough for an evening at home but would get lost in comparison with a lot of 2005 village wines. Probably over the hill and should have been consumed a few years earlier. Drink 'em if you have 'em. 87
Best

Jacques
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 2005 Nicolas Potel Volnay Vieilles Vignes

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Sad! And I may have a bottle or two of this someplace.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I recall uncorking one of these about a year ago and being similarly disappointed.
It was disappointing because it was a wine that was quite delicious when young.
I've got another 3-4 in the cellar that I'll probably unload at family cookouts, etc.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hmmm. A 2005 Burg over the hill. Whodathunk?

I have just compiled a list of all my Burgundies and see that I have many more than I thought.

Time to pop a few corks..

All the best,
Alex
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jacques,

Sounds like dramatic foreshadowing when you started with "a dark and stormy evening in Sarasota".....how could the wine review have been positive.

If we get down to Bradenton this winter(doubtful at this point) I'd like to finally meet you over dinner and a bottle or two in Sarasota. I'll be in touch if we head down this year.
Danny
jckba

Post by jckba »

I too fell victim to these as I had scooped up a case of '05 Potel village wine splits on closeout from Wildman back in the day with wines ranging from the Volnay to the Nuits St George to the Morey Saint Denis to the Vosne Romanee and all in the $13-$17 range and while they were correct and drank well young, several more recent encounters ended up with some pretty unspectacular btls ... and so it goes.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nicolas Potel sold to the Cottins in 2004. I think he stayed on for five years, but I don't know whether he was in charge of making wines for them. Now he owns Domaine de Bellene and also has a negociant business named Bellene. I like Potel wines a lot, but my experience with them predates the time Potel sold his name.
jal

Post by jal »

dstgolf wrote:Jacques,

Sounds like dramatic foreshadowing when you started with "a dark and stormy evening in Sarasota".....how could the wine review have been positive.

If we get down to Bradenton this winter(doubtful at this point) I'd like to finally meet you over dinner and a bottle or two in Sarasota. I'll be in touch if we head down this year.
It would be great Danny,
Sarasota in February, anyone else coming? DavidG? Jim? Stefan? Nicklass? Come on over, the weather is great, the people all drive slow, The Sarasota Opera will play Carmen and stone crabs will be in season.
Last edited by jal on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

The last time I had this wine was in 2014 and I think it was at its peak then, it has gone downhill since. Thankfully, this was the last bottle I had. Every other 2005 Burg I had has been young.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Jal for the invitation. i'll think about it. Limited in holidays, I'll have to choose between Sarasota or BWE 2018...

But promess that if I go to Sarasota, no 2005 Potel Volnay VV! And I won't bring any 2012 Supernova!

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Maybe, Jacques. It depends on my work schedule whether I can take a weekend off in February.

Hope to see you soon.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jal wrote:
dstgolf wrote:Jacques,

It would be great Danny,
Sarasota in February, anyone else coming? DavidG? Jim? Stefan? Nicklass? Come on over, the weather is great, the people all drive slow, The Sarasota Opera will play Carmen and stone crabs will be in season.
Jacques, Peggy and I have rented a condo on Siesta Key for the entire month of February. We'll make something happen.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm scheduled to see Parsifal in NYC on Feb 10th, I'll probably drive down to Florida from there that week.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Getting back to Potel, we had a 2002 Potel Pommard Epenots last night that was young and full of fruit. Unfortunately, this bottle contained TCA, but untainted should be excellent.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

So, Jim. How are the less growth 2005 Bordeaux tasting????
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Haven't had many of the village 2005 Burgs yet Harry, but I just uncorked a 2005 Jadot Beaune Premier Cru.
"Cracked open" the cardboard case. First sips are VERY promising.
Those Potels have been bleh but another producer I had last year -- Grivois is it? something like that -- was in a really nice place.
jal

Post by jal »

Danny, Nicolas and Stefan, here's hoping...
David, yay!
Jim, driving? Why? Delta and JetBlue fly direct from la guardia, but sure, if you want to drive...
Anyone else? Snow belt people? North east folks? Anyone?
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote:Haven't had many of the village 2005 Burgs yet Harry, but I just uncorked a 2005 Jadot Beaune Premier Cru.
"Cracked open" the cardboard case. First sips are VERY promising.
Those Potels have been bleh but another producer I had last year -- Grivois is it? something like that -- was in a really nice place.
We had a terrific 2005 Jadot Lavaux st Jacques two weeks ago
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I probably won't go directly to Sarasota, Jacques, may pop in to see some friends in Philly, DE, MD, DC, NC, Ft. Lauderdale, etc., before/after I get over your way.
So, it may be a little ten day road trip.
William P

Post by William P »

I enjoyed my 2005 volnay early, and was very satisfied. I guess I was lucky. I must admit not loving his premier crus for 2005 as they aged.

Bill