TN: 2001 Ridge Lytton Springs

Nicklasss

TN: 2001 Ridge Lytton Springs

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, I was not happy when I opened a 2008 Domaine de Pégau cuvée Laurence and it was corked. I waited this bottle a few years and thought it would be ready as 2008 was a medium vintage in Chateauneuf.

To replace, I needed something I did not need to decant, so picked up my last bottle of the 2001 Ridge Lytton Springs. Color was still dark. After 16 years, the nose was still very rich but more tempered also. Nice tones of menthol, crushed red berries, aromatic herbs and red cherries. In mouth, very nice, as the rich sweetness character of the young Zin is mellowed into the rest. Very good concentrated pomegranate and cherry attack, with some light cinnamon wood. The wine had still a good volume, with light red plums, reserved red zin berries flavors, long, even if the tannins seem almost inexistant. An excellent wine and my first slightly aged zin. Tn: 91.

I bought some 2013 Ridge Geyserville that I need to keep for Béatrice majority, so until 2031, guess it should be ok.

Do you know if the Lytton Springs or the Geyservill can hold for a longer time?

Nic
JimHow

Re: TN: 2001 Ridge Lytton Springs

Post by JimHow »

Blanquito is a big fan of aged zinfandel.
My question, and I don't profess to have the answer, is:
Is aged Ridge zinfandel "better" than newly released Ridge zinfandel?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs both age very well. Whether they are better aged than young is a matter of opinion. As they age they develop complexity and the fruit becomes less jammy. I like them better aged. OTOH, the older 100% Zin Jimsomare I have drunk I thought would have been better drunk earlier. In fact, I don't recall drinking a 30 year old pure Zinfandel that I thought deserved storage for that long.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree with Stefan's comments, and would add that the blend in the Geyserville may give it a slight advantage for long haul aging over the Lytton Springs.
stefan

Post by stefan »

That is an interesting question, David. I never did a horizontal of old Geyserville vs. Lytton.
William P

Post by William P »

As a rule I don't age Zins. Though, I admit that Ridge Zins are one of the few Cali Zins that do age. Still, I have never found that doing so profoundly changed the wine. Just my .02 cents.

Bill
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I put my Ridge zins in the "to drink" section in my cellar.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

While I’ve had a few excellent Ridge Zins aged to 15-20 years that did show a complex transformation, I generally drink them young.
stefan

Post by stefan »

We drank a 2013 Ridge Geyserville with a Marco's pizza tonight (Lucie was sous vide-ing a pork roast but it did not get done in time for dinner). It is very nice--well balanced, strong fruit that is not from the can, tannins that stand up to flavorful food, good nose, etc. I think this is the right time to start drinking up 2013, that it is not a wine to hold for another 10-15 years. I intend to drink all but one of ours during the next 7-10 years and hold the last one until it is 20 years old.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks stefan for the report on the 2013 Geserville. I was having 4 bottles but consumed 3 rapidly as the wine is excellent now. After reading your report, I will try to keep the lonely bottle I have for Béatrice. The only reason to open it before, is that I would be able to replace it by another 2013 that can hold until 2031.

I also bougth a 2013 Chapoutier Hermitage that should hold that long, and a 2013 Montrose magnum. But any other suggestions (except California Cab) are welcome.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote:Last night, I was not happy when I opened a 2008 Domaine de Pégau cuvée Laurence and it was corked. I waited this bottle a few years and thought it would be ready as 2008 was a medium vintage in Chateauneuf.

To replace, I needed something I did not need to decant, so picked up my last bottle of the 2001 Ridge Lytton Springs. Color was still dark. After 16 years, the nose was still very rich but more tempered also. Nice tones of menthol, crushed red berries, aromatic herbs and red cherries. In mouth, very nice, as the rich sweetness character of the young Zin is mellowed into the rest. Very good concentrated pomegranate and cherry attack, with some light cinnamon wood. The wine had still a good volume, with light red plums, reserved red zin berries flavors, long, even if the tannins seem almost inexistant. An excellent wine and my first slightly aged zin. Tn: 91.

I bought some 2013 Ridge Geyserville that I need to keep for Béatrice majority, so until 2031, guess it should be ok.

Do you know if the Lytton Springs or the Geyservill can hold for a longer time?

Nic
Pegau's sometimes can be funky. It may not be spoiled.