Natural, bio, organic, SO WHAT?

Nicklasss

Natural, bio, organic, SO WHAT?

Post by Nicklasss »

MC has an adversion for natural/organic wines. For her, always too acidic, simple, beets, ... tonight, the 2014 Domaine du Coulet Cornas Brisecailloux was like that. Cranberries and beets aromas, acids, too much acids, mouth is light, with acidic fruit. I'll bring it back for refund. Sad.

I read many time that wine amateurs don't mind about organic or not, they want excellent wine. I'm like that too.

I opened a 2011 Mamuthone (grenache in Sardegna) and was way better. Medium red color, nose of meat, rasberries, red berries, pepper, red licorice. Mouth is slightly warm (15%}, but rich, anis, licorice, kirsch, herbs, warm cherries and red berries in mouth. Some acidity, no (or very ripe) tannins, "light on its feet" but "punches well" wine. Light pink peppermint on the final. Nice. Tn: 88.

I just ordered some organic Chénas two days ago... finger çrossed.

Nic
jal

Re: Natural, bio, organic, SO WHAT?

Post by jal »

So many great organic and biodynamic wines exist nowadays; Domaine Leflaive, Leroy, Marcel Deiss, Pontet Canet, just off the top of my head.
Best

Jacques
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Nic,

I know a nunmber of people who believe in organic and biodynamic wines the way others believe in Jesus Christ...

I will never go out of my way to buy a wine simply because it is organic.

It if is as good wine AND organic, so much the better.

But I have had a number of disappointments. I also don't like the politically-correct, touchy-feeling thing with organic wines.

Color me a cynical old geezer.

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The funny thing is that I did not know it was organic, when I bougth it.

I served MC first and she tasted the wine while I was grilling the steaks outside. When I came back in, she literally said to me "I don't like your organic wine", and she did not know what she was trying! She impress me all the time, this is one of the reason why I love her.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some people are sensitive to sulfur and get hangovers from it. (my sister and a friend have that problem)

For them the sans souffre types can be worth trying, Whole Food Markets usually has a small sliver of those.

However, they are too unstable for the normal retail chain of custody, and unless its a specialty retailer one has a high chance of something weird happening.

So that's one argument for that method, even if it may not be germane to me.

Sadly, the people who might benefit from those are usually so turned off by reds (having suffered over the years) that they rarely research this.

Speaking of Cornas, this seems like a fair enough deal

https://www.jjbuckley.com/wine/2009-cou ... 12790-750/
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

This thread shows how difficult it is to generalize. Some organic wines may be on the high-acid, AFWE end of the balance spectrum, but it’s not a reliable indicator. See Jacques' list above.

On the other hand, when it comes to sans soufre or "natural" wines, the risk of an unbalanced wine or bio experiment gone bad seems high enough for me to avoid them unless recommended by a trusted palate. If Arv says it’s good, I’ll try it. Not so much if an unknown sommelier or wine shop employee makes the recommendation.
jal

Post by jal »

Marcel Lapierre makes a great Morgon Sans Soufre. I wouldn't age them though.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Biodynamic/organic doesn't mean makers totally eschew sulfur though. They might just use a light hand with it.

I think the Ganevat SF Ed poured for us recently is totally natural though. Interesting, differentiated wine, but not something I'd affirmatively seek out, especially given the entry ticket.

Which also reminds me, Whole Foods has some of these kinds of wines, and on Friday Nov 3 there is a chance your outpost may have everything on sale, on their 30% off day. Usually its not worth the effort, but at my one there seems to be some potential wines of interest - Silver Oak for $50, Sea Smoke PN for $55 etc.