2014 Le Dome and Mazerat

dstgolf

2014 Le Dome and Mazerat

Post by dstgolf »

Well we arrived in Palm Springs today and first stop on way to condo was Costco to see what wines were available and pick up a couple of USDA Prime steaks for the grill tonight. Well not sure on the pricing but we don't see le Dome or Mazerat coming in to our LCBO or SAQ and there they were in Costco!!! What gives. Michael Ps cult wines in Costco who'd have guessed. 96pt dome and 95 pt Mazerat for $89.99 & $54.99 respectively. Not being the chewy tannin guy like Jim I held off opening either bottle tonight and made the mistake of opening a 2014 Beringer Knight Valley cab and that was a charred oak mistake. I think either of the others would have been a better choice but after a long day up at 3am to catch early morning flight we were exhausted by dinner and and just wanted to get it over with. We'll look forward to trying tHese later on but does anyone have any views on either of tHese. Open now or hold for a while??
Danny
dstgolf

Re: 2014 Le Dome and Mazerat

Post by dstgolf »

2014 le Dome opened tonight at Cuistot in Palm Desert. My first 2014 of the vintage and it didn't disappoint. A little awkward at first seeming a little hot,metallic and off balance but soft ripe tannins. After the first course of braised short rib ravioli with chanterelles and red wine reduction this smoothed out tremendously. Nose wide open with soft ripe cherries/plums,liquorice and spice. Light on its feet but smooth spiced plummy fruits with cassis backbone. Lovely wine and if this is representative of 2014 then this should be a very good year. Yes Nic this brought back some nice memories and the wine ended up exceeding expectations for such a young vintage that ordinarily I wouldn't touch at this stage but this was certainly a lovely wine matching a wonderful meal. Only complaint for a fine French dining establishment the portions were more Americanized. We were both full after the app and then the mains would have fed a family...crazy large portions and I don't get this concept that people in the USA aren't happy unless they leave with a doggy bag??!! Most tables around us were packing up bags to leave with and I can't say that we've ever experienced this Americanized portion in any French restaurant anywhere. It's usually the opposite that you get home and have to stop at Mickie Ds to fill your stomach before going to bed!!
Danny
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

dstgolf wrote:.
I don't get this concept that people in the USA aren't happy unless they leave with a doggy bag??!! Most tables around us were packing up bags to leave with and I can't say that we've ever experienced this Americanized portion in any French restaurant anywhere. It's usually the opposite that you get home and have to stop at Mickie Ds to fill your stomach before going to bed!!
Not to mention boatloads of food that gets thrown out in the garbage everyday while billions across the globe go hungry everyday...

Sounds like a good vintage on both sides of gironde and am pretty sure good qpr values can be found since the vintage seems to be under the radar...
jckba

Post by jckba »

I own some of the 2009 La Forge as well as some of the 2012 Vieux Mazerat and have tried some of the others and these Jonathan Malthus Wines while modern they taste good and are also balanced and for me thats what really matters.
AKR

Post by AKR »

There's one GSD who is the pro doggy bag camp here!

I've only had a young La Forge and thought it was ok, a little anonymous.