Deep Purple live in London

Comte Flaneur

Deep Purple live in London

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Last Thursday I went to see Deep Purple, in their ‘long farewell tour’ in their 50th year, albeit with about eight different iterations, at the O2 Arena in East London.

Europe (I thought they were German until the lead singer described the band as ‘kids from Stockholm’) were a an ideal opener, with plenty of macho posturing, heavy rock antics, as misshapen middle aged people sporting Deep Purple t-shirts walked up and down the aisles trying not to spill the contents of their brimming plastic beer cups over other patrons. Even though they are essentially a one hit wonder, we have all heard it a million times, and they finished on ‘(Its the) Final Countdown.’ People stood up for the first time singing without inhibition and punching the air in unison.

My friend Franz and I managed a head start having dined at the RAC on Pall Mall with a rather magnificent bottle of Chateau Figeac 1982, the best yet, Yquem 88, Armagnac and the first cigar for about five years. Deep Purple came on at about 9pm and the volume went up a couple of notches as the 71 year old Roger Glover’s booming base, and 69 year old Ian Paice’s thumping drums, literally shook the O2 to its foundations. The band still exudes so much presence, power and energy, aided and abetted by a remarkably creative, albeit slick, picture show and close ups.

Lead singer Ian Gillan, now 72 is not as mobile as he used be, neither does he quite have the range to sing Child In Time. But he still exudes so much on stage presence and gravitas, and is still really on it, as he demonstrated as the band got into a riveting rendition of Fireball. Ian Paice, who apparently had a minor stroke recently, was immaculate as he was immense, culminating with the explosive pyrotechnics surrounding the finale of Space Trucking towards the end of the set.

The first half of the set focussed on newer material, including from the new album Infinite, and was nothing less than enthralling in its delivery. The most famous iteration of Deep Purple was Mark Two, and arguably the two stars were Jon Lord on keyboards and Richie Blackmore on guitar, jamming and dicing off each other with virtuoso performances. Lord passed away in 2012, and Blackmore has only made fleeting returns.

Their replacements, though not household names, are arguably equally impressive. Don Airey (69) is a wizard on key boards and Steve Morse (63) a colossus on guitar. Airey continues the pervasive classical influences of JS Bach that Lord pioneered to make the original sound so unique. Morse, the Ohio-born, youngster, was arguably the star of the show with his virtuoso solos and explosive riffs. I have never witnessed anything quite like the raw, albeit controlled, power of his guitar work.

The opening riffs to Smoke on the Water literally bought the house down. A somewhat frail looking figure had appeared next to Morse pumping out the most famous riff in rock’n’roll. I thought it was Richie Blackmore. For Franz it brought a tear to his eye because he didn’t look in great shape. Franz owns one of Richie Blackmore’s Fender Stratocasters which he purchased in London for £600 in the mid-1970s. But no it wasn’t Blackmore it was John Norum from Europe joining his idols.

https://youtu.be/xraiW0N93o8

We didn’t get ‘Highway Star’, ‘Child In Time’or ‘Speed King’ but the sound of the band in 2017 is tight, disciplined and had a shattering effect all night. I have been to quite a few concerts in my time but I honestly can’t remember anything better than Deep Purple at the O2 on 23 November 2017. The culmination of a memorable day. If it really is their last tour, what a way to go out.

Here is the whole concert:

https://youtu.be/gWXLS-lK4GM

Here is a BBC version of their set recorded a week earlier

https://youtu.be/R024FKJB7VI
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chateau Vin

Re: Deep Purple live in London

Post by Chateau Vin »

Looks like a great concert, and thanks for sharing...

Don't know why, but 'Smoke on the water' is one of those few songs that evoke a ton of emotion...
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

That brings back some old memories.
I haven't heard a song by Deep Purple in years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah, seventies vinyl rock with the How brothers.
Sneaking out some Old Milwaukees, Schlitz Malt, and the occasional Boones Farm....
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

They did a tour of the US this fall, they got excellent reviews. They are pretty sensational live. Those YouTube clips captured some not all of the magic, which is still there are 50 years.

Growing up in England in the early 70s, for me Deep Purple always were the ultimate hard rock outfit, more so than LedZep and much more so than those interlopers Black Sabbath.

But I would say that, being born where I was when I was. I was just thrilled they got their shit together so well the other night. Richie Blackmore is strugggling a bit these days if you watch Rainbow clips on YouTube.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I thought this was a follow-on tasting to the Pichon Baron masterclass.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:I thought this was a follow-on tasting to the Pichon Baron masterclass.
Lol! Nice one Art, the drollmeister..
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

With the way vintage rockers have been dropping lately, I was just glad to see "live" after Deep Purple in the title.
AKR

Post by AKR »

82 Figeac and rock that's even older!

Awesome.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ian,

I'll play the devils advocate here and probably take a hit for it but I've been to a number of revival concerts that I thought the artists should have packed it in years ago and they're doing it because their egos are forcing the issue or they've pissed away their fortunes. Brian Wilson tops my list from the Beach Boys had two catatonic Bluesfest appearances in Ottawa. Parkinsons and drugs have left him a wreck but the venues were packed only because of our memories. The backup band was fabulous but felt sorry for Brian.

Roger waters from Pink Floyd and THE WALL toured the world and I didn't get the hype. I loved Pink Floyd in the 70s but I thought the concert was terrible..I know Nic Loved it but to each his own.

Deep Purple was big during my high school years and I loved the group but this rendition of Smoke On the Water at least on the video made me think are you kidding me!! The guy can't sing anymore! No question the song brings back emotions of my youth but personally I'd rather have memories of how great they were rather than coming away from a concert thinking that they are has beens!

There are a few old ducks still going that I've enjoyed after their prime and the Elton John/Billy Joel tour a few years back comes to mind and I thought Cher was going to be a disaster but she surprised us all putting on a great show. Shania Twains dogsled return for this weekends Greycup halftime show was entertaining and there may be some life left.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I agree Danny that Ian Gillan’s voice is not what it was, and he doesn’t have the range, but I wouldn’t agree that he can’t sing. If you watch the whole show - second link - it was a strong performance. Also the new album is very good too.

What you get these days is very slick production since the days when Johnny Rotten, asked in 1976 about his opinion of Led Zeppelin, famously said ‘I would t pay five quid to see four ants on stage.’ (Asked about Kiss he said ‘they can kiss my arse).

That is what makes them still great events if the band can still play and the singer can still sing. The Stones still do a great show even though Jagger’s voice started to deteriorate in the 1970s.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Like drinking an old wine that’s past its peak but is still enjoyable for its complexities and the memories it evokes.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Great report Ian!

I've always been a die-hard fan of rock/heavy rock.

Deep Purple with Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore were the best set up in my honest opinion. Then David Coverdale instead of Ian Gillian wasn't bad either. Had a riveting voice and understanding with Blackmore. As a lead guitar I don't think Morse is up to Richie Blackmore's talent and virtuosity.

I saw Deep Purple twice in 1972, before that Ten Years After with recently passed away Alvin Lee, Led Zeppelin twice, Rory Gallagher (fantastic guitarist), Dire Straits twice, Gary Moore the god-blessed guitarist of Still Got the Blues who died far too early, AC/DC twice, KISS three time and recently, Guns & Roses in June this year and last month at last Rolling Stones with over 70 years old Mick Jagger, Ronnie Woods and the "father" of Captain Jack in Pirates of Carribbean, Keith Richards. Yes, Rolling Stones was like drinking old wine.

I regret that I've not been able to see Queen and Status Quo in live concerts.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My best concert experiences, off the top of my head:

Queen in 1975 at the Lewiston Armory in Lewiston, Maine, just before they recorded Bohemian Rhapsody.
Rolling Stones 5 times in Boston area.
Grateful Dead (twice, including the famous September 1980 Lewiston concert)
Prince
Eric Clapton
Steely Dan
Til Tuesday (I used to hang out with Aimee Mann at "The Rat" in Kenmore Square, Boston.)
Aerosmith
Kiss
Boz Scaggs
ZZ Top (My first concert ever)
Simon & Garfunkel
Elton John
Billy Joel
Paul McCartney
Bryan Ferry
Madonna
Van Halen
Bob Dylan
Gladys Knight and the Pips
U2
Roger Plant, opening for:
The Who
Roger Waters The Wall (liked it a lot better than Danny did)
Bruce Springsteen
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Boston (at a Patriots game)
AC/DC
Mark Knopfler

The greatest guitarist who ever lived:
Lewiston's own, Lenny Breau

I agree with you, GBF, I've seen the Stones five times and I think their most crisp performance was their last one, when they were all like 70 years old, in Boston.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
Unfortunately never seen Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix in concert.
I think my best experiences were (in no particular order):

AC/DC at my high school dance as well as several other pub concerts (yes, we were all teenagers...)
Neil Young
John Fogerty
ZZ Top
Eric Clapton (a few times) but he could try a bit harder to communicate
Rolling Stones (in the old days)
Santana
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Dream Theater
The Scorpions (only concert I have seen in Singapore)
Graham Parker and the Rumor
Pink Floyd

I'd have to say the most disappointing concerts was U2.
There were several other disappointments but I expected a lot from U2 and they delivered very little.

Incidentally, I still play electric guitar nearly every day, and there is a Fender Stratocaster on my sofa....
jal

Post by jal »

My least favorite concert of all times was Bruce Springsteen
My two favorites were The Eagles and Jimmy Buffett (so sue me, I'm not a parrothead but his concerts are a lot of fun!)
All at Madison Square Garden.

I'm thinking of going to London for Eric Clapton, Gary Clark Jr., Steve Winwood and Santana in July. I'm just hesitating because I heard Eric Clapton is suffering from some ailment in his hands and his guitar playing best days are behind him.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I have to say I've never been that interested in seeing my old favorite bands play in concert nowadays. I did see ELO once at a cabaret dinner at UCONN (early 2000's) at my wife's request but that's the only one I think. The first time I saw ELO was at COBO Hall in Detroit around 1976. Two very different experiences.

My most memorable concert experience was seeing Tangerine Dream with the Laserium Light Show in the Avery Fisher Auditorium (NYC) in 1978. Best.Trip.Ever.
Other notables, in no particular order, include:
ELP
Tull
Moody Blues
Yes - twice
Patty Smith - twice
Supertramp
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Heart, The Eagles, Joe Walsh - at Yale Bowl
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was watching this 2001 U2 concert in Boston on YouTube the other night, I thought it was good.

https://youtu.be/BYOu7N8e9PU
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow you guys have seen a lot of live music.

It makes me very nervous to go to those kinds of things nowadays since they are terroristic targets.

Plus it makes me mad to see the service charge scam.

Still, J. has gotten us Chris Botti tix for our anniversary.

Fucking Ticketmaster.
jal

Post by jal »

AKR wrote: Plus it makes me mad to see the service charge scam.

Still, J. has gotten us Chris Botti tix for our anniversary.

Fucking Ticketmaster.
Yes, the service charge sucks. But we do it very rarely. I think last time we paid that was to see Andre Rieu in Tampa which wasn't great to begin with.
We saw Chris Botti in Sarasota last year (no service charge). His show is awesome! You'll love it.
Best

Jacques