It's a jolly good time to be a BWEer, pip pip..

JimHow

It's a jolly good time to be a BWEer, pip pip..

Post by JimHow »

Agent How reporting from a strange but wonderful place, where the folks talk funny.
Stand by for more reports.
Nicklasss

Re: It's a jolly good time to be a BWEer, pip pip..

Post by Nicklasss »

Lucky you!

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

I am thinking a road trip to Canada?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

jckba wrote:I am thinking a road trip to Canada?
I say he went to London for a BWE dinner.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When are you arriving Nicola?
I'm at the Waldorf Hilton, text me when you get in town.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

See you in Maine.

"Halo"

You wear guilt
Like shackles on your feet
Like a halo in reverse
I can feel
The discomfort in your seat
And in your head it's worse

There's a pain
A famine in your heart
An aching to be free
Can't you see
All love's luxuries
Are here for you and me

And when our worlds
They fall apart
When the walls come tumbling in
Though we may deserve it
It will be worth it

Bring your chains
Your lips of tragedy
And fall into my arms

And when our worlds
They fall apart
When the walls come tumbling in
Though we may deserve it
It will be worth it

Nic

P.S. the song is about me, not making it to.... but hey, Maine before end of 2017?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Glad to see that you've freed up your schedule Jim.

We're currently on a bus from Southampton to London Victoria Station. Have had a mixed trip so far and looking forward to tonight. Unfortunately picked up a head cold yesterday so not sure how the day will go. Regardless we need a pick me up gatheringbefore heading back for my mom's funeral. She passed Wed after a protracted battle with cancer. Thankfully we were in touch til the day before her death but it certainly put a damper on our much needed break.

We're at the Doubletree hilton victoria station and will try and call once in hotel.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Very sorry to hear about your mom Danny. Looking forward to seeing you and Danielle tonight.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I wish I could post photos. Met up with Jim and Tim last night. We had a glass of champagne chez moi then we walked up the street to have wine samples at the Sampler on my street, including 1961 Batailley and 1970 St-Pierre. Them we went off to an Italian restaurant behind Marble Arch where we had some great wines, incluiding a Gaja Nebbiolo d'Alba from the 1960s, which Tim brought, a 1997 Solaia and a 1996 Roche Del Manzone Barolo Vigna Big, and a 2011 Rion Echezeaux.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Danny: I'm saddened to hear about your mother and wish you peace & strength in the months to come. It seems extra terrible to hear these things when one is not at safe & secure at home.

Comte: You've got a place to drink 61 Batailley by the pour? holy cow. How was that? As unsexy as the wine is, I quite like the older ones. We had a stern 1970 from magnum for my birthday some years ago, a wine much leaner than myself.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sad to hear about your mom Danny. Wish you strength and peace during that tough moment. My deepest sympathy to Larry and you.

But please, enjoy your actual time in London.

This is why I should have went to London: 1961 Chateau Batailley in a sampler? Good time with BWEers.

Looking forward to read the résumé of tonight dinner.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Best wishes to you and your family Danny.
jal

Post by jal »

Sorry to hear about your mother Danny.
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

Sorry to hear about your mother Danny.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Very sorry to hear about your mother Danny.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Losing a mother is sad and difficult, regardless of age or circumstances. I’m sure she felt your love to the end, Danny.

Enjoy your time in London as best you can.

Stu
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A great BWE night in London.
Will report in with more details.
Jim
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

AKR wrote:Danny: I'm saddened to hear about your mother and wish you peace & strength in the months to come. It seems extra terrible to hear these things when one is not at safe & secure at home.

Comte: You've got a place to drink 61 Batailley by the pour? holy cow. How was that? As unsexy as the wine is, I quite like the older ones. We had a stern 1970 from magnum for my birthday some years ago, a wine much leaner than myself.
It was very good Arv on the Friday when it was opened and a little flatter when Jim and Tim tried it. Tbe Sampler occasionally has such wines on its 'icon' machine including stuff like 1959 Chateau Margaux and 1978 DRC Richebourg.

Talking of which when Danny walked in he very generously presented us a bottle of 2004 DRC Richebourg to complement the other wines, mainly Bordeaux...it was a fabulous evening in which 14 different wines were broached...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll post pictures!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great stuff guys.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Attachments
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG (31.1 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Attachments
FullSizeRender-24.jpg
FullSizeRender-24.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Seems like a great time. Tell us more...

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Will post more soon, just trying to find the time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So...
We had quite a treat at Ian's house.
Immense gratitude to Ian and Maureen for your hospitality, it was a great meal.
Ian challenged us to rate the wines.
I honestly don't know if I can!
Let me give it a try:

1. 1959 La Conseillante.. so youthful that I questioned its authenticity but the cork told me it was real. And as Tim said, we've seen how these great Bordeauxs from top vintages can age seamlessly. Breathtaking.

2. 2004 DRC Richebourg: My first Richebourg ever, certainly from DRC. Breathtaking. Youthful but seamless. Stunning.

3. 1982 Lynch Bages: Wow. A pointe. Old school Lynch. Tobacco, leather, coffee. Great complexity.

4. 1978 Lynch Bages: Ditto. An obviously well stored bottle. More great Lynch old school complexity. Those old Lynches bear little resemblance to the JMC post-1982 era, but they are fascinating in their own separate way.

More notes to come.

5. Corton Charlemagne (vintage?)
6. 1990 Dom Perignon
7. 1989 Beychevelle
8. 2001 Margaux
9. 1998 d'Yquem
10. Grange (vintage ?)
12. 90 Conseillante
13. 1975 GPL
14. Floridene

An epic night.
Poignant visit with Danny and Danielle following the loss of his Mom, I'm happy you got to Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's yesterday Danny.
I made a historic, poignant, return to Cambridge the next day.
Sad in some ways to return to the crazy US tomorrow.
Off to Leicester Square, will post more notes and pictures.
We missed you Nicola! (Just kidding... sort of. I expected to see you walk through the door, right to the end!)
tim

Post by tim »

It was an incredible evening. Thanks to Ian, Maureen, Danny, Danielle and Jim for a great night. We started with the toast to Danny's mother (and again my condolences for your loss Danny), then tried to keep it light for the remainder of the evening, knowing that there will be time for Danny and family to grieve in the coming days.

For me, the WOTN was the DRC Richebourg. Danny packed this and took it on his cruise so that he could open it with us. I kept some in the glass and compared it to each wine opened. And it continued to outperform all. Perhaps I am more of a Burgundy enthusiast after all?

The second was the 1970 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne. I had the 1969 with Francois a couple months back, and this one was pretty close to the same experience. The wine just kept changing and getting better throughout the night. A glorious wine.

Rounding out the top three was the 2001 Margaux. I preferred this to the 2000 Mouton, although both were great wines.

Honorable mention to the 1959 La Conseillante. The wine was quite youthful but had all the great characteristics of an aged Pomerol.

Thanks again to Ian and Maureen for hosting and cooking as well. BWE London is becoming a regular thing!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Well said Tim. After our melancholy moment we were soon belly laughing with Danny as he ribbed Jim in particular, and it was a jovial evening.

It was such a treat to be presented with that bottle of DRC by Danny. On opening it immediately sprang to life. I didn't take detailed notes, neither did anyone else, I don't think, so these descriptions are pretty rudimentary and cursory.

We had a pretty strong line up. To wet the whistle we had 1990 DP, which had been stored in a mild cellar. A dark yet effusive translucent gold, showing off its evolution, it was nevertheless magnificent: 95 points. The wine which followed was my white wine of the year. Tim's 1970 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne. It too was astonishly good and even more nuanced and complex than the DP: 97 points. In the white flight we also had a 1997 Clos Floridene, which couldn't keep up, but nevertheless acquitted itself well. We polished of the second half of the bottle the following night and it was excellent mature white Graves. 90 points

Next came a mystery wine, which I opened two days earlier and it tasted hollowed out. It was a 1975 GPL and I included it to prove Jim right. I asked the group to be honest as to whether they thought it was 1. amazing, 2. excellent, 3. good, 4. average or 5. shit. I was expecting it to be shit, but Lazarus-like it pulled itself together, and Jim guessed Gruaud 1982 and Maureen Latour. I still thought it was a bit short on fruit and in the finish. 90 points

Then we got the burgundy glasses out for the 2004 DRC Richebourg, which has that to die for DRC Richebourg signature, despite the mixed reputation of the vintage. It had red fruit and spiciness and a fine finish. If you wanted to nitpick it lacked the extraordinary complexity you get in the most profound DRC wines, but the sheer thrill of drinking these wines is palpable and shapes perceptions. I would rate it 95.

Next up we had La Conseillante. Both wines were a little mute, especially the 1990. I have had much better bottles of this. The 1959 was very classy with a fine texture, but needed coaxing. Not the most expressive wine. Still a real treat and 93 points, whereas as the 1990 would get 90 points.

The Lynch Bages flight eclipsed the Conseillante flight. Both the 1978 and 1982 were perfect expressions of the best that each vintage can produce. The 1982 was clearly the superior wine and my wine of the night, with 98 points. It was the best example of this wine, which I have tried five or six times, and would surely give the 1989 a good run for its money. The 1978 was sheer joy, and deserves 94 points.

Then we wheeled out a couple of first growths served blind. The first one was 2000 Mouton, which was surprisingly elegant and accessible rather than being a brooding behemoth as you might expect. I think it has a stellar future, and will evolve into a very great Mouton possibly to rival the 1982, 1986 and 2009. There are lots of moving parts in the background, and this wine will surely gain complexity as they meld together. On the night 96 points, but I am sure that will increase by a point or two a decade. The second wine was 2001 Chateau Margaux, a favourite of mine, which was dark and brooding on the night despite a four hour decant. Like the Mouton great potential, 95 points for now.

The next wine was 1989 Beychevelle, a very fine Beychevelle which lacked the intensity and sense of occasion of what preceded it, 92. With a magnificent cheese selection Tim brought from Paris we drank 1991 Penfolds Grange. It was easily recognisable as such but fell short of the 1998 we drank at a similar BWE event in London in the spring. Again 92 points. I don't remember the half bottle of 88 Yquem but someone said it wasn't quite right.

We were privileged to host such an illustrious group of BWErs from North America and France, to have some more happy memories, and come together and show solidarity in sad circumstances for Danny and Danielle.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sitting at Heathrow, heading back to the crazy USA.
Immense thanks again Ian and everyone else for your incredible hospitality.
I truly am a very lucky man to have such great friends.
I'll post more, including pictures, when I settle back in on the other side.
Jim
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Finally home after a long flight yesterday and relatively sleepless night last eve.

Firstly I'd like to extend many thanks to all of the wishes to Danielle and myself following my mothers passing from our extended BWE family. A very tough time indeed for us but what a way to take our minds off the turmoil before heading back than to enjoy such a fabulous evening with fellow friends and BWE'ers at Ian's place in London. Two years in a row now for three of us and this one was extra special having the benevolent dictator,Maureen and Danielle in attendance this year.

A kind toast to my mother and a few words with an excellent mature 90 Dom P to start got things rolling. As always we just carried on where we left off a year ago like time stood still and the night was incredible from start to finish. Great food,wines and company....what more can one ask in life!!

Ian and Tim have done a great job reviewing the wines and I'll not go extensively into them.

The 97 Floridene had trouble sitting in the same room with that incredible 70 Latour Corton-Charlemagne that Tim brought. One of my all time favourite experiences with mature Bordeaux. Simply amazing how it continued to evolve through the night. Normally a 47 yr old wall would have a very short drinking window once opened and this just continued to throw out new nuances as the night moved on. Stunning floral/lanolin/brioche nose with changing flowers/creme caramel/spice through the night. A real treat and my second wine of the night.

The most brilliant wine for me was the 2004 Richebourg. Who better to share a fabulous bottle with than a fabulous group of like minded wine lovers who would appreciate what was in the bottle. I was worried about bottle shock but if there was any I'd sure love to see what this would have been like right out of the cellar!! This travelled across the ocean in suitcase by plane....cruised the Iberian penninsula ,then National Express bus to London, bumped across cobbled roads to hotel then carted across town in tube to Ian's. Couldn't shock this thing more if I tried but it was simply stunning even if Ian did try to pull my chain initially by saying that it was badly corked and he'd have to pour it!! Nice try. This wine was as seamless as they get and certainly did not disappoint in any way. Happy to have shared and thankful that it performed so well. Since this was my win of the night I'm trending with Tim that maybe we should start Burgundy Wine Enthusiasts!!

The Conseillante's were near and dear to my heart. The 90 was great and a very well stored bottle being the third time that I've had it and the second best expression. The 59 was unbelievably youthful considering it was Danielle's birth year wine making it extra special for her. Both true Pomerol expressions with the 59 being my favourite of the two and my third WOTN.

The blind 75 GPL was a tough guess. When Ian said the tannins dominated on opening I thought 86 something and its colour held up with little bricking that would fit and much younger looking than a 75. Nice kirsch nose and up front to mid palate nice but the back end just dropped off the map. A good but not great wine and I'm not as critical of GPL as some. The thoughts around the table included Gruaud,Lagune,Barone,Montrose...as you can see what experts we really are!!

78 and 82 Lynches were both great with the 82 being the star and certainly much younger from all aspects than we all predicted. Both great wines but the 82 ahead by a long shot and a close 4th WOTN.

2000 Mouton was a treat but fooled us all. Much lighter colour reminding me of a Margaux and not the classic lead pencil/eucalyptus that I'd anticipate. A much more elegant Mouton than I'm used to and I don't think this will be close to the 86 or 82 20+ years from now but I'd certainly like to be proven wrong when the time comes!! 2001 Margaux out foxed us all as well being purply black brambly with some leather,cedar and spiced notes that completely got us all away from Margaux. Latour,Las cases,Haut Brion but not Margaux. Delicious and showing very well though much more youthful than the Mouton.

91 Penfolds Grange a good bottle but out classed by most and not my style preference.

89 Beychevelle unfortunately for me was beyond my level of tolerance appreciation by the time it came to the table. Tried it. Gave it little attention and moved back to the ones in my glass that I had been savouring through the night. How could one move from the Richebourg,Corton,conseillante or Lynches let alone the Mouton and Margaux for the Beychevelle. I didn't have enough alcohol room left in my body to waste on a lesser wine unfortunately.

The disappointment of the night was a corked 88 Y'Quem. It still amazes me to witness the discussions around is it or is it not corked by so many experienced drinkers. Again I'm sensitive to TCA and others aren't.

My ranking of the nights gems was not difficult for the top two and beyond that the next 5 or 6 were so close they could easily be moved up or down a slot or two. No questions about the last 3.

1. 04 Richebourg
2. 70 Latour Corton-Chrlemagne
3. 59 Conseillante
4. 82 Lynch
5. 2001 Margaux
6. 2000 Mouton
7. 90 Conseillante
8. 90 Dom
9. 78 Lynch
10. 91 Grange
11. 75 GPL
12. 89 Beycheville
13. 88 Y'Quem
14. 97 Floridene

Highs of the night were catching up on Jims love life, Tim's new job outside of Paris starting in a week and laugh of the night was Maureen pouring her wine into her glass missing it by 3-4 inches and continuing to pour...maybe a little too much to drink and maybe issues with her depth perception!!

A huge thanks to everyone and look forward next time where ever.
Danny
mek

Post by mek »

In my defence, M' Lord, an eye operation a few weeks ago (detached retina) and monocular vision were both to blame for the depth issue. Suffice to say, I can only proffer the 'Dutch courage' and simple lunacy on the night to even attempt to take the bottle in to my own hands.

A glorious evening had by all; one of merriment, nostalgia, great wines and company. Hopefully, the evening provided a short respite to Danny and Danielle following the sad news of their dearest Mother (in-law).

Lovely to see everyone and we hope it is not too long before the next rendezvous.

Toodle pip!!
Last edited by mek on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mek

Post by mek »

I agree, the Yquem was corked. Luckily that was the wine I attempted to pour.

My ranking: -

1. 78 Lynch
2. 82 Lynch
3. 59 Conseillante
4. 90 Dom
5. 70 Corton – (great surprise, super wine on the evening, very fresh)
6. 04 Richebourg
7. 2001 Margaux
8. 2000 Mouton
9. 90 Conseillante
10. 97 Floridene
11. 91 Grange
12. 75 GPL (most entertaining blind tasting example)
13. 89 Beycheville
14. 88 Yquem
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

There is clearly a big difference between pleasure now...

By enjoyment now, my ranking

82 Lynch
Corton Charlie
DRC Richebourg
DP
78 Lynch
59 Conseillante
Mouton
Margaux
Grange
Beychevelle
90 Conseillante
Floridene
GPL
Yquem – faulty

...and potential 10/20 years down the track, my estimate

By potential

Mouton - hold
Margaux - hold
Yquem – drink/hold
DRC Richebourg – drink/hold
90 Conseillante – drink/hold
82 Lynch – drink/hold
Beychevelle – drink/hold
Grange – drink/hold
59 Conseillante – drink
78 Lynch – drink
DP – drink
GPL - drink
Floridene – drink soon
Corton – drink soon
jckba

Post by jckba »

Great lineup and it’s always funny how orders of preference can change when current drinking versus future drinking potential are/is taken into consideration.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OMG, that’s an epic line up. Wow. Sounds like a Saturday night at a BWE Convention...

I hope to get to London again one of these days, or at least see Ian and Maureen in NYC. Been way too long.

And hopefully the BWE Euro contingent can make it to Denver should the Convention be held in the Mile High City down the road.