Detailed Bordeaux Vineyard Maps

Chateau Vin

Detailed Bordeaux Vineyard Maps

Post by Chateau Vin »

I took it upon myself to color code growth properties' vineyard plot maps. While doing so, I realized that chateaux are increasing their acreage, clearly visible through satellite maps that I am working with. The plots, highlighted as a Chateau acreage are being developed for vineyard plantings. The satellite maps are maybe 2 or 3 years old. So seems like the coming vintages will see a rise in quantity of Bordeaux by growth properties... Time will tell how the increase in acreage will impact the Grand Vins of chateaux in coming years...

Also, I am trying to find detailed vineyard plot maps of Margaux and Pessac regions. Can someone direct where I can obtain them?

After Bordeaux, I am planning to do the same for Piedmont/Barolo.... :mrgreen:
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: Detailed Bordeaux Vineyard Maps

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Interesting about the organic (versus by acquisition) growth of vineyard size. I would think by now the classed growths anyway would have all long ago planted their best parcels. It could also be for second, third and other bottlings that could command some premium by name affiliation?

What spurred you to this?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

DavidG wrote:Have you seen this?
https://weinlagen-info.de/#gemeinde_id=4027

Thanks David for the lead. I appreciate that.

I am looking for even more detailed maps with vineyard plots labeled for Margaux. I have detailed maps for Northern Medoc, and actually my maps are even more detailed, nuanced and accurate than the ones shown in that website. Here is the sample...I couldn't upload a bigger image due to file size constraints, and also I am not yet fully done color coding the uploaded map...
Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:Interesting about the organic (versus by acquisition) growth of vineyard size. I would think by now the classed growths anyway would have all long ago planted their best parcels. It could also be for second, third and other bottlings that could command some premium by name affiliation?

What spurred you to this?

I also thought that their best parcels are already planted. But I think with increased acreage, they will not just increase the second or third labels, but they will increase their Grand Vin too...

I am just doing this to just have a detailed map, which I can use at a website, etc...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

CV that looks fantastic. Great start. Wish I could offer more help.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Agreed that looks great and it really is quite interesting to see the different parcels of land associated with each chateau, a great undertaking.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

CV, could you please tell me how the photos show that the châteaux are increasing their acreage.

I do not understand.

TIA,
Alex R.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AlexR wrote:Hi,

CV, could you please tell me how the photos show that the châteaux are increasing their acreage.

I do not understand.

TIA,
Alex R.

When I zoom in Google Satellite Maps, there are several plots, part of (according to the maps I have) various Growth Properties that are being flattened and developed...As you know, growth properties' listed acreage is higher than the planted acreage. It's safe to assume that the Google Maps are 2 to 3 years old (usually that's the case) and I presume that the new development for planting will increase the acreage of the chateaux...I also presume that they are not being being developed for planting something else although technically it could be...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I appreciate if anyone has the maps for the underlined chateaux....Some of you might have taken parcel map pics at the chateaux, others might have maps or books, etc.

1. I am done with Medoc region, with the exception of Ducru Beaucaillou in St Julien. I would also love to have maps for notables like Sociando, Meyney

2. Margaux commune is not done as there are no maps of the same and I only have a few growth properties covered. Need notables like Giscours, Kirwan, Gassies, Du Tertre

3. In the Pessac region, I need maps for few more notable properties, including DdC. I also wonder if Pape Clement is in single block, or the parcels across Avenue Paul Montagne is also part of the estate??? Maybe Jeff or other Gurus can answer...

4. Done with Sauternes

5. Pomerol is a challenge with no detailed maps and the chateaux being smaller. Need notables like Lafleur Petrus, Clinet, Certan de May, Eglise Clinet, Clos Eglise, Lafleur Gazin, LatourPomerol, VCC (I have single block VCC, but need far away one or two parcels of VCC)

6. St Emilion is also a challenge and would love to have Angelus, Canon La Gaffeliere

Cheers....
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I will delete the link later as more needs to be done, but for now I would like to provide a glimpse of what I have so far w.r.t. Bordeaux...

I have contacted many chateaux about the maps. Some ignored, but many provided the info. I am surprised about having such a positive response, and am very very thankful for their kindness. Still a lot of work to do, and any suggestions/corrections is appreciated.

Go ahead. Give it a go...My favorite region in terms of my map creation is Pomerol...

Edited...
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Holy cow, that is freakin' awesome!

Wow.

Just wow...
AKR

Post by AKR »

That is amazingly cool. I guess that's why people always beat up on Petit Village.....