Getting to about that time for BWE Wine of the Year....

JimHow

Getting to about that time for BWE Wine of the Year....

Post by JimHow »

Still nearly a month to go, but what has been your favorite so far?
Comte Flaneur

Re: Getting to about that time for BWE Wine of the Year....

Post by Comte Flaneur »

My candidates would be one of the best wines from the 2016 vintage. Of the ones I tried, which did not include first growths, my top three were La Conseillante, Leoville Lascases and Pichon Comtesse

My other candidates would be:

Lynch-Bages 1982 - drank with the BD, Danny and Tim - such a great bottle
Figeac 1982 - another great bottle drank before the Deep Purple gig
Gruaud-Larose 1985 and Leoville Barton 1985 - both perfectly a point examples of quintessential claret
Leoville-Lascases 1988 - likewise
Ducru Beaucaillou 1995 - starting to fulfill its promise, a legend in the making
Cantermerle 1989 - extraordinarily good every time
Last but not least Pichon Baron 2010 - deserves some kind of life achievement award because it is so brilliant. Tried it for the fourth time a few weeks ago. The 2005 is also starting to ‘kick ass’

But my final answer is Pichon Longueville Baron 2010
jckba

Post by jckba »

I am going to restate my yearly diatribe in that I think the BWE WOTY should come from the most recent Bordeaux vintage that has come to market and in this case that means the 2014 vintage b/c otherwise I have trouble deciding from what vintage or decade one should be allowed to pick from. The only problem with this stance is that I have only tasted one 2014 Bdx wine since attending the UGC tasting in January, but if I had to pick one, I think that GPL hit it out of the park in 2014.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'll try to have influence on the BD, and will attack with my best arguments.

I would recommend the 2014 Chateau Calon Segur for these reasons:

1. Chateau Calon Segur, in the last vintages, is a top traditional style red Bordeaux. Want it or not, the 2008, 2011 and 2014 are great wines, for these medium/good vintages.

2. We never had a Saint-Estèphe for BWE WOTY. It would be about time as the AOC is surely a favorite as the few Crus Classés have all good reviews here (even Chateau Cos Labory is respected here).

3. After a Right Bank as 2016 BWE WOTY, it is time to be back to serious things in 2017. Left Bank rules!

4. Normally, lot of Cabernet Sauvignon in Calon Segur. Isn't the grape that define great Bordeaux?

5. The BD and all BWEers that had the 2014 Chateau Calon Segur, have been positive about it.

6. The World need more love in general, so a wine with a heart on the label can just help.

7. Is there someone against that nominee? If yes please write why.

Nic

P.S. i'm happy to have been the first one to propose 2014 Chateau Calon Segur as 2017 BWE WOTY. I feel like I did a good thing today. And I know I have probably touched a soft spot of the BD.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well done, Nic, you’ve convinced me! And I’ve never even had 14 Calon Segur. Plus it’s a current release.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A lawyer-like presentation by Jean-Nicolas Maltais, Esquire.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Having tasted the 2014 Calon Segur last night, I can def get behind this selection.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A very robust and - if I may be so bold - wise set of arguments Nic.

I would add:

8. Arguably one of the most improved estates in recent years

Calon-Segur featured as one of the ten most improved Bordeaux Chateau in the latest edition of Decanter.

I haven’t tried the 2014 but loved the 2008 and 2010

All the smart money is now behind Calon Segur 2014
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...always a consideration.
How the estate has been performing in recent history.
danzur

Post by danzur »

Based on the 2014's that I have been lucky enough to taste so far, my vote would go to the open for business, flamboyant Pontet Canet....but I do have the '14 Calon Segur downstairs. I guess I need to open one in the name of science, and WOTY honors....thanks for being enablers :).
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Calon 2014 is a profund wine......but......
My call goes to.......Chateau Meyney 2014...... so much fun.....and a fair price.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Boy that's a good choice too Ognik.
Sure seems like a St. Estephe/Pauillac year!
Sipping on a '14 Lafon Rochet right now that is a beauty.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The past winners:

2000: 1996 Sociando-Mallet
2001: 1989 Lynch-Bages
2002: 1995 d'Yquem
2003: 1999 Haut Brion Blanc
2004: 2000 Pichon Baron and 2000 du Tertre
2005: 2000 Margaux
2006: 2003 Pontet-Canet
2007: 2002 Leoville Poyferre
2008: 2005 Burgundy vintage (protest vote)
2009: 1989 Lafite Rothschild
2010: 2005 Cantemerle
2011: 2008 Leoville Poyferre
2012: 2009 Giscours
2013: 2004 Smith Haut Lafitte
2014: 2010 Chasse Spleen
2015: 2012 Leoville Las Cases
2016: 2012 Barde-Haut
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I think the 2014 vintage of the northern Medoc would make a great choice particularly in light of the WS virtually ignoring it in the top 100 for the year.

I concur with 2014 Ch Meyney as an excellent example of the vintage and the fact it can be found for less than $30 a bottle is a bonus,
AKR

Post by AKR »

I thought it was weird WS chatted up Coutet.

Sauternes/Barsac get no love from the 4th Estate normally
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Ognik got a good proposal too. The 2014 Chateau Meyney is also a strong candidate. Surely better than the 2010 Chateau Larose Trintaudon I'm having tonight. But not the same terroir at all.

I passed more time tasting the Meyney than the Calon, but the Calon got lots of points for what Comte Flaneur pointed out: producing an improved wine in the last 8-9 vintages.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2014 Coutet is superb.
Light on its feet, like a 2011 d'Yquem... though not to the same rarefied levels, of course.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I could've sworn that I sent a reply before dinner but I must not have pressed send.

Nic,

If the 2014 Calon Segur is better than the 2011 we shared in Quebec City Fall 2016 then I'm on board.
We have only received 1/3 of our 2014 futures order so far. I'm expecting a 1/3 before xmas and the final in before March. Not sure why the slow rollout but so far little to no classified growths on the LCBO shelves either. Here in Palm Desert its the only vintage that I've seen for Bordeaux but the prices seem a little high even by our standards but it is California.

The other candidate for me would be any of the 2000( I'm sorry Ian the bottle that crossed back over the pond didn't show that well but the 3 others that were drank in 2017 were lovely Lafitesque!), 2003 or 2005 Duhart Milon. Also a little unsung around here until recently but the 03 would get my nod because it was a slammed vintage out of the blocks and certainly a vintage shunned by many but some wines from the vintage have come in to their own and this is one example that has been talked about on this board recently so because I've has this multiple times this year I have to give it my vote over a wine that I haven't tried yet but I'm sure will be as Nic reports.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

If we prefer a Bordeaux from a older vintage, from BWE 2017 weekend, i would propose the 1982 Chateau l'Évangile or 1989 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron or the 1989 Chateau Trotanoy. Maybe 1990 Chateau Rausan-Ségla and 1982 Chateau La Lagune could also be interesting.

Nic
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Guys
It should be a wine of the northern Medoc in 2014.
PLL, Calon, Montrose, Meyney.
You can' t go wrong with any of these.
I think Meyney is a no brainer.
marcs

Post by marcs »

My personal nominee, just from my experiences this year, is the 2004 Leoville Barton. Underrated cool year that is beautifully aged and ready to drink. It was a great deal for me at $60. And Leoville Barton has never won before, which seems like a massive oversight. If you love the left bank you could make a LB wine of the year pretty much every year.

Bordeaux isn't about wine fresh off the boat. It's about wines that are more than ten years old. Bordeaux isn't about St Emilion, or Parker-ized wine. Bordeaux is about reliable, classic, Leoville Barton. Bordeaux isn't about hot-weather "vintages of the century" that are overpriced. Bordeaux is about traditional years like 2004. Bordeaux isn't about $600 wines. Bordeaux is about getting a great, classic wine for $60.

2004 LEOVILLE BARTON FOR WINE OF THE YEAR!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I agree Marc an excellent choice. In 2004 Leoville Barton is better than any other super second.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I like the idea of a recent release. Not much experience with 2015 Bordeaux so it's hard for me to have an opinion. My favorites from 2014 are:
Pichon Lalande
Climens
Coutet

On the other hand, lots of great older Bordeaux to choose from. If we go in that direction, I think we should go with something many of us have enjoyed in 2017.

Chris Bublitz
danzur

Post by danzur »

Maybe this has been discussed in the past, but how about having (2) WOTY's each year-one being the WOTY-Current release, and the other WOTY-most memorable from a BWE event, or otherwise that many folks had a wonderful experience with?

MIne (after having the 2014 Leoville Barton this weekend):

Current-2014 Leoville Barton
Memorable experience-1998 Cheval Blanc
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Dan I agree that 2014 Leoville Barton is stunning.
danzur

Post by danzur »

RE: 2014 Leoville Barton-came home from a dinner Saturday night and have had this standing up. Popped and poured 2 glasses for my wife and I-it was angry, musty and tough to assess-"very french" as my wife said :). Very musty nose, but I could tell there was some really nice fruit and texture underneath.

Last night, I grabbed the bottle-the mustiness was gone, somewhat reluctant nose, but I could coax out some nice dark fruit aromas. Still a bit tannic, but great fruit, round edges, silky texture...this wine had balance, and wonderful mouthfeel. I'm glad to have a few more to hold onto.

Do not pop and pour....decant for a few hours at least :).

I still need to get to the Calon Segur....
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
Whenever I drink a 2005 Bordeaux I can't wait to try another.
I loved 1982 at the same age but seriously, 05 is better.
Even the Cru Bourgeois wines and lesser growths are very nice.
So I won't nominate the vintage of course but the most delicious wine I have had this year is the 2005 Ch Dufort Viviens Margaux.
This wine is still available in most markets and isn't that expensive, thus I think it deserves a showing here.
It isn't even a wine I have had much experience with, but it just exploded in the glass with masses of violets, red and black fruit, cedary oak and vanilla.

2005 was also outstanding in St Julien and thus wines such as Leoville Barton and Branaire also deserve a mention.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I attended a mini Leoville Barton vertical tasting hosted by Damien Barton Sartorious for the Wine and Food Society of New York in April and one of the wines being poured was the 2005 and the wine was completely closed with no obvious signs of flaws showcasing different dimensions of wood and pencil shavings with not much else. The 2005 Poyferre on the other hand is open for business and is delivering the goods!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

2004 Leoville Barton I have not sampled yet. I've got our Christmas dinner with my wine /golf buddies and their wives tomorrow. Everyone loves their Bordeaux/Burgs and the wines brought are usually exceptional. Is this at a stage of optimal drinking? Will it stand up to scrutiny and not disappoint. I'm willing to take it Comte and Marcs but I need enabling over the 2000 or 2000 Trotanoy which I'm not sure if its ready to go either. Can always go with 2000 Pontet Canet or Rausin Segla which won't disappoint.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Danny

The Leoville Barton won’t disappoint you if you open it tomorrow. It really is a class act that is ready to drink...whereas the 2005 (and 2000) are nowhere near ready. It will impress you most of all with its class and finesse. We tried it again in Pauillac just two weeks ago, and Maureen was bowled over by its class. In the vintage only Lafite is obviously superior. The 2000 Pontet Canet would also be an excellent choice, but I would go for the 2004 Leoville Barton.

Just my 2c...have a great dinner whatever you decide

Ian
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ian,

Thanks you just convinced me. I'll let you know following.
Danny
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

jckba
Wow, my experience with the 2005 LB is that it is drinkable now despite obvious youth.
Seriously, I have an entire case in my office which I just picked up today from auction sale.
Maybe I should put it in the storage unit for a while!
jckba

Post by jckba »

i went long in 2005 with multi case purchases of both the Barton and Poyferre and mine are at the bottom of my stacks as I am going to let them sleep another 10 years based off that btl but as Ian as previously stated, in the interim II would drink the 99, 01, 03 and 04 (or 14 ;)
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote:Folks,
Whenever I drink a 2005 Bordeaux I can't wait to try another.
I loved 1982 at the same age but seriously, 05 is better.
Even the Cru Bourgeois wines and lesser growths are very nice.
So I won't nominate the vintage of course but the most delicious wine I have had this year is the 2005 Ch Dufort Viviens Margaux.
This wine is still available in most markets and isn't that expensive, thus I think it deserves a showing here.
It isn't even a wine I have had much experience with, but it just exploded in the glass with masses of violets, red and black fruit, cedary oak and vanilla.

2005 was also outstanding in St Julien and thus wines such as Leoville Barton and Branaire also deserve a mention.
I love 2005 too. Maybe I love it even more because I didn't load up compared to other years, so it feels 'scarcer' to me when I peruse the racks.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I support any 2005 red Bordeaux as BWE WOTY. The greatest vintage ever!

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Plenty of 2005 love here. I did some serious cellar thinning in preparation for our downsizing. About 35 cases off to auction. I kept all my 2005 Bordeaux.

But I’m leaning towards a 2014 because they are the current release.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Enablers,

Just ordered 6 2014 Meyney from SAQ for Christmas. Hopefully those are right who are raising the praise but only time will tell. Never had Meyney that I can remember but I'm a sucker for St Estephe so hopefully....! Not the cheap wine that I saw on cellar tracker though going for $50.50 cdn at the SAQ or I guess around $39US with exchange. Cellar Tracker lists this in the low $20usd range...is this about right? Man we pay a huge premium to have a poster boy as a Prime Minister!!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just bought 6 (more) bottles for $30 each.
It's good, true, St. Estephe.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good move Danny. You won't be disapointed. An excellent wine, very Saint-Estèphe, that 2014 Chateau Meyney. Maybe just a very light alcohol touch on the final, that should integrated in the next 5 years. But everything's else at the right place.

I have some down, but I think I'll buy some more!

Nic