Question re JJ Buckley Wine Co.

JimHow

Question re JJ Buckley Wine Co.

Post by JimHow »

I just had my first experience with this company, purchasing 6 bottles of 2014 Duhart Milon at a competitive price.
It was a positive experience.
They seem to have quite a selection of wines. Thinking of buying some Burgundies from them.
Have others here had experiences with them?

https://www.jjbuckley.com/about-us/who-we-are
danzur

Re: Question re JJ Buckley Wine Co.

Post by danzur »

Many, many years ago I used to buy and sell occasionally through WineCommune. JJ Buckley somehow became part of this and sold wines as a retailer of sorts. I have talked to them a few times, and bought wines over the years, but it has been awhile since my last purchase (2-3 years)? Never a negative experience....good bottles, good prices when I bought from them.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Oh those Wine Commune days. Some good auction deals on Germans, until the BATF got involved.
Glenn
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I have been buying from them for quite a while. In fact, JJB is one of my oldest retailers I have been buying from. Never had any negative experience so far. Is your account handled by a sales rep? If so, I would suggest not to buy directly online by yourself. Shoot an email to the rep handling your account, asking the PCP (Private client price) and place the order you want. PCP is few dollars less than what you see online. I just picked couple of splits of 2012 Roederer Rose Brut for a PCP of 34, less than the cheapest available, 39 at KL...Of course not all wines listed have PCP, but most do...

If you don't have a rep, let me know and I can forward the email of my rep.(Disclosure: I do not get any referral from JJB)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok good to know, I just created my account, I've been dealing with a guy named James Katz.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Ok good to know, I just created my account, I've been dealing with a guy named James Katz.
Shoot an email to James asking him 'What is the PCP of 14 Duhart?' And when he replies, and if you like what you see, tell him to give you x number of 14 duhart (or whatever) and in the email you can just mention to either hold or ship. He will just charge the CC on file and send a confirmation...

I find that much easier and simpler than logging and making purchase myself...
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Haven't ordered anything lately but never had any problems.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Their website is so fussy that dealing with a rep is probably easier.

The main aggro I would say with JJB is that their inventory system on the web isn't what actually is available to order. I think what happens is that some bottles that have been purchased, but not yet delivered, appear as if they are still available. But when you try to purchase, the system doesn't let you buy them (or the rep can't get them). The reason I think that's what is happening is that observe the issue far more with wines they only have a few left in stock.

They're in the East Bay, and from my perspective, as someone who often picks up in person, they don't allow weekend pickups. It's really a warehouse kind of operation. Actually, given what they are (limited service outfit) I'd think their prices ought to be a little tighter than they are.

On the bright side -- good selection of Jeffrey Davies imports.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ditto what CV said. Good experiences, go through a rep and get the private client price.
TomRippe

Post by TomRippe »

Jim, I've been buying from JJ for many years. I've had nothing but good/great customer service. I strongly recommend them. I believe they offer six months free storage. You can sign up for daily emails of, usually, very tempting offers. Somehow, eventually, I don't remember how, you get connected to a 'personal' representative at JJ. You receive daily emails from her/him as well at deeper discounts. Any time you see a 'general' offer you can write to your pcp or 'personal rep' and ask what price she is offering and it will be several to many dollars less.

If you like you could email me and I will introduce you to my pcp. Her customer service is second to none, it's like 1970. tomrippe@gmailcom

Tom
jckba

Post by jckba »

I too have been using JJBuckley for the better part of the last 10 years and with a Private Client rep and I have really had no issues; good to great pricing and great customer service. My only concern with buying out of state now has to do with the ever changing shipping regulations so I would probably buy something in stock at this stage but pass on a future arrival.