2014 Cos, Montrose, LLC, Pontet Canet

danzur

2014 Cos, Montrose, LLC, Pontet Canet

Post by danzur »

OK-time to get back to Bordeaux-glad you guys are still going as strong as ever. I haven't participated in many years as "life" happened. Many years of kids sports, school, relocations, I could go on, and on. My Bordeaux collecting days had a gap due to some outrageously expensive vintages and priority changes. I do remember a fantastic weekend with the group up in Napa quite a few years back-hope to do that again one day. Really glad to see the Benevolent Dictator has held on to his throne :).

Anyway-I'm back and am glad to read your posts and learn from the group.

Based on some notes here, I picked up a handful of 2014 half bottles and gave them a try over 3 days. Poor notes below, but I'm trying :).

2014 Cos d’Estournel-St. Estephe- (375ml)-certainly not in the heavyweight category, but a nice, floral aromatic nose-somewhat restrained compared to the Pontet Canet. Dark fruits, herbal, good length, and a dose of fine tannins. Day 2 was much of the same, but started getting some licorice, coffee, and became a bit juicier. Certainly a long life ahead, glad I got to sample this today.

2014 Montrose-St Estephe-375ml-Much darker the Cos d’Estornel. Day 1 was big and brooding. Lean and tannic, but displayed an amazing richness. Day 2 and this started to emerge, still dark and tannic, but also a velvet and rich element-iron fist in a velvet glove to be sure. Long finish, dark fruits, hints of licorice, and minerality. While this was tough to get a handle on day 1, but evolved over the next 2 days. I will definitely grab a few bottles of this-no idea how many years this will need to smooth out, but it should be great when it does.

2014 Leoville Las Cases-St Julien-375ml-Beautiful ruby red, especially next to the darker Montrose. Restrained nose with red fruits, cassis, herbs poking through. Flavors of red and blue fruits, even got a hint of caramel at some point, but that slipped away over time. Picked up some coffee flavors, and minerality in the following days. Full and rich, long finish.

2014 Pontet Canet-Paulliac-375ml-amazingly, next to the other 3, the nose explodes from the glass from the moment it was poured. The other 3 seemed tight and restrained, not the Pontet Canet. Easily the most expressive of the bunch. Red fruits, spicy, certainly tannic, but a long beautiful finish. Very much Paulliac. I’ve read notes about pencil lead, but I really didn’t get that, but fantastic nonetheless.

In the end, I really enjoyed all 4 of these. While all were young and tannic, none were tough to drink. Certainly tannic on the finish, but none were difficult or harsh (although the Montrose was the toughest at the beginning). If I were to have to rank them, it would look like this:
• Pontet Canet
• Montrose
• LLC
• Cos
The Cos was no slouch, just good competition. I will definitely be buying the Pontet Canet and Montrose, wouldn’t be surprised if I got the LLC and Cos as well.

I need to find some St. Emilions to try in the near term too…
jckba

Re: 2014 Cos, Montrose, LLC, Pontet Canet

Post by jckba »

Great 1st post and if I were you, I would probably try and do a couple traditional (Canon or Corbin or Figeac) along with a couple modern (Canon Le Gaffeliere or Troplong Mondot or Pavie Macquin) Saint Emilion's and then see where your stylistic preferences lie.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Welcome back, Dan, and great to read your notes.
Seems to corroborate the positive experience of others with the 2014 vintage in the Medoc!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Drinking 2014 at this age?! Sacre Bleu!

danzur

Post by danzur »

Thanks guys....

AKR-yeah, I get it, but I've got to get an idea about these somehow, at least they were 375's....
sdr

Post by sdr »

Just tasted the 2014 Chapelle LMHB last night and I was suitably impressed ($54). No, it’s not competition to its big brother but has real Pessac-Léognan character, a bit of smoke, some grip, medium weight, modest tannins and just about ready now. Good stuff.