Is Il Poggione the best Brunello out there?

JimHow

Is Il Poggione the best Brunello out there?

Post by JimHow »

Had he 2012 again recently. Stunning nose, floral, violets, rose petals, absolutely seductive on the nose.
Then on to the palate, just beautiful. Still very youthful, of course, but nonetheless showing elegance, no sharp edges, very classy, light on its feet but a wine of obvious breed and depth. Sort of a Lafon Rochet of Brunello.

Not cheap by any means, but not crazily priced either. Is Il Poggione, for the money, the best Brunello out there?
Blanquito

Re: Is Il Poggione the best Brunello out there?

Post by Blanquito »

For me (*i don't drink all that much brunello), yes (*along with Lisini which is often $40-$45 too).
jckba

Re: Is Il Poggione the best Brunello out there?

Post by jckba »

I buy and drink Il Poggione and my only gripe against it at present is it's price, much in the same way that the price on the Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova has shot up aggressively and I have a strong feeling that the prices charged at the cellar door have probably not changed all that much but that the importers / distributors of said wines are just taking bigger chunks of profit based on the positive press. Hard to knock a producer for the greediness of their importer / distributor but when you want the best Brunello 'for the money', I would prefer to pick a producer whose wines have stayed within the same price band and still offer quality such as a Lisini or Argiano or Mocali, just my 2 cents.