TN 2003 Duhart Milon

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2003 Duhart Milon

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

From magnum, this drank very nicely. Soft textured, round, lush, sweet, ready. Has some structure and acidity for a future of some sort but no need to wait.

For those who've observed and commented on the practice among certain Chinese or other Asians, I'll give equal time: my sister first diluted this with seltzer water so as not to "get intoxicated too quickly" and then added Equal to compensate for the dryness.

Once it leaves the bottle it is up to you to enjoy it how you like.
JimHow

Re: TN 2003 Duhart Milon

Post by JimHow »

:lol:
stefan

Post by stefan »

I did know till now that your sister was adopted, Art. :)

We drank the 2005 Duhart a few nights ago. It is very good even if surpassed by the 1975 Pichon Lalande that we drank.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The holidays bring out the best... stories.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:From magnum, this drank very nicely. Soft textured, round, lush, sweet, ready. Has some structure and acidity for a future of some sort but no need to wait.

For those who've observed and commented on the practice among certain Chinese or other Asians, I'll give equal time: my sister first diluted this with seltzer water so as not to "get intoxicated too quickly" and then added Equal to compensate for the dryness.

My sister dilutes her gin with tonic water, in the same vein as your sister. I think they learn these things from Cosmo magazine or something.

I was kind of thinking to myself the other day -- how little love BWE seems to have for Duhart Milon compared to so many other estates. Good on HoundSong spreading some cheer there.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I've got the 2010 DM on my shopping list at Total Wine, to buy on my next visit.
I already have a couple of '09 Moulin de Duhart bottles resting downstairs.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a case of the 2005, a 6 liter of the 2002, and a magnum of the 2006.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

AKR wrote:
AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:From magnum, this drank very nicely. Soft textured, round, lush, sweet, ready. Has some structure and acidity for a future of some sort but no need to wait.

My sister dilutes her gin with tonic water, in the same vein as your sister. I think they learn these things from Cosmo magazine or something.

I was kind of thinking to myself the other day -- how little love BWE seems to have for Duhart Milon compared to so many other estates. Good on HoundSong spreading some cheer there.
The 2000 DM was super--it remains one of my favorite wines from my purchases and ranks very well with exalted estates others have kindly shared with me. The 2002 was very classy, and I have one more bottle. The 2003 is very good wine, but not typically high-pitched. My main objection to DM is the same one I have to very many Bdx. I doubt it is worth today's freight, either for past or current vintages.
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Had a bottle of the 96 recently that was very tasty. Any thoughts on bottles from the 80"s?
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

had the '06 last yr....I didn't think it was that great...lacked that pauillac goodness and something about the oak on the finish seemed cheap or phoney...drank two seperate bottles that night....I have 3 in the cellar (purchased w/o tasting) because it is my son Cage's birth yr.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I've been hesitant to open any 2005's or 06's based on the many notes that have been posted. The underlying consensus is they are just too young. I recently picked up a 1990 at auction that I may open at Christmas and keep my fingers crossed it isn't cooked.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
You may know I have been in Singapore for 8 yrs now.
Can I tell you a true story about a trip to Hong Kong in 2011...

At the Regent Hotel, a group of businessmen were talking about some deal.
They all talked English and flipped from Mandarin, Cantonese to English at various times.

A member of the group would sip the red wine, then pull a face a little while later, then sip Perrier water.
At the end of the night, as we left the restaurant at the same time, I casually asked him why he pulled a face, drank mineral water et al.

He says, "I could not get the taste of the wine out of my mouth..."

So the wine was Mouton Rothschild, I think 82 or 85, and believe me, would have cost a fortune in Honkers....
The mainland Chinese see HK residents as crass by the way.

Having said that, I did buy some 2003 Duhart on en primeur.
I didn't really like it and sent it off to auction. I just have never got 2003 as a vintage. Oh well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What do the experts say about 2014 Duhart Milon?
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Had the 2003 DM yesterday. The nose had a roasted fruit character to it that was off putting. This aroma did not blow away with time. On the palate it had good fruit and decent length. Meh.
jal

Post by jal »

Claudius2 wrote: A member of the group would sip the red wine, then pull a face a little while later, then sip Perrier water.
At the end of the night, as we left the restaurant at the same time, I casually asked him why he pulled a face, drank mineral water et al.

He says, "I could not get the taste of the wine out of my mouth..."

So the wine was Mouton Rothschild, I think 82 or 85, and believe me, would have cost a fortune in Honkers....
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time....
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:What do the experts say about 2014 Duhart Milon?
from Winesearcher:
Jancis Robinson
When to drink: 2023 to 2035
55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot. Mid crimson. Lightly floral nose. Then some real substance and palate weight. Masses of tannins well managed to make a pretty competent medium-weight claret. Nothing showy but well done. Very much in Lafite style. Bone-dry finish with some persistence. Jancis Robinson
Tasted: 01-Apr-2015
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Chris.
Very much in Lafite style.
Yes, that is what I get when I drink a quality Duhart Milon.
I picked up one bottle on sale from the NH Liquor store the other day, I may have to give it a try.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Jim, I swear........... (lol). Your positive feedback on 2014 keeps giving me the excuse to buy more. All I ask is you comment before the current sale ends so at least I can save 15%. By the way, I popped a Sociando last night and was quite impressed.

I will say that NH is not cheap on this. After the 15% it nets to $65/btl. Total Wine in MA nets to $58 when you buy at least 6 btls.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha I know Gerry, picked up 5 more bottles of Leoville Barton plus some Lafon Rochet. Could only find two bottles of Meyney in Nashua. I’ll give the Duhart a try later in the week.