TN: 1996 Moulin St. Georges St. Emilion

JCNorthway

TN: 1996 Moulin St. Georges St. Emilion

Post by JCNorthway »

In anticipation of the launch of the new BWE, I felt it was time to enjoy a nice Bordeaux with dinner that past Saturday. So with mustard-herb coated roast rack of lamb, Paula and I opened this 1996 Right Banker. Sadly, this was the last bottle I have of this wine, purchased on release at about $25 (I think the 2005 was near $50). Earlier bottles of this had seemed somewhat closed, with tannins stepping on the fruit. This bottle was really beginning to sing. Decanted for a couple of hours before dinner, it was still somewhat closed with a lot of structure. As the wine sat in our glasses it started to open up a bit. It was a really nice balance of fruit, earth, tannins, and plenty of freshness and youth on the nose and palate. Parker gave this 89 points with a drinking window of 2001-2015. I'd say, he was right about the drinking window. This is beginning to be really enjoyable, but it still has many years left - I think it will be enjoyable several years beyond 2015. As for the 89, I might make it 90 or 91; to me it's better than an 89 pointer. Thanks for all the talk recently of the 96 Medocs; it reminded me it's been quite a while since I'd had a 96 from either bank.

Day 3 (tonight): The remainder of the bottle from Saturday was placed in a half-bottle decanter (handy little device) until tonight. This wine remains quite enjoyable 48 hours later. The tannins are a little softer and the palate has a noticeable cedar presence. I slightly preferred its profile on the first night, but others might prefer it now. You would not go wrong either way.

viva la BWE!

Jon
PatrickDL

Re: TN: 1996 Moulin St. Georges St. Emilion

Post by PatrickDL »

Jon, thanks for the note! I opened my first one of these last year and thought it still on the young side. I'll leave my remaining bottles for a few more years before opening another. I've tried a few other 96 RB's lately and didn't think any were in prime time yet. P
JCNorthway

Re: TN: 1996 Moulin St. Georges St. Emilion

Post by JCNorthway »

Day 4 (Tuesday): There was still better than a glass of wine in the half-bottle decanter after I tasted some last night. It was still enjoyable to drink tonight. The cedar component was more prevalent, but it still possessed pretty good balance given the amount of exposure it's had to the air. I was actually surprised. Usually by this time in an open bottle's life, I feel that a proper burial is the only respectful thing to do. But I drank the very last drop of this.

Has anyone seen this wine available lately? I'd love to put away another half-case for a rainy day.

Jon