TN: 07 Sainte Helene [Sauternes]

AKR

TN: 07 Sainte Helene [Sauternes]

Post by AKR »

07 Sainte Helene [Sauternes] This is a Sauternes I've never seen nor had before. It is the deuxieme of de Malle, a quiet but good 2nd growth. It has an oily viscosity, golden colored wine with 13.5% abv. I get some citrus and zest on the nose. On the palate its 30 seconds in perceived length although doesn't have the unfurling layers some estates can show. Still over all its a very credible sticky, better than its mid week calling might suggest. 2007 was one of the many lovely odd numbered vintages in the last two decades and for a variety of reasons, was expensive stateside, so my experience (and purchases) of the year is a thinner than other (older) years. I never see this around, but if you do find one, give it a try -- I thought it was pretty good. Among the 2nds of Sauternes I don't see/buy them much, but I've thought the few instances I've drunk Carmes de Rieussec and Cypress de Climens those were good. The Sainte Helene would slide in at the very respectable B+ slot, and this example is better than smaller 2001's which are now fading to my tastes.

PS: I read that de Malle's garden's are famous and are popular reason to visit the Chateau.

Last edited by AKR on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Re: TN: 07 Sainte Helene [Sauternes]

Post by stefan »

I have almost no experience with 2nd Sauternes. Are there reasons to drink them other than price?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I'm a great fan of Les Carmes de Rieussec.

I'm glad you enjoyed Sainte-Hélène, Arv. Both 1997 and 2007 are good Sauternes years, but suffer from the reputation of the red wines.
Many bargains to be had.

Ch. de Malle is lovely and the Italian-style gardens in the photo stretch back some way.

You gotta make it over one of these days :-).

Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote:I have almost no experience with 2nd Sauternes. Are there reasons to drink them other than price?
I don't know. They don't seem to get imported much, or at least in the channels I frequent.

The wine was objectively good. I wouldn't have had any problem pouring it blind for BWE and seeing what they think.

I find that dry reds are more likely to disappoint me than the glorious golden elixirs.