TN: 96 Carmes Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan]

AKR

TN: 96 Carmes Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan]

Post by AKR »

96 Carmes Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan] Held since release, perfect cork. Normally this would be a Saturday night type of wine, but we've been traveling, so haven't had anything with complexity nor age on it, so I pulled this with a meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 12.5% abv. medium bodied. mature in color but doesn't seem to be fading at the edges. The nose is Graves typicity - ashes, cigars, some herbal notes from the CF here. On the palate its a little thin, not like the very nice trio of 98, 99*, 00. It's not fading or anything, but it likely was better younger. I am trying to remember the last time I had this vintage of CHB, maybe 10 years ago or so? The labels have changed now, as well as the winemaking style, so this is a bit of a throwback. It's a pleasure, but not my favorite vintage of that bygone era. I'll give it a B, perhaps it will get an uptick when I have the rest tomorrow.

* 1999 is probably an undervalued sleeper if you ever see it

Nicklasss

Re: TN: 96 Carmes Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan]

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice map and report Arv. I went thete in 2004 with AlexR. Very nice small Chateau, but the building (same as on the label) is very nice. The 2003 tasted than was very good.

I bought some 2015.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I remember buying and drinking the 1996 and I was struck by how accessible it was at a young age and how it was low in acidity and seemingly at the time quite hollow.

This estate has also received accolades for its 2016, which iirc has a fair bit of Cabernet franc in the blend under a new regime. I tried it and it was certainly impressive and atypical but not as good as SHL and Haut-Bailly.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Nice note, thanks AKR! I have to admit that I have a soft spot for their wines from 2000 onwards. Especially their 2000 -a wine near to perfection-, 2001-very subtle-, and 2006 -sexy, just sexy.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I finished the rest of it last night. It's gotten a little tired, so recommend CHB of this era be consumed.

There's a touch more acidity to it today.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I love LCHB in recent vintages.

This property is managed by ex winemaker at Chapouthier, Guillaume Pouthier since 2012.

There are over 40% procent Cabernet Franc in the blend, which is the highest use of this grape variety at any property at Left Bank.

LCHB is even closer to Bordeaux town than HB/LMHB.

Imho, LCHB is completely different than Haut Bailly and Smith Haut Lafite. LCHB is more flowery, aromatic and smooth than the other compatriots, Haut Bailly is more mineral and SMHL more oaky than LCHB. This is especially evident in noble vintage of 2016. In 2015 all three are equally brilliant.