1983 Pichon Lalande, 1983 Cos d’Estournel

Carlos Delpin

1983 Pichon Lalande, 1983 Cos d’Estournel

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Had these two wines yesterday and was surprised by the sheer pleasure inside each glass. The PL was joyful with sweet fruit and superb balance and length. The Cos was a bit more serious yet still offering tons of fresh dark fruit and aromatics. What’s your take on current state of the 1983 vintage? Is it worth backfilling from reliable sources?
Comte Flaneur

Re: 1983 Pichon Lalande, 1983 Cos d’Estournel

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Glad you had a good experience with these wines Carlos. I think provenance is important if you are thinking of backfilling. I am a bit wary of his vintage, because I think in general - exceptions include Palmer and Chateau Margaux- these wines are nearing the end of their useful drinking windows. I have had plenty in the last few years which have needed drinking up including Pichon Lalande and even Latour and Mouton. I am similarly wary of the 1988 vintage and think the 1985 vintage is a much safer bet. But yes good bottles of 1983 Pichon Lalande, Gruaud Larose and Lynch Bages are fabulous examples of mature claret.
sdr

Post by sdr »

I haven’t had many ‘83s lately, so thanks for the update. Margaux seems to be WOTV.

Comte - can you tell us more about your recent experiences with ‘85? I had a bunch when young, but finished them all because they seemed light and not for the long term. Did they age better than I thought?

Stu
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Being a Brit Stu I have almost as much love for the 1985 vintage as I do for 1982. Parker nailed 1982, but he misread 1985. The wines were precocious but have great staying power. Generally for the top estates the 1985s have been drinking well for a while, but unlike other - similarly categorised vintages - like 1981, 1983 and 1988 they show no sign of flagging.

My wotv is Lafite, a wine which Parker slated, followed by Mouton, another wine he underestimated. Haut-Brion, La Mission, Latour, Leoville Lascases, Leoville Barton, Gruaud-Larose, Ducru, Cos, Palmer, Rauzan Segla, Cheval Blanc, Canon, Conseillante, L’Evangile, Certan De May - they are all magnificent.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Thanks, Ian. You reminded me I had the Conseillante not long ago and it was indeed excellent. Haut Brion was my early favorite. Sounds like a bit of back filling may be in order. Just when I thought I was done.

Stu
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
1983 was to my palate a Margaux vintage and also did well in the right bank and Pessac.
I am not convinced it did as well in the northern Medoc but this may come down to taste.
It has been some time since I have had the PL but it was definitely one of the vintages, and more enjoyable that some of the first growths.
My WOTV would have to be La Mission, which is richer and more compelling than HB.
And I have to say, the 83 Pavie was a wonderful wine young, and I preferred it during this era. Oh well.

Yet I have to say that 83 was not as even in quality as 82 or 85.