95 Montrose, 95 Gazin, and a couple more

AlexR

95 Montrose, 95 Gazin, and a couple more

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

There were 8 of us for dinner at my place on Saturday.

We started off with 2 Champagnes, 2005 Pierre Gimonnet premier cru and 2005 Drappier "Grande Sendrée". Unfortunately, neither were really stellar. The Gimonnet was oxididative, but without the advantage of tertiary aromas. The Drappier was ho-hum.

The red wines were served blind.

Seeing as it was the 11th day of the 11th month (although not quite 11 o’clock…), I served La Dame de Onze Heures (from 2011…), a Saint-Emilion vinified by Ch. Valmangeaux in amphorae and aged in barrels, foudres, and vat.
https://www.valmengaux.com/photos-1
None of the guests thought this was a Bordeaux, although everyone liked it. This was full-bodied and very fruity, the sort of wine that is probably better enjoyed young and vigorous. Although not your vin de terroir, it was much appreciated.

We had two 1995s with the main course (veal blanquette).

The 95 Montrose was enjoyed more by others than by me. It looked perhaps slightly younger than its age and the had, to me, more the indetreminate bouquet of an aged Médoc than the personality of a fine 2nd growth in a good year. I also found the acidity too strong. My track record with Montrose is not that great…

The 95 Gazin was much better. The color was deeper and more vibrant and the nose showed humus, truffle, leather and a bunch of other things . The wine displayed a velvety texture on the palate and a fine rich flavor. Good long aftertaste and this wine will hold for years to come.

We finished with a 1997 Château de Fargues. This was showing very well, without quite the richness of other vintages, although 97 is well-reputed in Sauternes. We all appreciated the aromatic complexity and balance. Not your top-heavy Sauternes by any means. An elegant wine as good as it will ever be (no need to wait).

Best regards,
Alex R.
Nicklasss

Re: 95 Montrose, 95 Gazin, and a couple more

Post by Nicklasss »

Very interesting. No vintage generalization but 1995 doesn't seem to be the top quality vintage that James Suckling raved about in 1997.

A good to excellent vintage only?

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ve been very happy with my 95s, though not ecstatic/blown away. Except for the first growths. I was extremely happy with them. Not because they tasted that great, but because the prices for them got just plain silly about 7-8 years ago. I ended up drinking a few and auctioning off the majority.
AKR

Post by AKR »

My 95 Gazins are all gone, but I thought they were all really good. I think I like the estate more than other commenters here.