2014 Meyney: A beauty!

JimHow

2014 Meyney: A beauty!

Post by JimHow »

A beautifully crafted St. Estephe. Big but without rough edges. The bouquet filled the kitchen immediately after uncorking. Splendid deep ruby color. Great finish. Quite spicy. Oh and the price is like $28-30. Serious stuff that will drink well in the JimHow young phase or twenty years from now. Another 2014 northern Medoc revelation! I'll give this an extra point for quality to price ratio... 94 points. This is a no-brainer, every BWE should have at least some of this $30 wine in their cellar. A complete and satisfying St. Estephe, very true to the appellation in my opinion, this checks off all the boxes for me. A definite competitor for 2014 BWE wine of the year.
Gerry M.

Re: 2014 Meyney: A beauty!

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm happy to read you concur with the rest of us who have tried this. The 2014 Meyney is an incredible wine and if this is any indication of where this property is headed then expect prices to rise moving forward. I'm happy to have a little more than a case of this and am looking to add more if I can find.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent ripeness. No greenness, no mouth puckering. Full-bodied but classy, pure, balanced. Earthy.
danzur

Post by danzur »

Thanks again Jim. Seems like we're finding a lot of winners in the North/Left in 2014. I concur with your "big without rough edges" comment. That seems consistent across many 2014's I've tasted as well. I need to order some Meyney.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I notice that Hubert de Boüard is now a consultant there...hmm
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Comte, as you can read in Jim's post "without rough edges", is that the de Bouard signature?

I can see Jim prefer his Bordeaux young, by he's rating. I liked the 2014 Chateau Meyney (90-91++) but think the best part is ahead in time. I like a bit more classic style too, this is why i preferred the 2011 Calon Segur and Certan de May better for now. But quality/price ratio of 2014 Meyney is unbeatable.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

I hate question credibily but how in one post placed the same day you state:

Can't shake this cold, now in its 7th day.
Coughing, sneezing, feeling like crap. Can't breathe at night.

Now how the heck can you comment: The bouquet filled the kitchen immediately after uncorking.

Now are we supposed to feel sorry for you or just be amazed that you are a super smeller smelling right through that stuffed up nose!!

Just pulling your chain but sounds like a great wine that I haven`t had before through any vintage. :mrgreen:
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm an amazing man Danny.
This wine is yet another example of: If this is modern Bordeaux, then I'll take modern Bordeaux.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It seems like its been a long time since there was a fine Meyney.

2000 and 2003 were pretty lackluster, although NM is now saying the latter has perked up a bit.

I've got another 2014 St Estephe -- Lilian Ladouys -- on deck for sampling during the holidays.

We're traveling by car, and I figure young wines are a bit more tolerant of being jostled.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a case of 2009 Meyney, I seem to recall liking that wine.
danzur

Post by danzur »

Looking forward to the note on '14 Lilian Ladouys-I have been eyeing this to purchase. I had the '12 Lilian Ladouys recently (Del Friscos NYC had it by the glass at a "reasonable" price-especially considering they also had Cheval Blanc, Screaming Eagle, DRC by the glass also :)). The '12 had a nice St. Estephe/Bordeaux character, the notes I have seen on the '14 sound like a step up from the '12.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Danzur,

I think the LL has been stellar and unsung for years. Classic and very drinkable St Estephe. If you like the region you'll like this and its a fabulous QPR year in year out. Somewhere in the future this should be an eligible BWE WOTY. I went through 2 cases of 2003 and finished the last bottle last year. Loved every bottle and only regret was not having more. The 05s have been tapped into but still great life ahead so don't want to drain the supply as fast as I went through the 03s. The 09/10/cases are untouched and 14/15/16 pending on futures. I can't remember if I ever bought any 2012s of anything???
Danny
danzur

Post by danzur »

Thanks Danny, I appreciate the comments. I'll add some Lilian to the stable....I don't have any 2012's either, but it looks like I'm going to have a lot of 2014/15/16. I'm going to need so cellar defenders :)

Just checked Winsearcher-K&L has the 2014 in stock for $19.99. :o
stefan

Post by stefan »

K&L has the 2014 Meyney for $29.99. I bought a bottle yesterday when I went to K&L to pick up the last of my wine. We'll drink it during the holidays.
AKR

Post by AKR »

dstgolf wrote:Danzur,

I think the LL has been stellar and unsung for years. Classic and very drinkable St Estephe. If you like the region you'll like this and its a fabulous QPR year in year out. Somewhere in the future this should be an eligible BWE WOTY. I went through 2 cases of 2003 and finished the last bottle last year. Loved every bottle and only regret was not having more. The 05s have been tapped into but still great life ahead so don't want to drain the supply as fast as I went through the 03s. The 09/10/cases are untouched and 14/15/16 pending on futures. I can't remember if I ever bought any 2012s of anything???
Wow. You are a big fan of L-L ! That's a lot of their vintages.

I drank a case of the 2003 L-L way too young, but it was good.

For some weird reason, it reminded me of the fruity, fat 1998 La Fleur, the St Em.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Danzur,

I wouldn`t hesitate at $19.99 for LL. Its now at $35cdn here and I still think there`s value in the bottle.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Arv,

You drink what you like and LL I like. More importantly my wife and friends have enjoyed it and it drinks well above its supposed pedigree. A much undervalued Bordeaux in my opinion and since I/we like it that`s all that counts.
Danny