TN: Lafite Vertical - More Hope than Substance?

sdr

TN: Lafite Vertical - More Hope than Substance?

Post by sdr »

LAFITE VERTICAL - MORE HOPE THAN SUBSTANCE? - Valentino's Cucina, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (12/16/2017)

Two years in the making, this vertical of Lafite was supposed to be a pinnacle of First Growth Bordeaux. We were able to include many of the top mature vintages of the last 60 years, despite one of the guests forgetting to bring one of them (the 1989). While not all of the wines had been purchased on release, all were carefully sourced and appeared to be in excellent condition, with clean labels and capsules and firm corks. We decanted them a few hours in advance and brought them to the restaurant properly chilled. Still, despite all the precautions, the stars were not aligned.
  • 1990 Pol Roger Champagne Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill - France, Champagne
    A great opener for the Lafite vertical, the ‘90 SWC is fabulous. Massive weight, very, very rich and toasty, it seems more like a Bollinger than Pol Roger but perhaps a bit more balanced. Superb Champagne in the hyper-rich style and perfectly mature. (95 pts.)
  • 1996 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This vintage of Lafite is a real beauty and one of the stars of a vertical back to 1959. Lovely deep dark ruby red, just a faint bit of amber at the meniscus. Extremely rich, luscious and ripe with the fruit in the black cherry and blueberry register. The tannins are ripe and smooth. So delicious already. It would be spectacular except for lack of bouquet and slight dryness in the finish. (94 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    A rather subdued showing for the ‘90 Lafite, this bottle seemed much older than it age despite perfect storage since release. Quite a bit of maroon color even at the center. Subdued nose, fullish body. Started out well but as it evolved it displayed overripe notes of browning fruit and what freshness it had faded. Nothing first growth here. For a “young” Lafite this bottle was puzzling and must be just an off bottle. (90 pts.)
  • 1986 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    For me, although not for everyone, this bottle was the wine of the night. Very deep color, gorgeous fragrance, endless waves of fruit. Fabulous balance. Blackberry galore with undertones of mulberry and violet, very sweet fruit. Still some unresolved tannins, but they are ripe. To my palate, it is at the early stage of maturity. The only negative was that it faded a bit in the glass after a couple of hours. A great Lafite even if it resembles Château Margaux more than first growth Pauillac. (96 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    From magnum, the ‘82 Lafite, which should have been the star of the show, was instead the most disappointing bottle of the series. Our guest had carried it down from Connecticut where it had slumbered in perfect storage since release, waiting for that one special occasion. It’s not bad of course but there was a distinct lack of mid palate density. Some cooked dark brown sugar notes, the fruit almost reached the stewed register, a mixture of sweet and sour. Slightly austere, tannins resolved but a bit coarse. Unfortunately another off bottle. (91 pts.)
  • 1975 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    After reading all the mixed reviews for the ‘75 Lafite, I was eager to taste it for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised. It’s tannic as expected for a ‘75 but very good in an old fashioned way with lots of cedar, smoke and spice. Surprisingly elegant, too. Very nice indeed. (91 pts.)
  • 1966 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Some around the table thought this bottle was corked and after a few sips, I reluctantly agreed. This was a recent purchase with a good appearance, top shoulder level, crumbly wet cork and heavy sediment on the decant. Tawny color, like tea, faint nose which is not entirely clean. Frail on the palate, tangy finish. Some thought it was musty or moldy and although I did not pick up on that, I could see it was not a good bottle. (81 pts.)
  • 1961 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Better color than the ‘66 since the ‘61 was pale mahogany and there’s lots of enjoyment here. From recent purchase from WineBid with a high shoulder level and a very fine sediment. Pinched and a bit mean yet there was some old wine sweetness, cinnamon and elegance to this light bodied Lafite. Decent energy, elusive, intriguing and complex. Not one of the top ‘61s, but it’s very nice, especially if you can see the label when you drink it. (92 pts.)
  • 1959 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This bottle, from the famous Nicolas Collection, was purchased about 25 years ago from a merchant who just got it then on re-release, which explains the impossible into neck level. In the glass it looks about 25 years old with its shimmering bright ruby red color. Subdued on the nose though. At first thrilling on the palate, superb texture, round, deep, sweet and lingering and immeasurably complex. Wow, this is fantastic. But after about 15 minutes, it waned and the acidity became too prominent. If you happen have a case or two lying around, I recommend drinking it up soon. (93 pts.)
  • 1971 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    A behemoth of a Sauternes, this bottle of ‘71 Yquem was so heavy it seemed as the bottle was too slight to contain it. Groaning with botrytis, crème brûlée and tangerine peel, it’s great if you want power rather than finesse. For me, too top heavy, though. Other bottles have been better balanced. Still, mighty impressive. (93 pts.)
"No great wines, just . . . " In addition, we agreed that it was impossible based on this tasting at least, to define a Lafite signature. I think I need a rematch. Could that be possible?
Posted from CellarTracker
stefan

Re: TN: Lafite Vertical - More Hope than Substance?

Post by stefan »

Great tasting, Stuart. Some of the underperforming but not flawed bottles might have shown better if not in a "competition".
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow. I don't know what to make of these notes.
I don't drink Lafite anymore -- I have a mixed case that includes a half dozen '96s -- and I was planning to hold them well into retirement but I'm wondering if the JimHow 8-20-year-after-vintage rule applies even to this legendary estate!
Those Lafites sound not much like the beauties you have graciously uncorked for us over the years Stuart!
I've always felt that Lafite, when on, is the pinnacle of wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

SdR, Thanks for reporting on that tasting of Chateau Lafite Rothshild. Doesn't seems as a completely unsatisfying tasting, but of course when you consider the wine and the prices for those bottles, kinda of a though conclusion.

Considering the vintages in the tasting, it is even more sad.

Lafite is often considered the best Pauillac, but compare these vintages of Lafite with the same vintages of the two other First Growth of Pauillac, while almost impossible to do, would be very interesting and maybe bringing some surprises.

Last, as we don't see bottles of Lafite often, I guess that the moment was magic anyway, with good company.

Nic
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I sold my Lafite to China where it can be consumed properly... with coca-cola ;)
jal

Post by jal »

Weird, these wines should all be singing. It seems some started strong and faded, others were just meh. The 1982 especially sounds like a flawed bottle.
I, like Robert Goulet, also sold all my Lafite, probably to the same consumers
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

The problem with selling wine is that you have to pay 25% capital gains tax on the difference between the selling and buying price. I tried to trade some of my Lafite to PC but did not like what they offered. They might as well have doubled the offer since they would have stiffed me.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the notes Stu. Sorry some of the wines underwhelmed.

Being weaned on Parker from about 30 years I was conditioned to expect a lot of disappointments from this most famous - if not greatest - estate in Bordeaux. I guess I have been lucky because I have had overwhelmingly pleasant surprises.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Other than the 1996 that Jim opened in Maine (2015) and the 1989 with Comte, Jim, Tom, etc., in New York (2009), I have not had a lot of success with Lafite. In a tasting of 1983 Bordeaux, Pichon Lalande easily topped Lafite. I gave my last bottle of 1983 to a charity auction. I was also underwhelmed by the 1990 Lafite. I was able to dispose of my last two bottles of 1990 in a trade on favorable terms.

Chris Bublitz
Claret

Post by Claret »

Last summer at Bill P's Arv generously blinded us on a bottle of the 70. Joanne and I loved it.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

The Bob panned 1970 Lafite, but I like it. It is light, but then Lafite is usually the lightest of the first growths.