2011 Clau de Nell cuvée violette

Nicklasss

2011 Clau de Nell cuvée violette

Post by Nicklasss »

Anne-Claude Leflaive is better known for her wines in Bourgogne. But she mades some wines in Loire too, with the same biodynamic concepts, in an area more northern, more humid than Bourgogne... a real challenge.

I had a few of her wines from Loire and Ilke their authenticity.

I had a first bottle of that 2011 cuvée violette, few years ago, and did not liked it. I did not understand at this time as I had some other wines from Loire from Leflaive, and always been surprised and touched by style.

That second bottle is way more "metting Expeçtations". Even impressive for a 2011, a medium vintage in Loire. I think there is more variation inter bottle with organic wines, but this second bottle is excellent. Color is weird, like purple red with light red rims. Nose is usual from the two cabs, with a first nose of the name of the cuvés, so strong violette flowers, but also earthy red berries, green pepper in a good way, spices, licorice and vine leave. In mouth, good power of fruits, with light blueberries, flowers, soap, violet berries flavors. Tannic, great tannins, astringent, but long structured and strong perfumed fruity and chalky minerals. A marvellous wine. Tn: 92-93.

You don't encounter that style and character so often in Loire or even elsewhere. Lot of complexity.

Nic