2000 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

DavidG

2000 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Post by DavidG »

Popped one of these last night 'cuz it was Tuesday, and I ain’t gettin' any younger.
  • 2000 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (11/29/2017)
    Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Seems a bit tired on opening with reticent nose, more tannins than fruit, but after an hour in the glass it starts to open and continues to improve. Cassis, tobacco and earth on nose, medium-full body, some complexity, good balance, medium finish. Has years to go and likely to improve as it becomes more complex, but not a fruit-forward wine. Excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker

Also found this note of Jim's on this wine from 2010, when the wine was still barely an adolescent. The Deep Purple reference caught my eye given Ian's recent post:

Black night it's not right,
I don't feel so bright,
I don't care to sit tight.
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line
that I'm free, free to be me.
Black night is a long way from home.

Deep Purple lyrics come to mind as I sip this inky purple Alfred Tesseron effort, like a boisterous young doberman puppy from one of the truly great Bordeaux vintages. I'm going to rank the 2000 Branaire a hair ahead of this wine because, while THAT wine was a combination of elegance and power, THIS wine is a combination of power and elegance. While that wine appealingly had no rough edges, this wine appealingly had rough edges. This was more tannic, but the black fruit was more pronounced, the cassis was more present. The other wine was one Robert Parker point more "complete" than this wine. Nonetheless, this Pontet-Canet is a stunner, and, like the Branaire, it displays what seems to be a 2000 vintage pattern that is evolving that it is "great-to-drink-now-and-for-at-least-the-next-twenty-years...." An outstanding, inky, rugged Pauillac.
dstgolf

Re: 2000 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Post by dstgolf »

We've enjoyed this a couple of times this year and most recently at my brothers after my mothers funeral and thought it was superb. I loved it as it was and yes you can wait for it to evolve but it's in a very good place right now and not sure that it will get better with time but it will certainly have years of enjoyment going forward.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't know who that guy is from 2010 but it was clearly from his early, funny ones.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good to know the 2000 Pontet Canet is still an excellent wine. At the Chateau, it was very good too.

In my reserve, i have only the 2006 and the "alread-marvellllllous-and-maaaaagic" 2009.

David, I'll try to have a glass of a decent Bordeaux with you in DC 2018. I don't promess (as i never promess anthing to anybody) but we're surely done since a long time, to cheer with a great red.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

indeed, Nicola, it has been too long since we have shared a fine northern Medoc with DavidG!
Remember, in the event that the BD becomes incapacitated, I have already decreed that all powers of the kind and benevolent dictator of BWE are transferred to assistant manager DavidG....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nic, barring intervention from on high, we will most definitely share a glass of at least decent Bordeaux in DC.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

This is another 2000 when it starts slowly out of the gate but gains steam with time/airing. I'm not convinced the bigger names are any where ready.