2008 La Louvière and musings on this château

AlexR

2008 La Louvière and musings on this château

Post by AlexR »

Plain roast chicken – the right kind of free-range chicken –is one of the world’s great dishes. Strange to say, top-rate chicken is not so easy to come by in many countries.

But I digress.

The chicken was accompanied by a 2008 La Louvière (rouge).

There was a time, and I was not alone in this, when I thought it was a(n) historic mistake that La Louvière was not included among the great growths of Pessac-Léognan, especially since André Lurton, the owner of La Louvière, was one of the people behind the creation of the AOC 30 years ago. And I have had some fine bottles in the past. But this 2008 was not up to par. The nose was non-descript and the wine was certainly decent, but unquestionably lacked the dimension of a great growth : a stunted nose, on the thin side, with a lack of personality on the palate, and not much of an aftertaste. I will not condemn La Louvère out of hand, but this confirms my impression that the wine has not kept its promise. In any event, I’ve always found it a wine better in the mid rather than the long-term. The price is certainly on the low side, but stiil, I was expecting more.
I have a bottle of the 2009 I intend to open soon.

Thoughts ?

Alex R.
Blanquito

Re: 2008 La Louvière and musings on this château

Post by Blanquito »

I hear you, Alex. I want to like this Chateau more than I usually do. I’ve only had one outstanding Louvière rouge: the 1990, which remains a great bargain in the secondary market.

I’ve enjoyed other vintages as nice, dependable Bordeaux — the 1998, the 2000, and some vintages from the 80’s — but they’ve all seemed to lack any real excitement.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Sadly the last bottle of Bordeaux I have purchased and am still cellaring is 06 La Louviere. Sad as in no more Bordeaux purchasing for a variety of reasons.
Glenn
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I liked a couple of bottles of the '98 and especially '00 when young. But the '00 took a very ornery turn and to my knowledge has not come back.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

La Louvière a bit like Carbonnieux, always had a better white than red in the past.

And when you think about it, out of the Crus Classés, many Pessac Léognan that do white and red has success with one color and less success with the other.

To me, Brown and Cruzeau are better in red.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

I haven't had any in a long time so don't have a sense for how they are today.

89 and 90 were pretty good though.