The 2014 Lafon Rochet has been uncorked....

JimHow

The 2014 Lafon Rochet has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

Off to a strong start...
jckba

Re: The 2014 Lafon Rochet has been uncorked....

Post by jckba »

Just wondering how that Lafon Rochet is hitting you about now ... ?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yesterday, I sent an email to our provincial liquor store management as the 2014 are not massively arrived yet. Limited offer right now, probably under 10 Crus Classés... don't know what's going on.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This wine is a star. But don't expect your friends at the office Christmas party to like it.
Jeff Leve calls it the best Lafon Rochet ever and he may be right.
Brilliant nose, classic St. Estephe, wonderfully austere, 13.5% (I guess a little surprisingly).
It is stoic, structured, raspberry, raspish, rugged. Full-throttled, like the Calon Segur.
Pure, inviting, deep ruby/purple color. Cedary.
I think I'm moving that magic point on earth from the LLC/Latour border a little north to the Lafite/Cos border....
It hurts so good. It was delicious with a fatty ribeye tonight.
The price is right, this wine can be gotten for about $36 in either NH or at Bassins.
93 points. Yet another 2014 St. Estephe success story.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Simone birthday today, 9 years old. She looks more like 12. Things go fast. Halfway done as at 18, she'll have the legal age to taste the 2008 Chateau Lynch Bages you gave me (or her?).

Not lot of 2014 available here, don't know why. But hope we will have access to more.

Maybe I should buy some more 2015. And more 2016. It is that time. Source and lay down for the future. At 43, I feel my age more than ever. I went to the gym at lunch time, i'm ok but geez i can feel it. Would have preferred a 2014 Chateau Lafon Rochet, enjoyed over 45 minutes, instead of 45 min of bike-pushup at the gym.

Nic
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Just popped a bottle tonight and in the decanter. Took an initial taste and showed no rough edges but rather muted. One hour in and it's definitely opening up. Great mouth feel. Dark fruits and smokey tones on the palate. Obviously very primary but i sense this will evolve into something very nice. This is very enjoyable now so I may have to grab some more to age.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

As I said in another thread, I recently revisited this wine.
I think it is really top notch.
I think Jeff Leve may have called it the greatest Lafon Rochet ever. He may be right.
It is a big, hearty wine, but well balanced nonetheless. Very deep purple color, like a great Lafite.
It seems like the fruit was in just the right place in that neighborhood in 2014.
Structured but ripe. I wouldn't call it 1996-like, I think the tannins in 1996 were a bit more sharp.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 1996 Lafon Rochet. I think I love the 2014 even more....