The 2012 Chateau Beauséjour Duffau

Nicklasss

The 2012 Chateau Beauséjour Duffau

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes, the Chateau who produced a magic 1990, and then, seems to have stay in limbo for many years, according to some critic... then the changes of 2008 (new consultant, etc...) made a good thing to the wine (well, the critics think so). It is not a wine we see that often, but I picked up a few bottles of the 2012 en primeur, to taste what that rebirth was about.

Opened a bottle Saturday, and revisiting the wine 3 days later tonight. Still a very dense red purple wine. Nose was nice Saturday and still tonight. Blueberries, blackberries, with strong spices, earty minerals, truffles, chocolate, plums. Very nice, with even a touch of austerity. In mouth, also complex and excellent. Blackberries with dry ginger, earth, dry mushrooms, with some purple fruit syrup flavors. Very dense, integrated tannins, long, wet cinnamon stick, purple flowers, some vegetals. Surely comparable to the 2000. Long perfumed final, mix of dark fruit, kind of oak hazelnut shell, and earth minerals. Will age very well, with some freshness and just a small toich of the 14 % alcohol. I guess it is on a par with the 2011 Chateau Certan de May i had the previous weekend, but this will age for a longer time. A no fault, even at this age. Well done. TN: 92-93+.

Am I falling into a trap, liking some Right Bank wines lately? Well again, that 2012 Beausejour Duffau is not about merlot, but effectively about terroir. Like drinking terroir blood (sorry for that special imaging).

Nic
Ognik

Re: The 2012 Chateau Beauséjour Duffau

Post by Ognik »

Any thoughts on 2008 Duffau? esp. comparing to 2012.
Best
jal

Post by jal »

Very nice,
I liked its cousin the 2012 Beausejour Becot a lot and purchased a few bottles.
Best

Jacques
jckba

Post by jckba »

My JJBuckley rep emailed me yesterday with respect to the arrival of the 2012 Chateau Beausejour Duffau-Lagarrosse at a Private Client offering price of $84 or 12-pack OWC: $1,008 which seemed pretty competitive even though it is only a 94 cent discount to their regular price.