New WA - BDX cru bourgeoise

AKR

New WA - BDX cru bourgeoise

Post by AKR »

Just took a skim of the new WA.

Neil covers the 2015 cru bourgoise, and they are getting some very good scores

I have thought in some cases he's a little more enthused on them, or his palate differs from mine though.

La Tour de Mons is one of his 3 highest ranked ones btw.
AKR

Re: New WA - BDX cru bourgeoise

Post by AKR »

So last night on the (long) bus ride home^ I finished reading the summary and TN's for the 15 Cru Bourgeois report Neil prepared.

I guess in summary my takeaways are

* I can't tell if this was done blind or not, but I doubt it, since its hard to project drinking windows that way. However there are plenty of low scores, albeit for wines I am unfamiliar with, so I think he's being candid/fair/tough.
* It seems like there are 10-15 wines that hit the 90 or higher pt levels, which is pretty solid given that these are usually going to be inexpensive wines. To wit: Garagiste was quick on the gun last night offering up the 2015 l'Argentyre and referencing NM's new 90 review for $14.
* Many of the usual suspects for quality and value - Greysac, Charmail, Grand Branas Poujeaux, etc. -- are highlighted again.
* He does state that at this price point, the 2014's are also very good, and often comparable. So it may not make as much difference in vintage year for this level, compared to the cru classe, where more resources (selection, green harvesting, oak, elevage, etc.) can be deployed to maximize what mother nature has provided.
* Margaux AOC seems very well favored

^ my bus crashed into a car, which meant all kinds of delays. grrr.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wonder if NM will have anywhere near the effect on pricing that RP had. Though that seemed to kick in over 95 points, not 90.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I don't think so. Even guys like me who like/respect/read him aren't necessarily sure their palates align with his.

Happily there is still lots of great juice being made all over the world, and none of us are particularly in need of more swill.