Mo's Sonoma House is no more.

William P

Mo's Sonoma House is no more.

Post by William P »

Maureen just posted on Facebook that her parents Sonoma home was destroyed by the fires now raging there. Many of us spent more than a few wonderful evening there drinking wine and telling tales. BWE actually had a wine event there. Good times.

Mo, if you read this, I'm sorry for the loss suffered by your parents and you. Just know that nobody died or was injured. Material things can be replace.

Bill
Winona Chief

Re: Mo's Sonoma House is no more.

Post by Winona Chief »

This is so sad. I have been reading (on Facebook) about the devastating effects of wildfires in Sonoma (and parts of Napa) wine country. Much damage at a number of wineries.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mo, Jan and I are so sorry to hear this.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's devastating news.
tim

Post by tim »

It looks like Alfred Tesseron's Napa estate is in the fire area as well. So many houses and wineries destroyed. :cry:
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Never been to Mo's family house in Sonoma, but have met Maureen a few times in the early years of BWE.

Sad news for sure and hoping Maureen and her family are safe and keeping good moral in the circumstances.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

How awful. Maureen my thoughts are with you. So sorry to hear this. I am glad that you’re safe.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve not been to Mo’s house either, but living in Colorado I’ve seen a lot of friends lose their homes to wildfires. It’s an awful experience but as long as everyone is safe, the sun still rises tomorrow.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I don't know Mo, but it's heart wrenching to hear people going through that sort of experience. Wishing them well...
tim

Post by tim »

Moe's Sonoma house was magical. There are few places I have been that I would call perfection, and that was one. I am heartbroken for her and her family. Luckily, no one was at the house at the time. Given the active fires still surrounding the area, it will probably be some time before they can go in and assess how much of the structure remains.
William P

Post by William P »

Since much of the fire (I believe this was the Nun Fire, there about 7 or 8 fires in the area) was around and above Glen Ellen I also wonder how Loxton is doing?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I have a fire fighter friend who thinks it is extremely suspicious so many fires started simultaneously.

The air is incredibly bad here today, and we're 80-100 miles away.
William P

Post by William P »

I would agree Tim. We both have spent many a night enjoying that house and view and maybe a few wines. Sad doesn't describe the situation.

Bill
tim

Post by tim »

According to the live fire map on the Press Democrat website, the fire has reached Alfred Tesseron's estate. It is so remote that it will probably be awhile before anyone knows the impact and whether it survived.
tim

Post by tim »

William P wrote:Since much of the fire (I believe this was the Nun Fire, there about 7 or 8 fires in the area) was around and above Glen Ellen I also wonder how Loxton is doing?
Looks like Loxton is on the very edge of the fire zone at the moment. So it is definitely threatened.
William P

Post by William P »

Today's map shows Loxton at the frontline of the fire. At least it is a defensive location, unlike the foothills.
tim

Post by tim »

Received an email from Loxton:
Dear Friends of Loxton,

As many of you know communities in both Sonoma and Napa County have been severely effected by wild fires that started Sunday night. While the fires continue to burn through the area, we wanted to let you all know that at this time all of the Loxton staff are safe! The winery is also OK as of now, however there is still no power or entry into the Glen Ellen area. At this time we have no access to incoming e-mail or phone calls and all business operations at Loxton have been suspended until we are able to regain access to the winery and power is back on.

We would like to thank all that have reached out to check on us and sent positive thoughts and prayers our way. Our hearts are with everyone who has lost their homes and businesses and we cannot begin to express our gratitude for to all of the service crews in the area fighting for our community.

We will keep you updated when we are able to get up and running again and appreciate your understanding through all of this.

Regards,
Loxton Cellars
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Terrible news all around but happy to see Facebook and email reports from so many wine folks that they are safe.

Moe's family house was indeed a wonder - such a tragic loss. We BWE'ers have plenty of great memories of the place.
tim

Post by tim »

Moe posted an update, they believe the structure was intact. If you look at the satellite images, it looks like the fire came right up near the house but might not have impacted it. They won't know for some time because it is all an evacuation area and they can't access the house yet. Fingers crossed.
William P

Post by William P »

Thanks Tim. That would be great news.

Bill
tim

Post by tim »

I just heard from Alfred, his Napa estate was almost completely spared despite being surrounded by fire, and everyone from the vineyard is safe. So some good news from California.
tim

Post by tim »

And just to give an idea of how lucky this is, here is where the estate was in relation to the fire:
tessnapa.jpg
tessnapa.jpg (160.87 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great news Tim. Great things come to great people!! Have you heard anything about Mo's place??
Danny
tim

Post by tim »

Haven't heard more yet, Danny, but the satellite images are promising. As far as I know they still can't access the property due to downed power lines.
tim

Post by tim »

Moe posted an update, she confirmed that the house survived, almost entirely intact! Even the trellis didn't burn. But the front door mat is half burnt! They are incredibly lucky (and thankful to the landscapers that removed all the brush around the house). Moe's Sonoma house lives on!