2003 Beychevelle

AlexR

2003 Beychevelle

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

Not much luck today.

The 2009 Ch. de Sancerre (white) was past it and oxidised. Oh, still drinkable, but clearly too old.

Then then 2003 Beychevelle was really disappointing. Oh, I am not one to follow vintage generalizations like a lemming. But this had an unexpressive nose and was simply lacking in flavor, not to mention tension
I'd have been better off with a fresh fruity 10 euro bottle from the Côtes de Bordeaux.

Beychevelle in recent years is a wine I like very much. But this one was a dud.

Alex R.
Comte Flaneur

Re: 2003 Beychevelle

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes that is surprising Alex, but while there are many good 2003s - e.g., Montrose, Cos, Sociando - there are also quite a few horror shows too - e.g., GPL and wines from the Margaux commune.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed. Although when I saw the title of the thread I was expecting another 2003 Medoc success story.
AKR

Post by AKR »

In some ways I was more disappointed by the 2003 So. Rhones.

I thought they would end up like the 1990's.

Alas, not to be.

At least the 2003 Northern Rhones were terrific, and still drink well.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The scary 2003. I just hope that Bordeaux will find a way to deal with that type of vintages, as global warming might produce more "2003" in the future...

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I've been enjoying bottles of 2003 Ch. Potensac this year.
Nothing special, just friendly, mature claret.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

On release I thought the 2003 Potensac was like a poor man's 03 Pontet Canet. Haven't had one lately.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
I almost pulled another bottle of the 2003 Pontet Canet out of the storage unit yesterday.
For some reason, I pulled out a few nice Burgundies instead. It's been 95 degrees here every day and 95% humidity. Ugh. I think I may move to the Antarctic for a change.
I thought I'd probably cook up a hornet's nest of contrary arguments, but seems like the Beychevelle has done it for me.

One reason I am not a fan of 2003 is that the wines taste too much like warm area wines from Australia or the central valley in California.
Okay, there were some successes but most were not to my taste.

As an aside, I have found some of the lesser 2009s (yes, 09) a bit similar. Some seemed burnt, not and dull to me.
Overall I think 2009 is a very good vintage but the lesser wines, after trying quite a few here, were highly variable and not nearly as even as 2010.

SO my working hypothesis is that 2009 will NOT be a great vintage overall in 10 years, but one with many great wines.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Gosh, it is so hard to make generalizations, but that is NOT a put-down or a criticism.
I do it too, but then slap myself on the wrist ;-)

As for 2009, I remember tasting the wines en primeur and struck by how GD *alcoholic* the right bank wines were.
However, it realy, reallly, really is a different case in the Médoc.
I can never remember tasting better wines from St. Julien, for instance.

As for the 2003 great growths, I have heard good things about LLC and have enjoyed Pontet Canet. I have a bottle of the Ducru in the cellar.
Cellartracker notes for what they're Worth (and I find that, when there are enough of them, they are Worth something) are pretty good for the Ducru.

All the best,
Alex