TN: 05 Bourgneuf [Pomerol]

AKR

TN: 05 Bourgneuf [Pomerol]

Post by AKR »

05 Bourgneuf [Pomerol] Popped and poured from a split. My bottles have historically said Bourgneuf although sometimes grey market / French tax stamped ones might say Bourgneuf-Vayron, which is what critical reviews are usually posted under. I had my Global Entry interview today, and after getting a verbal approval from the CBP agent, popped this open to relax at the hotel. It's a dark ruby colored wine, no bricking at the edges, with a meaty chewiness and tannic grip to it, with a pipe smoke bouquet. I had it while reading, but its a wine that would do well with a slab of meat: those who enjoy big, primary, youthful wines would like this. It's mostly merlot, with some CF, but it feels like a masculine Medoc. I think the last time I had this estate was a couple of years ago, when the 98 was in good form. This may not be at level of that, but its almost as good. I like this more than professionals did, but I'm biased toward this region, and I'm usually not drinking these on release. Not an elegant, silky Pomerol -- but I still like this firm, anise tinged example. I'd give it a B+, and would repurchase it if I came across more at fair prices. I'd expect it to live long on its tannic backbone.

I was just thinking, this is something for those who can tolerate Le Gay.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... hPVjJkbWd3
Last edited by AKR on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos Delpin

Re: TN: 05 Bourgneuf [Pomerol]

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Have you tasted the 2000? Took a flyer on a couple of bottles recently but have not tasted .
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 05 Bourgneuf [Pomerol]

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 2003 was really good, rich but very claret-like despite the rather prevalent opinion that the vintage was not kind to Pomerol.