Dinner at Jean-Fred

Nicklasss

Dinner at Jean-Fred

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, we were invited to Jean-Fred's place for dinner. Many events lately were good reasons to open nice bottles, including Jean-Fred birthday a week ago, or MC permanent job. Jean-Fred and his wife prepared a great meal, with oysters, snails with basil cream, deer filet with pleurotes and hazelnut sauce, and a super dessert based on mascarpone cheese. Yum.

Even if I brought some wines, Jean-Fred kept control, opening all bottles from his cellar.

Tribaut NV Champagne: inexpensive but well made. Good nose of yellow fruits, spritz, bread crust. Very good in mouth, pinneapple, yellow apple, dry, lots of small bubbles, short to medium length. Very good appetizer. Tn: 88.

2005 Meo-Camuzet Vosne - Romanée: i brought a bottle of this to SF this year, my bottle was deadly bad, all sulphur on nose/mouth. This bottle was great. Dark color, nose is complex with red/dark berries, meat, minerals, spices. Dense nose. In mouth, concentrated, masculine for a Bourgogne, but rich fruits and minerals. Good tannins, some soil notes, blood, more complex dark berries. Long and excellent. I wish my bottle in SF would have been like that. Tn: 92.

1990 Chateau Sociando Mallet: last time I had that wine was in 2009. Time to drink it as that bottle that Jean-Fred bought in Paris, was at a perfect place. Medium red with very light brown rim. Perfumed nose, flowery, old red berries, tobacco, green pepper (it is Sociando after all!), spices, strong nose. Mouth is balanced, complex, long, a bit etheral. At the right place, with that intellectual strange dark berries, smoked red pepper, mint, tobacco flavors. Still lot of flesh and pulp, spicy oak and a finish on strong tobacco. Drink now. Tn: 93-94.

Last, with dessert, Jean-Fred opened a split of the 2011 Chateau Doisy-Védrines, young, intense botrytis, apricot, peaches, syrupy, sweet, light bitterness from the noble rot. A bit of oak vanilla, in one block, light alcohol, promising, need to mellow a bit. Tn: 90++.

Very nice evening, discussing about everything and nothing, randomly, while enjoying good company. When is next time?

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Re: Dinner at Jean-Fred

Post by JimHow »

Nice. Good question, Nicola, when is next time?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice evening and have missed our summer/fall get together. Look forward to making something happen in the near future. Nice to hear JF still drinking well.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

That 1990 S-M is a stunner
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great notes, Nic. I really enjoyed hearing about the get together. I still have 3-4 of the 90 Sociando, I'll think about opening one soon.

Give my best to Jean-Fred, it was a lot of fun meeting him on the dock of the bay.