JimHow

2014 Calon Segur has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

What a week!
Attachments
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg (104.96 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
JimHow

Re: 2014 Calon Segur has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

I was at the Hilton Midtown in NYC last Saturday, there were a lot of participants in the NYC Marathon staying there. We were talking near the elevator to a very humble young man named Geoffrey Kamworor from Kenya. There was just something about the way he carried himself, a quiet confidence. One of us asked him: "Are you going to be near the front?" He replied, quietly, with a shy smile. "Yes." We wished him luck, and told him that we would be watching for him. There were dozens of marathoners from all over the world throughout the lobby and the rest of the hotel, but something told me I should take a picture of this one guy.

On Sunday, I'll say he was near the front! Geoffrey Kamworor... The 2017 New York City Men's Marathon Winner!
Attachments
FullSizeRender-34.jpg
FullSizeRender-34.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And we crushed them in the merger vote, 84% to 16% for "NO" in Auburn, 64% to 36% for "NO" in Lewiston.
Now the obligatory Howaniec for Governor calls are coming in, yuck....

http://www.sunjournal.com/lewiston-reje ... th-auburn/
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We had this wine in SF last spring with Blanquito, who else was with us, Stefan? Nicola?
It is a serious wine.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Last edited by Blanquito on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Calon Ségur is the star since 2008 i guess. I particularly liked the 2008, 2011 and the 2014. I have some 2009 and 2010 but did not opened one yet.

Maybe time to.bring a
Calon to a long road trip to
Maine, before winter. But winter is already in northern Canada.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is a beautiful traditional northern Medoc.
It is big, just like I remember it in SF.
Unctuous, viscous, thick, but classy and smooth, balanced.
Deeply hued color, a Montrose purple.
Obviously still primary and oaky, it was closed at first but opened beautifully by night's end to reveal classic almost-Lafite-like cedar and pencil shavings, rich ripe black fruit, getting this in the $60-something range is a bargain.
There are a few more bottles left in the NH Liquor Stores at a good price with the $25 gift card special for purchases over $150.
2014 Calon Segur and Leoville Barton. Mmmmmmm doggie!
Rating: 94 points.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

2014 = my kind of vintage....underrated, fresh, supple and supremely drinkable now and later.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Congratulations on the election Jim.

Governor? So do you think you’d be a better exec or legislator? Still got the desire?
danzur

Post by danzur »

Couple things-thanks for the impressions on the '14 Calon Segur-I haven't tried it yet, but have 6 on the slow train from K&L-hope to see them in the next week or 2.

Hilton Midtown-I'll be there this week-my first trip to NYC. I've been a lot of places, but never NYC. I'll be locked up in a conference for a few days, but should have some free time in the evening, anything right around there I should check out?

Thanks JIm
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

JimHow wrote:This is a beautiful traditional northern Medoc.
It is big, just like I remember it in SF.
Unctuous, viscous, thick, but classy and smooth, balanced.
Deeply hued color, a Montrose purple.
Obviously still primary and oaky, it was closed at first but opened beautifully by night's end to reveal classic almost-Lafite-like cedar and pencil shavings, rich ripe black fruit, getting this in the $60-something range is a bargain.
There are a few more bottles left in the NH Liquor Stores at a good price with the $25 gift card special for purchases over $150.
2014 Calon Segur and Leoville Barton. Mmmmmmm doggie!
Rating: 94 points.
60 bucks? Jealous! Sigh! Everything Bordeaux is more than twice the price here in Canada regardless of exchange rate conversion. For examples, Lynch Bages '14 is CAD185 (USD145) and GPL '14 is CAD118 (USD90). For Calon Segur '14, it's even at CAD200 (USD150)
Last edited by Frederico on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done Dan, lots of attractions in the midtown area, including Central Park, MoMA, Lincoln Center, Museum Mile, etc., etc. Have fun!

I can't imagine getting back into politics, David, although it was kind of exhilarating to win in a campaign against a group of elitists who tried to take our cities away from us. The problem with Congress is that you have to raise your own money. At the state level we have a "clean elections" system where the public funds your campaign if you get enough small contributions. The governor's race is going to be wild next year, there are like 20 candidates.

I'm off to get some more Calon Segur today, Frederick, it'll be closer to under $60 with the NH gift card discount!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

$63 at Total Wine here.
It's going on my already lengthy wish list.
Although it might move to the top of the list quickly based on current data.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Do you know how much TW has in inventory Chris?
Is that $63 price some sort of limited time sale price?
The reason why I ask is that I don’t see myself getting back down to NYC until after Thanksgiving.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Do you know how much TW has in inventory Chris?
Is that $63 price some sort of limited time sale price?
It wasn't on my radar until you opened that bottle Jim. :)
I just logged in and added twelve bottles to my shopping cart, so I have to assume they have at least that many in the store.
As far as I know it's the regular price when you buy six bottles of wine listed at $xx.98
The website says there's more in two nearby stores as well, W. Htfd & Milford, but W. Htfd shows limited supply.
When I went in a couple months ago to buy some 2014 Talbot, they couldn't find it. It was still in the unopened OWC on the overhead shelf.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was just going to order 6 bottles from the Manchester store.
That's the one on the Merritt Parkway, right?
I bought 6 bottles from them previously.
Do you know how long they will hold them?
My recollection was that it was only like a week.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:I was just going to order 6 bottles from the Manchester store.
That's the one on the Merritt Parkway, right?
I bought 6 bottles from them previously.
Do you know how long they will hold them?
My recollection was that it was only like a week.
The Manchester store is the one near me, right off I-84, 10 minutes east of Hartford.
I've never used their ordering system so I don't know about hold times.
You could email me the receipt and have me pick it up if they'll allow that.
I could even twist my dad's arm to bring it to Maine next week if you want to meet him at the yurt in Liberty.
AKR

Post by AKR »

danzur wrote:Couple things-thanks for the impressions on the '14 Calon Segur-I haven't tried it yet, but have 6 on the slow train from K&L-hope to see them in the next week or 2.

Hilton Midtown-I'll be there this week-my first trip to NYC. I've been a lot of places, but never NYC. I'll be locked up in a conference for a few days, but should have some free time in the evening, anything right around there I should check out?

Thanks JIm
There is a goofy little fine wine shops in the side streets around that area. I can't remember the name/address but used to walk by it all the time on my way home. 95% of what they have is overpriced and common stuff, but every once in a while you'll find something good at a surprisingly fair price. I think people in the area just consign stuff there when they are moving or something that is what creates those oddball opportunties.

It's a couple of Avenues over, but if you like real Szcheuan food, there is a great place at 2nd and maybe 51st or so. Its so good than when friends from China would visit, they would want to go there, saying it was better than what they could find in the home country. Corkage friendly, so take a bottle of champers.
danzur

Post by danzur »

Thanks, I will seek out the Szcheuan place, and see what I stumble upon out there...sorry for the thread hijack :).
AKR

Post by AKR »

danzur wrote:Thanks, I will seek out the Szcheuan place, and see what I stumble upon out there...sorry for the thread hijack :).
Here it is.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/grand-sichuan-eastern-new-york

Ignore the yelp reviews, a lot of these people don't know the cuisine.

Tea Smoked Duck, Chong Ching Spicy Pepper Chicken, Ma Po Tofu, Stir Fried Lotus Roots are all singularly excellent there, at least the last time I was there, some years ago.

Sadly, it is not very Bordeaux friendly food.

All the renditions we've had of those out west are pale, sad imitations. At least we've found a functional enough Cantonese place.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Man, the food looks great in those pics.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the offer Chris, I'm gonna hold off, I have like 11 bottles, if they still have some in stock when I go through after Thanksgiving I'll pick some up.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Thanks for the offer Chris, I'm gonna hold off, I have like 11 bottles, if they still have some in stock when I go through after Thanksgiving I'll pick some up.
I may stop there again before Thanksgiving. If so I'll be sure to check stock quantity.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I was in the Manchester Total Wine tonight. I asked and was told they had 12 bottles in stock. When we found them it was in a bottom bin, not obviously displayed at all.
No one is going to buy them unless they are looking for that specific wine. (A couple vintages of C-S ('05,'09) are located in their fine wine cooler.)

They now have 10 bottles of 2014 in stock. The other two are in my cellar. :) and I got a second bottle of 2012 Rauzan-Segla.

I also asked about their policy of holding purchased wine.
Rolf said a two week limit was standard but he could arrange for longer storage if contacted by phone or email. He gave me his card.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

The '14 St Estephe de Calon Segur is available for a dollar less in upstate NY according to Wine Searcher.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

ok good to know Chris thanks.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Racer Chris wrote:The '14 St Estephe de Calon Segur is available for a dollar less in upstate NY according to Wine Searcher.
That's their third label, btw. Must be a very recent addition since it doesn't even show up on Cellartracker yet.